Geniatech Mygica HDStar DVB-S2 USB HD not working

  • Sorry for my interrupt but I've got the same problem with an other setup.

    I have a TVHeadend server on a Arch Linux distribution with a Terratec Cinergy S2 PCIe dual reciever card in it.

    This card identidies itself as two USB adapters and uses the dw2102 driver with the dvb-fe-ds3103.fw firmware.

    I installed the Crazycat media_build because that is the only build where some people reported to have succes with.

    That build create the adapters and can be found in TVHeadend but they don't work.

    dmesg |egrep "firmware|dvb|frontend" gives exactly the same output as Devegoo mentioned under post #102.

    I think that if the solution is found here I can use that as well.

  • Hi,


    Newbie here.... I just got a Terratec Cinergy S2 USB box, which turns out to be a Rev. 4, so no luck with the LE 9.0. Is there any way to get this box working, and / or can I help? I have several PC's and Pi2/Pi3 devices to run tests on..

    Thanks in advance!

  • I managed to download the media-build source code off bitbucket and compile it against the most recent Ubuntu 16.04 kernel (4.15.0-45). My DVB-S2 device is now working correctly on an Intel Atom Media PC, which is great. Thanks very much to crazycat ,@CvH and anyone else who helped get the device working.


    Just for the sake of completeness, I double checked the LibreELEC build I reported on in my last post. The build seems to match the one uploaded to Index of /test/ds3103b/. The kernel log also confirmed modules were being added from the 'kernel-overlays/driver.dvb.crazycat' folder. As before, I couldn't get the device to load.

    After reading your rather promising post, I tried it myself to get my S4600 from 2014 running again. It used to work, until last week before a kernel update.

    So I set out and compiled the media-build source into my Ubuntu 16.04 kernel 4.15.0-45 but with no success.

    Interesting part is, Chip ID is declared unknown. Before I applied the patches from crazycat, the Chip ID was 23, but it still would not work.

    I'm about to try to revert back to a really old kernel, just to see if I can get this dang Technotrend USB box going again.


    Original without patch:

    Code
    1. [ 5.015268] m88ds3103 0-0068: Unknown device. Chip_id=23
    2. [ 5.015288] dvb-usb: no frontend was attached by 'TechnoTrend TT-connect S2-4600'


    With crazycat patch: (but still not working)

    Edited 3 times, last by Scummer ().

  • Hi Scummer,


    If your device is from 2014 then it will be using an earlier version of the 'M88DS3103 demodulator' chip so it won't be exactly the same issue. If you have still got access to kernel 4.15.0-45 with the CrazyCat drivers installed I'd try enabling the ds3k module's debug option (i.e. create a conf file in the '/etc/modprobe.d' directory with the line 'options ds3k debug=1'). It won't fix the issue, but it may provide a few more details. If you can find out when the device stopped working you may be able to work out what changes broke support for your device. I'd also try the most recent stable Linux kernel version without Crazycat's drivers installed (i.e. deb packages available from here).


    I sometimes get the 'dw2102: i2c transfer failed.' message. I think it has something to do with the USB connection being subject to a high load. Anyway, I'd try the following, if you haven't already:


    - Double check the device isn't plugged into a USB 1 port (you can use the 'lsusb -t' command if you are unsure).

    - Try not to plug the device into an external USB hub (at least until you've got it working correctly).

    - Reset the S4600 device before starting the computer (i.e. unplug the power cable, wait a few seconds and then plug the power it back in).


    Regards,

    David


    p.s.

    You'd also probably get more attention if you started a new thread, since it is a different issue.