Openelec user want to migrate

• i'm a long time xbmc and openelec user, can anyone describe to me is it the LE file structure the same like in OE, the storage, userdata, and addons, if only i just change system and kernel files, is the storage still usable? thanks

• i'm a long time xbmc and openelec user, can anyone describe to me is it the LE file structure the same like in OE, the storage, userdata, and addons, if only i just change system and kernel files, is the storage still usable? thanks

LibreELEC uses the same file structure, so 'crossgrading' to LibreELEC will not change things in that respect.

• Quote from Klojum

LibreELEC uses the same file structure, so 'crossgrading' to LibreELEC will not change things in that respect.

cool, thanks, so beside the name, are there some features that OE doesnt have or vice versa? and there are a lot chinesse no name amlogic box spreading around which OE doesnt officially support, is it LE will support it? excuse my english :)

Edited once, last by 2ami (April 17, 2016 at 4:48 AM).

• cool, thanks, so beside the name, are there some features that OE doesnt have or vice versa? and there are a lot chinesse no name amlogic box spreading around which OE doesnt officially support, is it LE will support it? excuse my english :)

Not really at the moment, Libreelect have just recently forked away from openelec so the code is mostly the same as they set things up to become independent from openelec, but since many of the members of the OE team moved to form LE then LE should be updated faster and more often or so i heard especially when new kodi versions are released. As for official support for the no name chinese boxes, thats doubtful as the boxes that do get official support as you say are usually sponsors. I dont think Libreelec has any sponsors like that yet.

Edited once, last by JJK9 (April 17, 2016 at 5:09 AM).

• it would be nice if LE could support it, as so many users own these boxes and its gank (clone), actually most user only want kodi alone on their box not android, because its cheap and low energy consumtion to replace htpc, even some are cheaper than rpi, it also include remote and casing, if only LE could make special team to concentrate on this segment, i think it would get so many potential users who want to support the development by donation,maybe someday even amlogic will support the development and let alone OE develop for their x86 and sponsors, so it wont rival each other :)

Edited once, last by 2ami (April 17, 2016 at 5:49 AM).

• it would be nice if LE could support it, as so many users own these boxes and its gank (clone), actually most user only want kodi alone on their box not android, because its cheap and low energy consumtion to replace htpc, even some are cheaper than rpi, it also include remote and casing, if only LE could make special team to concentrate on this segment, i think it would get so many potential users who want to support the development by donation,maybe someday even amlogic will support the development and let alone OE develop for their x86 and sponsors, so it wont rival each other

The android versions have nothing to do with libreelec, openelec or OSMC as they are all linux operating systems with kodi over the top and not android which is just the normal Kodi android version, quite often with pirate addons and useless junk pre installed as well. I think on some boxes it might be possible to replace the android os with one of these builds but it can be risky, I bricked one android device doing it and am now on the pi.

• Quote from JJK9

The android versions have nothing to do with libreelec, openelec or OSMC as they are all linux operating systems with kodi over the top and not android which is just the normal Kodi android version, quite often with pirate addons and useless junk pre installed as well. I think on some boxes it might be possible to replace the android os with one of these builds but it can be risky, I bricked one android device doing it and am now on the pi.

exactly, bricking is a common problem because there are no official support even from the box maker, because they sell pirate addon stuff, thats why i'm suggesting we create community support with stable kodi software for these boxes, i will donate for LE, and i believe hundreds more user will do so, people with these cheap boxes no where to get help,

• No the bricking is from the process of replacing the android version installed on the device and can happen no matter how good the replacement software is. Officially supported hardware are usually the ones that ship with openelec already installed or like with the raspberry pi it is really easy to install due to it being installed on the sd card.

• btw i'm using mxq pro, i installed unofficial openelec on sd card, and android on internal nand, it just like dual booting on pc, if i remove sd card the box boots to android, if i plug it in, it boots to OE,so i dont need to worry bricking, as OE wont interfere the nand, the guy who built it believe his name is alex, good for you as rasb pi user, so many developer support it, even OE but not mine, i hope LE born for this kind of liberation :)

Edited once, last by 2ami (April 17, 2016 at 7:24 AM).

• The Amlogic hardware scene is fragmented with a ton of different devices and there is patchy upstream Linux support from Amlogic (who focuses on Android) so "it boots and can run Kodi" is not always an indication of "will run Kodi really well" and we care deeply about doing things well. There is also the piracy problem. There are "MX" boxes and there are 100+ knock-offs of MX boxes and I'd guess about 99% of the MX boxes in circulation have not paid licensing fees to Dolby etc. and the Chinese manufacturers churning clones out in volume are the same folk who will helpfully pre-install OpenELEC with 100+ "free streaming" plugins and sell them in bulk to the eBay sellers. It's really a shame as we work closely with Alex on many other things; but the piracy issues around a general purpose Amlogic project are a barrier to moving things forwards. LibreELEC will be happy to work with reputable box manufacturers with properly licensed and supported Amlogic-based products, but those are a minority..

• I'm aware the piracy issue to be a very serious concern among developers, but as we know, piracy is not just happening in the Amlogics world , gaming has it, satellite TV has it, even x86 version also has it, people could find free illegal TV and addons on the internet, but that does not mean they would stop people developing the software, it's just a matter of "who will use the knife to cook or to kill".

I just suggesting that LE provides additional options that OE does not provides, for the logic "why the new name are for?" when actually it is just the clone of the sibling. When Kodi available freely to all available product on the planet such as smartTV, boxes, even smartphone, don't you realize that you just created a history of humankind.

But nevertheles, tbh i'm speaking on behalf of my personal benefit :), it's up to you guys to decide the good and the bad impact of everything, keep up the good work.