Libre elec not recognising HD's on S912 device

• Or a cheap little 2-Bay NAS

I get that you're trying to help but that is not really solving the problem.
    I assume that more people have this problem not just me? How is it working for you guys? or am I the only one using actual harddisks via usb directly lol

I am saving for an expensive NAS configuration so it won't be here for quite some time.

• Official Post

I assume that more people have this problem not just me? How is it working for you guys?

If that were the case, lots of more people would have filed a 'complaint', but AFAICS that is not the case. It could be another weird implementation of a (cheap) S912 board, although MiniX is not an anonymous brand.

Personally I mostly use PC hardware, and sometimes a Wetek HUB (S905) and a Nvidia Shield TV.

• I assume that more people have this problem not just me? How is it working for you guys? or am I the only one using actual harddisks via usb directly lol

I also use some external harddrives via usb - no problem

It´s OK to save money, but if the cheap reason is not working ....

BTW:

What is expensive for You ?

I bought a little NAS system as a christmas gift for my sister - < 100€

• No matter what I do, switch docking station or HD it will not pick up certain HD's.
    What can I do?

How are these "docking stations" powered ?

What I'm asking is are you drawing USB power for the HDD's from the MINIX U9 ?

It's really common to have HDD problems when powering 2.5" HDD's from ARM based Chipset media players.

All it takes is a marginal power supply to the media player and you will have issues.

• How are these "docking stations" powered ?

I totally agree. I thought it was too obvious to ask.

I NEVER use USB powered Hard Drive Enclosures NEVER.

I had one where it mounted but i could hear clicking noises from the hard drive inside.

That is a recipe for hard drive failure and corruption.

• How are these "docking stations" powered ?

What I'm asking is are you drawing USB power for the HDD's from the MINIX U9 ?

It's really common to have HDD problems when powering 2.5" HDD's from ARM based Chipset media players.

All it takes is a marginal power supply to the media player and you will have issues.

No they have their own power supply, also I have this with normal external WD harddrives. Just that, so it happens the movie im wanting to watch is on the "seperate disks" i use in my dockings.

• I also use some external harddrives via usb - no problem

It´s OK to save money, but if the cheap reason is not working ....

BTW:

What is expensive for You ?

I bought a little NAS system as a christmas gift for my sister - < 100€

If that is the case then surely there must be a reason or solution. I can't be one of the few? When I have like 14 harddisks and all of them different brands and even dockings stations have this issue. All have their own power supply.

I can't buy a cheap nas because, i have got a huge setup and a small nas won't cut it for that. I need file redudancy raid 5 etc.
    And it will cost me +- 1500 euro because i need new drives aswell to create that scenario.

• I totally agree. I thought it was too obvious to ask.

I NEVER use USB powered Hard Drive Enclosures NEVER.

I had one where it mounted but i could hear clicking noises from the hard drive inside.

That is a recipe for hard drive failure and corruption.

So use a powered hub / a y cable. Then there's no issue.

@ the op...

If it's worked before then I would try:

- sticking the drive in a windows pc and running chkdsk from the command prompt;

- if that doesn't fix it try a new LE install on a fresh sd card, see if the drives are recognised;

- if still no joy try a new LE install using the LE version that's worked for you in the past.

FWIW I'm using a raspberry pi v1 (costs basically the price of a coffee now) connected to the router and a couple of 5TB (powered) drives. It's only a temporary arrangement (we're between houses) but it hasn't missed a beat so far, so the server has stayed in its box.

• I have just plugged in a usb stick, it shows a message. I assume your's doesn't

So, if you go to file manager, add new source, browse, Root filesystem, media, can you see a hard drive there?

• Tried the first suggestion, the 2nd one, and the 3rd one aswell.
    The harddrive and or docking station in question that is having an issue now was working a day before i posted this thread!
    So yes it defintely was working.
    I must also note I have this in the default Android - Kodi setup.
    No message is shown when connecting a drive, but only upon removing the drive it will say " drive xxx removed"

• I must also note I have this in the default Android - Kodi setup.

I never have plugged it in an android device.

I tried to help you previously when i advised you that there are files Possibly from Android that is the problem. Better get your facts straight as i solved this issue in my previous reply to you. So you have plugged these hard drives into Android. #11

• If I were Sherlock, I would take an educated hunch and believe there is some sort of junk content on the "troublesome" HDD's causing issues. :dodgy:

If may even be password protected .rar or .zip files. I've seen that sort of stuff cause Kodi all sorts of problems.

• I tried to help you previously when i advised you that there are files Possibly from Android that is the problem. Better get your facts straight as i solved this issue in my previous reply to you. So you have plugged these hard drives into Android. #11

Actually that was after you made that post. I came up with the idea to try it with the regular OS.

• If I were Sherlock, I would take an educated hunch and believe there is some sort of junk content on the "troublesome" HDD's causing issues.

chrisssj2 Can you try and plug the trouble hard drives into usb port of your router.

Then add to source via file manager of your box.

Then navigate to the hard drive and see the files that way.

Delete anything strange . Just leave the movies/tv files.

Probably able to use computer to see files as well.

• If I were Sherlock, I would take an educated hunch and believe there is some sort of junk content on the "troublesome" HDD's causing issues. :dodgy:

If may even be password protected .rar or .zip files. I've seen that sort of stuff cause Kodi all sorts of problems.

There is nothing of the sorts on some of those drives.
    Some other drives may contain some rar files Not PW protected though.
    So yeah.. idk.