@balbes150 LE images with Kodi-19 for S9xxx

• Thanks,

Also tried with another S905x - Sunvell T95m - 2G/8G that also works with older LE. Same behaviour on that box - infinite boot loop.

NOTE:Very first time booting after the install, there is text down left hand side of screen and the final message is "Reached target Kodi Media Center" or something similar (can't recall exact wording). It suggests that everything is good to go, but we just get boot loops.

Maybe the dtb is the cause??

Tried the latest and now gets one stage further with message "UDevil mount service started" on first boot after initial installation, but still get infinite boot loop afterwards.

If the install proceeds normally (which it does), then that would suggest the right dtb is being used. I would have thought if the dtb was the wrong on, the install would not proceed?

Edited once, last by ukmark62 (July 17, 2019 at 8:25 PM).

• Tried the latest and now gets one stage further with message "UDevil file system mounted" on first boot after initial installation, but still get infinite boot loop afterwards.

I have the exact problem with my S905W box. Infinite boot loops although after first install I get scrolling text ending in 'Reached target Kodi Media Center'. I've been trying to run LibreELEC for the past month or so and it's the same with every image.

• I have the exact problem with my S905W box. Infinite boot loops although after first install I get scrolling text ending in 'Reached target Kodi Media Center'. I've been trying to run LibreELEC for the past month or so and it's the same with every image.

For me all AMLGX images boot and work basically nice on x96mini (p281, s905w) 2/16.

NIC OK (USB-Wifi works too..)

USB-Sound OK (HDMI audio not tested since I got no speakers on screen)

Remote OK

Local video/audio files(NAS, USB-Drive) play flawless.
    Only issue I got (with every image after 2019-05-22) is that on several streams I got audio working but no picture(screen stays white or shows single frame). But I never got bootloops or similar.
    So maybe you got an defective card!? Which version did you try?
    Which dtb did you enter in config files? For me meson-gxl-s905w-p281.dtb is/was always the best working one on s905w..

• I doubt it's a defective card because CoreELEC installs normally on it. And yes, I use meson-gxl-s905w-p281.dtb.

But is it possible that maybe I'm doing something wrong in the installation process or using the wrong image file? I use S905 images. Should I maybe try S905X?

• Yes, you should use the s905x images!..

I tried the S905X image and it's the same. So I guess I should try the universal multi-boot option even though I don't quite understand what it does. I mean, I can boot from an SD card and I get to the LibreELEC logo, but I'm stuck in a boot loop. So activating universal multi-boot can fix that issue?

• For all.

If you have run coreelec or an older version of LE. To launch new versions should be upgraded as a universal multi-boot to a new version (script aml_autoscript latest images). Older multi-boot versions have errors that are not compatible with newer versions.

Thanks!

All is working now :)

Follow procedure here (worked for me):- There is a lot of info on the net about the multi-boot procedure but I thought I'd try to write it down in steps.

1. Download following file multi-boot fix.zip:-

2. Extract the 2 files from this zip file - "aml_autoscript" and "aml_autoscript.zip"

3. Format SD card (I used rufus) to FAT32.

4. Copy "aml_autoscript" and "aml_autoscript.zip" to this SD card.

5. Turn on android box and boot into android.

6. Insert SD card and then use "Update & Backup" app within android to "select" "aml_autoscript.zip" and then run "update".

7. Box will reboot and make changes to internal u-boot files.

8. When finished, box should reboot to android.

9. Remove SD card and perform normal install of "img.gz" file to SD card using rufus etc.

10. Change "UEnv.ini" and "extlinux.conf" to appropriate dtb (I have S905x box so I used "meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb"

11. Insert SD card and turn on box.

12. LibreELEC goes thru install procedure and then reboots into LibreELEC.

Edited once, last by ukmark62 (July 18, 2019 at 5:10 PM).

• Because I could rarely use the test images this thread is about, I tried the most recent nightly from CoreELEC on my 905x2 X96 max 2G/16G box this morning.

I am very pleasantly surprised at the result ...... particularly as this is the first nightly to support this box ....

wireless is not presently working

the SD card will not boot from SD slot but can be booted from SD to USB adapter in the USB3 slot

For my use case ...... watching 1080 Live TV and recorded video etc .... it is actually functional now!

I use it to view live TV from a server running tvheadend, and the stored videos/movies on several devices.

What a surprise! I am also impressed with the display quality of this box when compared to others I have used and tried, at or near the same price point.

I hope this is seen for what it is ..... not a promotional thing for CE but something that might help others with problems using their x96 Max boxes at the present time.

• Thank you. I finally managed to boot into LibreELEC. The latest image was no good, but the previous one allowed me to boot into LibreELEC but every single video I tried freezes after about 5 seconds. So now it's all about testing images and seeing which one is the best one for my s905W box.

At least I'm past the boot loops now. :)

• I have installed the img of the official LE on the Khadas VIM1. It works without complaints, except if you turn on the sound track of the DTS/Dolby, then turn on mp3/aac/flac, then the sound disappears. Does it make sense to upgrade to this version? What are the advantages over the official one? What's the difference?

---

У меня установлен образ LE официальный, приставка Khadas VIM1. Работает без нареканий, за исключением, если включить звуковую дорожку DTS/Dolby, потом включить mp3/aac/flac, то звук пропадает. Есть ли смысл переходить на эту версию? Какие она дает преимущества перед официальной? В чем отличие?

• I've already given up hope

..that is what I got on all images after 20190522: either few seconds showing and then frozen video(audio still working) or white screen with working audio.
    Last Image which worked for me quite good(streams and local files work) is that: LibreELEC-AMLGX.arm-9.1-devel-20190522171931-a41fdf1-box.img.gz

Same for me, that one works seems to work okay on the WP2.

Obviously HDMI bitstreaming is still WIP, and the standard WeTek mutliboot is bypassed but it's getting there.

• For all.

If you have run coreelec or an older version of LE. To launch new versions should be upgraded as a universal multi-boot to a new version (script aml_autoscript latest images). Older multi-boot versions have errors that are not compatible with newer versions.

hmmm when you state older versions of LibreELEC (how old?) and ref ukmark62 earlier post what is your recommended method to check current status and correct?

Also to install and then maintain ability to boot between LibreELEC installed on SD (Latest version i.e. 20190716) into Android running on EMMC and vice-versa chewitt mentioned that there is no plan to support multiboot feature within an official version of LibreELEC so how would users like myself of KVIM2 get around this planned limitation. (i.e. via a future LibreELEC addon)

• get around this planned limitation.

boot with inserted card = os on card,

boot without card = system on eMMC...
    if you don't swap 50x per hour it should be not that big problem to go to box and insert/eject the card when rebooting the box!?

• boot with inserted card = os on card,

boot without card = system on eMMC...
    if you don't swap 50x per hour it should be not that big problem to go to box and insert/eject the card when rebooting the box!?

Understood, except this is what has been fully available in past via balbes150 builds, reboot into Android from LibreELEC and reboot into LibreELEC from Android without any need to regularily play around removing and re-inserting SD. (Well at least for kvim devices)

• The ability to boot into eMMC from LibreELEC is important to those of us that have the device mounted in an awkward place that does not allow for easy ejection of the SD card.