Accessing network problems, again- (Kind-of)SOLVED!

• After it says it has timed out, "do you want to add this anyway" say yes.

Then reboot,

Then browse to the network you have created.

Good idea, and I tried it but ...... no difference sorry.

Please show the share settings in windows. If it's your windows user then use this user plus the login password for windows

There's screen captures of those a page or two back I think. And in the last video link I posted.

Thanks for trying fellas ....

• Please go to the properties of the folder on windows 10, and then take Screenshots from tabs security and shared properties (or all tabs)

Is you windows firewall enabled?

Can you access the folder on windows 10 from windows?

• Okay I think I have all the screen captures you wanted.

The firewall (W10 Defender) was on, but I tried it again just then with it completely off and there's no difference - still returns an "Invalid Argument"

You mean access this shared folder on this WIndows pc from another Windows pc? I tried that earlier today with no luck.

• From another Windows computer on the same network, enter File Explorer and at the very top of the window, click a blank area in the long drop-down box directly under the word VIEW. The words there should turn blue. Enter the Windows 10 IP address exactly like this: \\192.168.0.8 and press enter. You should see all your shared folders in the right pane.

You can also press the Windows start button in the bottom left corner and type \\192.168.0.8 and press enter. That should display your shared folders too.

Edited 5 times, last by blueribb (May 20, 2018 at 3:19 PM).

• Thanks for that - I'm going to try to set-up NFS sharing first. If I can't get that working I've had enough of it all and I'll have a break for a while. I can still put files on a USV stick and play them from the LE box.
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

• Thanks anyway but I'm done with this a**ehole thing. I've spent nearly three weeks trying to get it to work and nothing has worked. I just spent an hour or so trying NFS (the LE box froze every time I tried it, upnp will not show the shared folders) so that's that.

I'll try again some time in the future, until then I'll just plug a USB stick into the LE box and watch vids that way. Thanks to everyone that tried to help.

• I tried on the W7 pc, I turned on sharing needing a password (Change Advanced Sharing Settings) but it never asks for a password in any menu I can find.

Windows allows you to set the password of a user when you create the new Windows user - that's where you set the password, in the Windows "User Accounts" Control Panel. If you haven't created a user *with a password* then you won't be able to authenticate using SMB when connecting to a Windows share as Microsoft recently made authentication mandatory. Once you've created the Windows user with a password, add this user to your Windows share with the relevant Windows file permissions.

When you access the share from LibreELEC (with default settings) you should then use the new Windows username/password for authentication.

Also, you have posted the contents of your passwords.xml where you appear to be using a username/password of kodi:kodi (all lowercase), but then in one of your Windows screenshots you've added a user called Kodi (uppercase K), and in yet another screenshot you're using a user called libreelec. This conflicting information doesn't make solving this issue any easier, but points more strongly towards an incorrect configuration.

If you've tried accessing the Windows 10 share from Windows 7 and you are not being prompted for a username/password in Windows 7, then you have not configured the Windows 10 share correctly.

If Windows 7 can't access the share then then chances are something is hosed on your Windows 10 PC, perhaps you've twiddled one too many random knobs.

• I wonder if the problem could be router related. If his Windows 7 machine can't access the Windows 10 computer, either the router is bad or his Windows 10 machine is hosed.

I'm sure he must have rebooted the router.

I don't have the patience to read all the posts again, but is this a wired network ?

• A small but useless update.

I really didn't want to do a full network reset but I took a deep breath and did it. So everything was factory-fresh again. I carefully added a new user, 'libreelec' as an admin. I added libreelec to the shares on a few directories and it did look like that was happening as the green line thing happening as all the files were added. So I tried to access this W10 pc with the LE box .... exactly the same errors popped up as before. I tried a lot of different combinations of passwords (log-in & password were also libreelec) and server (captain in lower & upper case, IP address) and directories (Movie, movie) but none of them would work. When the error messages popped up, I added the share path anyway, as suggested earlier, but the LE box would still not access the shared folder.
    So not a thing better sorry.

• Can you access your Windows 10 shares with your Win 7 computer ?

Type \\192.168.0.8 after clicking the Windows 7 start button or follow my instructions in post #79 above. If you can't access your shares, then the problem is NOT your Libreelec machine.

• Yeah I figure it's not the LE box, it's something on the W10 pc that I'm not doing correctly. I just don't know what it is.
    I have to do a little work on the other W7 pc, I'll see if I can get access through that - Letcha know soon.

Edit - I just found this video, it's got more info than a lot of other ones I've seen and I'm trying it now.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I made another video for anyone here to see if I'm doing anything incorrectly.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

On the LE box side of things I tried an smb connection using captain, CAPTAIN, and 192.168.0.7. For the share folder I tried Movie and movie. I tried all of those with and without using log-ins & passwords. I tried to see any shared folders on the other PC on this network, a W7 box. It shows this pc on the network but any attempt to connect is refused. The network troubleshooter can't fix it (zero surprise there) when it asks if I want to fix it. I tried all of that on the W7 box with and without the firewall on this W10 pc on.

Edit - When I use this pc's name (captain) LE spits out the error 'Invalid argument'. When I use the IP address, it spits out "connection timed out" or something like that.