Geniatech Mygica HDStar DVB-S2 USB HD not working

• Hi Meiden. Are you using a Rpi?

Would be good to know if anyone has the HD Star v3 or equivalent working on RPi and if so what they are using to give me something to persist with? I've lost countless hours now and all I've got to show for it is a bit more familiarity with the command line.

Hi Booza,

Nope. I'm afraid I'm using a mini-itx computer with Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS.

• Crazycat

Different compile error with Kernel 5.6.3:

MODPOST 714 modules

ERROR: "fwnode_get_name" [/home/gio/kernelbuild/media_build/v4l/v4l2-fwnode.ko] undefined!

make[3]: *** [scripts/Makefile.modpost:93: __modpost] Errore 1

make[2]: *** [Makefile:1596: modules] Error 2

make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/gio/kernelbuild/linux-5.6.3'

make[1]: *** [Makefile:53: default] Errore 2

make[1]: uscita dalla directory «/home/gio/kernelbuild/media_build/v4l»

make: *** [Makefile:26: all] Errore 2

This error is the same as linuxtv media_build

Tried to patch upstream kernel (5.6.3 sources) with Brad Love patches from Linux V4L/DVB mailing list - Patchwork

But they don't work. m88ds3103 is not invoked (always picked up ds3000).

So, for now, only solution are updatelee drtivers, that still work.

If someone has other solutions,

thank you

sdf

• Tried with recent kernels (5.6.7 yesterday).

Same "fwnode_get_name" error.

Seems it depends on linuxtv.org sources, but don't know what to do.

Didn't save old kernels.

Brad Love patches for upstream kernels don't work (still picks ds3000).

Using Updatelee (5.4.30 kernel), the only drivers that work at the moment.

Can someone advice developers?

Thank you,

sdf

• if you have a hdstar_v3 device than you can build plain upstream media_tree with dw2102.patch

device will pick m88ds3103 and brad love patches already included to upstream

don't forget the put firmware files dvb-demod-m88ds3103.fw and dvb-demod-m88ds3103b.fw to /etc/firmware

• if you have a hdstar_v3 device than you can build plain upstream media_tree with dw2102.patch

device will pick m88ds3103 and brad love patches already included to upstream

don't forget the put firmware files dvb-demod-m88ds3103.fw and dvb-demod-m88ds3103b.fw to /etc/firmware

Thank you!

Will try with latest 5.6.7 sources

Bye,

sdf

• sorry olci, maybe there has been a misunderstanding.

If I build from media_build.git - Build system to compile media subsystem on legacy kernels

I have a compile error ("fwnode_get_name" error).

The same with Crazycat media_build (that comes from linuxtv media_build)

Don't know if you have tried and with which system.

I'm on arch linux and 5.6.7 kernel but the compile error depends from media_build sources.

I've tried also to compile upstream (vanilla) kernel with these Brad Love patches:

Linux V4L/DVB mailing list - Patchwork

and kernel compiles succesfully, but have no effects on my hdstar v3 (still picks up ds3000).

So the actual situation is:

1) linuxtv and Crazycat media_builds are unusable (compile error);

2) Vanilla kernel unusable (no drivers and/or patches);

3) Only drivers that work (today) are Updatelee's drivers from Chris Lee / v4l-updatelee · GitLab (kernel 5.4.30), compile succesfully and perfectly working.

Obviously the same situation is for Libreelec (that is unusable for Hdstar v3 owners for many years), that relies on normal kernel and Crazycat tbs (not media_build) drivers.

Thank you,

sdf

• discussion and patch for "fwnode_get_name" error

if you need to build media_tree you have to rebuild your kernel with patch or you can build vanilla kernel 5.7-rc3 with my dw2102.patch.txt

either way both will work but there is another m88ds3103 patch just drop to media_tree if you decide go with vanilla kernel I recommend to apply that patch in kernel too

Edited 2 times, last by olci (April 29, 2020 at 5:55 PM).

• Thank you olci!

Before your latest post I've successfully compiled drivers.

This is what I've made.

1. Compiled 5.7 rc3 from original kernel.org source without any patch (obvoiusly picked up ds3000)

2. Downloaded linuxtv git media_build

3. run ./build from media_build dir

4. run make install

5. rebooted

6. Verified that still picked up ds3000

7. Applied your patch

8. run again make and make install frrom media_build dir

9. rebooted and voilà! all working

If I understand correctly, I can obtain the same result simply applying the two patches to original kernel.org sources, without even downloading linuxtv media_build?

Thank you,

sdf

P.S. Crazycat media_build still didn't compile successfully (a different error not fwnode)

• you will get same result with patched vanilla kernel

• you will get same result with patched vanilla kernel

Ok thank you!

Will try and report back.

There's no possibility to include these patches in kernel sources?

This way, when 5.7 becomes stable, we will also have libreelec working.

Bye,

sdf

• my patch does the job way dirty to add support hdstar_v3 id in source there is no way to include sorry :(

crazycat's drivers can be installed in libreelec you can try

• crazycat's drivers can be installed in libreelec you can try

Tried your patch with kernel.org 5.6.8: it works perfectly.

Unfortunately Libreelec has only Crazycat's TBS drivers, not media_build (taken from linux.tv media_build), and are not compatbile with v3.

So nowadays the only way to use Libreelec for us Hdstar v3 owners is to compile Librelec from scratch patching normal kernel drivers with your patch.

As you may have noticed, I'm not an expert nor a programmer, but it seems to me that your patch substitutes hdstar (v2) with Technotrend s2 4600, so if I apply your patch, hdstar v2 and s2 4600 shoudn't work anymore.

If it is so, your patch can't be applied to libreelec (or kernel) sources.

What I'm asking is: there's no other way to make this patch work only adding support to v3 without sacrificing support for other dvb devices?

Or better: can we integrate Crazycat's media_build or updatelee drivers to librelelec?

Thank you,

sdf

• I checked crazycat's sources there is support for all of versions hdstar you should try to build and test i think it's gonna work

Code
    git clone --depth=1 https://bitbucket.org/CrazyCat/media_build
    cd media_build 
    ./build
    sudo make install
  • I checked crazycat's sources there is support for all of versions hdstar you should try to build and test i think it's gonna work

Thank you olci.

If you look back in this thread, Crazycat has announced his support for v3 on Jan 26th here: Geniatech Mygica HDStar DVB-S2 USB HD not working.

From there on, I successfully compiled CrazyCat drivers until March 9th: Geniatech Mygica HDStar DVB-S2 USB HD not working.

My Hdstar works perfectly with CrazyCat's media_build.

After that, CrazyCat media_build can't be compiled anymore.

tried also with 5.7rc3 but had an error.

Anyway, CrazyCat media_build isn't part of Libreelec sources, so last chance is to compile LibreElec (that has kernel sources) with your patch.

Bye,

sdf

• Tried again to compile Crazycat's media_build against 5.7.0 rc3.

Had this compile error (seems depending on cycitv.c):

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Thank you,

sdf

• Tried again to compile Crazycat's media_build against 5.7.0 rc3.

Had this compile error (seems depending on cycitv.c):

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Thank you,

sdf

if you have libreelec you just need to enable tbs drivers in driver addons than it should work