Bad wifi support?

• I have, maybe, 5 Pis with the latest libreelec version on them. I am currently running network wires to all of them since using wifi is nothing but buffer, buffer, buffer. I know it works fine (wifi) as I use it on windows laptops and android tablets. Why is the pi (or libreelec) so spotty with wifi?

Thanks!

• Official Post

The RPi 3B+ has the wifi/bt module from the RPi Zero W, which is apparently "better" than its predecessors as far as hardware goes. Still, the RPi's antenna is simply small comparted to external antennas. In terms of software/drivers there is not much you can do, working with LibreELEC.

Windows laptops & Android have different hardware and different drivers. The one thing you could do is do a speed test with all hardware involved, and see what is the outcome.

Wifi surely can have its advantages, but the outright winner with network speeds is always the device with the cabled ethernet connection.

• Official Post

I've been thru the same issue. My solution was a cheap $10 USB 2.5/5Ghz wifi adapter with a decent antenna (Something like This) and I haven't had any problems. Set to 5Ghz I can stream from my NAS upstairs to my LE downstairs without issues.

Home plug is another solution but a real pain trying to find a "clean" socket.

• Well I got my new wifi dongle (as you suggested, same model) and it did connect to my network once. But now it wont. I disabled the internal one as you suggested. Any thoughts?

• Official Post

See previous #6 this was solved Here".

If it's the same error as I had it's due to the lack of a MAC address, so it will connect once with a random MAC address but after a reboot, you'll get a new MAC address, so it will forget everything like password or IP address if static.

Obviously set the MAC address to something notable, especially if you're using, or plan to use more than one adapter. I changed the last 3 digits to the 192.168.0.nnn IP address as I have static IPs. Of course you could always add a DHCP reservation in the router if you want.

Otherwise if not the error, post debug logs. dmesg and kodi.log How to provide log files