LibreELEC-RR 9.x [ Emulationstation | Retroarch | Pegasus | DolphinQT | Moonlight | Chrome | Spotify ]

• Basically you need these patches Commits · sky42src/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

few questions... did you try to compile with native march flag? Just wondering is it going to work, something like:

Nope because I've tried escalades AVX2 builds in the past and there were no important performance improvements measurable. I used Dolphin as benchmark and my cpu was fast enough on AVX & nonAVX builds but the iGPU was limiting.

In fact my builds have to run on several systems with different cpu features. Lowend cpus won't profit anyway and if you build with AVX and stuff you won't gain much performance because the emulators are not optimized for this but cpus with AVX are fast enough anyway.

But of course if you use your builds only on systems that feature certain stuff you could ask escalade for details about native target flags.

For now I'm just playing with it, trying to compile this at a machine with glibc 2.27 installed... do you think should not be any issues on a target with glibc 2.29?

Your host glibc should not interfere with the one in the build root. But you can't use addons which were compiled for LE9.0 with 9.1 because several base libs were updated.

I don't have nvidia kernel module installed, tho wondering if this is normal behavior

These messages are linked to the nvidia drivers that come with LE

• have you ever considered to press the fn keys before you press F1? What is the actual model and brand of the keyboard? If you have a problem with your car do you tell the mechanic? It's blue?

I have pressed the FN key before pressinng the F1 key but nothing happens.

The problem was the hotkey. The 'alt' button was defined as a hotkey.

• Hi 5schatten! I have finally installed your great build. Thank you for your work and time!

I have an issue with the wireless keyboard+mousepad connected to my Intel nuc (Logitech). It's working fine in kodi, but in retroarch the key mapping is totally wrong (ex. - button maps to f3). I think it could be a misconfiguration at shell level. How can I configure the keyboard mapping/configuration?

Glide works fine, vulkan don't. Intel integrated graphics. Is it normal?

Thank you

• i have a , probably noob, question

In the package.mk in depend folder there is a sha256 code.

Did you make this hash code yourself, because it is not available on the makemkv download site?

This hash is generated by the download script used by LE

I have pressed the FN key before pressinng the F1 key but nothing happens.

The problem was the hotkey. The 'alt' button was defined as a hotkey.

The "alt" key isn't used in Retroarch but in Emulationstation.

Hi 5schatten! I have finally installed your great build. Thank you for your work and time!

I have an issue with the wireless keyboard+mousepad connected to my Intel nuc (Logitech). It's working fine in kodi, but in retroarch the key mapping is totally wrong (ex. - button maps to f3). I think it could be a misconfiguration at shell level. How can I configure the keyboard mapping/configuration?

Glide works fine, vulkan don't. Intel integrated graphics. Is it normal?

Thank you

Logs.

I don't know what you mean by Glide? OpenGL? Vulkan should work for specific games with Intel IGP. Dolphin should work, PPSSPP used to work but crashs right now probably due to Mesa 19.0.0-rc7 bugs or else. Most libretro cores won't work flawless with Vulkan so it makes no sense to enable it in Retroarch. Basically Vulkan makes sense for Dolphin everything else won't suffer from OpenGL or doesn't support video acceleration at all.

• Here's a recent compiler optimization benchmark: GCC 9 Compiler Tuning Benchmarks On Intel Skylake AVX-512 - Phoronix

They conclude with -O2 being the most effective option, although as you can see applications like C-Ray greatly benefit from more specific tuning. As far as I understand it, the AVX optimization of the compiler does not depend on the application itself utilizing AVX.

Would be interesting with some actual benchmarks of emulators, haven't bothered with it myself (is there a good way to do benchmarks with RetroArch?). I think there's definitely a benefit, but most likely nothing you'd be able to spot with your eyes. I really should just buy a new computer instead of obsessing over optimizations :)

• Here's a recent compiler optimization benchmark: GCC 9 Compiler Tuning Benchmarks On Intel Skylake AVX-512 - Phoronix

They conclude with -O2 being the most effective option, although as you can see applications like C-Ray greatly benefit from more specific tuning. As far as I understand it, the AVX optimization of the compiler does not depend on the application itself utilizing AVX.

Would be interesting with some actual benchmarks of emulators, haven't bothered with it myself (is there a good way to do benchmarks with RetroArch?). I think there's definitely a benefit, but most likely nothing you'd be able to spot with your eyes. I really should just buy a new computer instead of obsessing over optimizations :)

To be honest I'm not an expert if it comes to compiler optimizations. If it comes to ARM there is a huge benefit if NEON is used by the emulator and makes the difference between running at increased resolution or starts with stuttering sound as you can see at PCSX_reARMed.

I've tested Dolphin a while ago with [Unofficial] New Dolphin 5.0 CPU benchmark - results automatically updated! and there was some fluctuation but the AVX optimized build had no real impact on my performance. As I said the IGP was the bottleneck.

Stuff like beetle-psx suffers from missing x86 dynarecs so there are other problems as well. From my perspective you have either a low-end cpu like an Atom or Celeron which lacks AVX and runs not that fast or you use a more or less recent i3/i5/i7 which is fast enough to properly emulate games anyway and you won't gain any benefit since most games are capped at PAL or NTSC refresh rate or anything related to an integer divisor or them. Also there are plenty of alternatives if it comes to x86 emulation so if Mesen or BSNES won't run you could always use Nestopia or snes9x, same goes for MAME if 2016 is no option try 2003-plus or Final Burn Alpha. I still use a somewhat dated i3-6100 and I'm able to run everything at full speed. Even my cheap @$$ ~70€ J3455-ITX board is able to run most emulators & games and even simple Dolphin stuff at basic resolution. Even my oldschool x220 Thinkpad was able to run most games beside PCSX2 and Citra.

Correct me if I'm wrong but looks like -O2 & native is already the default for LE?

https://github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv/blob/master/config/optimize#L25

• You need to look at TARGET_CFLAGS which includes GCC_OPTIM: LibreELEC.tv/optimize at a98586ba336e1d396e8f6c95bae42106ec9113ac · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

So the default is still -Os.

Of course, even RPi can run arcade games at full speed, this will only matter in cores like Citra, reicast, ppsspp and the likes.

Ah I see you've set it to -O2 LibreELEC.tv/optimize at le82 · escalade/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub did you run into any problems?

Anyway Os is basically O2 without some space saving features but I guess the last note could be important,:/

I guess I should give "-O2" a try then.

• I did provide a log file, but the wrong one (?)

Here are my log files, tested the version RR-20190307 (and RR-20190308)

Kodi lists hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0 as device

You're using DP-1 as connector

Code
    2019-03-13 20:22:04.424 T:140252626810624 NOTICE: Display resolution ADJUST : DP-1: 1920x1080 @ 23.98Hz (22) (wei ght: 0.000)

So I don't see what's the problem :/ Which output did you use at my older build?

Also post a full log zip.

You could try LibreELEC Testbuilds for x86_64 (Kodi 18.0) / libreelec-generic.x86_64-9.1-milhouse-20190311210303-#0311-g28f2bb3.tar so one of Milhouse test builds which is based on master too and check if Kodi audio is working. It's possible that something is broken in 418.43 so I would revert to 410.104.

• BlaBla1973
    You could try this build Index of /testing/ it comes with the older Nvidia 410.104 driver. But beware this is a true LE 9.1 build that depends on 9.1 addons so after the update you have to wait until all LibreELEC addons pulled updates from the repo too.

escalade
    -Os saves me about 10MB compared to -O2 so my image size increased from 639MB to 649MB and I literrally couldn't care less :S/shrug
    If some programs run at least 1,5% faster it's worth it and if not it won't hurt.

HaLeXz
    If you had problems with PPSSPP & Vulkan too this is fixed in 1.8.0+ [Vulkan] anv_bind_buffer_memory: Assertion (...) failed. · Issue #11882 · hrydgard/ppsspp · GitHub

• Build RR-20190308-82b98b0 is online

• added PulseAudio volume control for emulators & frontends -> use the slider in the RR Config audio section to adjust it to your needs
    • updated to latest LE 9.x
    • upgraded Generic & RPi kernel to 4.19.27
    • updated to mesa-19.0.0-rc7
    • updated vulkan to 1.1.102
    • updated several libretro-cores
    • updated citra & dolphin

If you run into problems use build 604e2e4 which does not support PulseAudio volume control.

Hello mate

Just wanted to say thanks for a great build.

I have just updated to the above version, kodi is working all good with sound options but when I start emulationstation intially I had no sound playing on the videos and all the sound in the games are playing really slow and weird sounding, so had a read through here and used the rr config addon to change to HDMI dev 1 and changed backend audio to pulse from ALSA.

Did a reboot and now the sound is great playing the videos etc.

The problem I'm having is that when I start any game in any system the audio in the game itself is playing really slow and muffled low tones instead of normal.

All the games sounds were working on the previous version I was using which was RR-201907-011018c i believe.

I have tried everything from changing the hdmi to changing the audio back end from pulse to ALSA but still nothing in the games it still just plays really slowly.

Im on the generic build with built in intel graphics.

Cheers for any help with this.

Crookers

• You've tried to disable tsched if you use PA? In the past I had hard coded tsched=0 which disabled it for all systems but now you can enable or disable it if you need to.

Anyway I need logs. /shrug

• Hi

I hadn't tried that but I have just tried it now and also disabling the udev option above it as well and the problem still persists.

Which logs do you require? the standard kodi logs or emulationstation?

cheers