Posts by turgus

These are completely different systems, with different principles of working with media content, they do not need to be compared.

Sure I didn't want to compare both systems, I just wanted to say, that it was not a faulty file(as it works on other builds of LE and armbian without issues). Accidently I overwrote this specific version. On newer builds the problem dissappeared and file plays as it should. Maybe I was the error, it was a strange moon phase or elsewhat...everything fine with local files now for me.

Thank you for all your good and hard work!

..well on these build the base system works nicely, but as it is a 9.80 Version Kodi lacks of addons which makes recent builds just usable for playing local files via USB or NAS/Network. Also few addons like youtube, weather and a player for podcasts are available, but most other struggle with python3 support missing (somewhere in dependencies).

If you kept an older build there is much more functionality. My favourites for example are two builds for 905 one from may, one from november which work on my p281-board-boxes with all things I want/need. Both cards are often in use to watch tv, listen to music/radio and such things. On all my aml tv boxes is either armbian or an *reelec installed on internal, but most of them work headless with armbian doing small monitoring jobs or other helpful things.

When you use armbian on internal it is nice & easy to check from time to time the progress in builds writing and booting a card quickly.
    Not sure if it makes sense for you to test some of this fresh builds. Maybe do it if you are bored and have much time due corona-restrictions in your area, or if you like to kill some time for other resons.
    Once you booted LE from card you should do the recommended backup, that you could go back to android or whatever you got installed easily. If you got CE on internal do maybe a backup to get your setup back quickly before starting to play around at all. If it's on card, you could try to boot written and configured(adjust uEnv.txt to your needs) LE card via toothpick, but most times you will need the fresh android install as starting point into using these LE builds or armbian on s9xxx hardware.

Despite that there are no useful video/music addons available at the moment for these builds, the LibreELEC-ARM-ALL.arm-9.80-devel-20200409150326-569f834-amlgx.img.gz works on the (only headed) x96mini 2/16 box here with eth and usb-sound as expected basically. When I play the Test-Video from Armbian install on eMMC the player doesn't stop at the end of the video and ui is frozen after few button press(on keyboard). After power cycle le boots up again. Will test with other files and formats later too, but mp4(as the testvideo) played always perfect in history and behaviour with that file on armbian is normal..

..to use these images properly,

you need to change the name of used dtb file(fitting to your hardware) in FDT line in uEnv.txt (no copy & rename).

After inserting sd card you need to start your box with pressed reset-pin(mostly inside of av port, pressed with small plastic stick or toothpick..). Then LE should resize partition and reboot to le (and start basic setup).

If system doesn't boot try other dtbs delivered with the image..I don't know your board, but with a s905x p212 should be a good try..also use a mouse and or keyboard until you setup your remote..

Maybe we could find back to normal testing stuff when advising:

When switching between different *eelecs it COULD work when doing "reboot update" or booting with toothpick-method. If you run into (strange) problems after that, you should try re-installing original firmware and changing u-boot stuff starting from stock one.

So people who like could check in few minutes if they can go the "quick and easy way", or if they have to do the longer procedure starting with fresh stock firmware..

Besides the problems with some addons still not py3-ready the

LibreELEC-AML.arm-9.80-devel-20191205090358-6e9040d-amlgx.img.gz Build works nice on my x96mini 2/16 with eth.
    Since may this is the first release where even plugins with widevine like joyn or zappn work again...libreelec with kodi 19alpha seem to move forward into an usable direction somehow-nice! :)

I found out that LibreELEC-H3.arm-9.80-nightly-20191029-708dbf9-libretech-h3.img.gz works on the sunvell r69 v1.3 too, There I get even sound via av plug(or HDMI). Sure just usb-wifi works(ethernet not tested yet) as internal crappy chip isn't supported.
    So I'll go with those builds instead(works like the beelink + av audio..) and maybe try to activate remote somehow.

As the older nightlies are gone, I somehow re-compiled the c9510d4 version for libretech-h3 which was the one with kodi 18.4(pre-python3) I have for beelink x2 working with all addons I use:

Code
    git checkout c9510d4

PROJECT=Allwinner ARCH=arm DEVICE=H3 UBOOT_SYSTEM=libretech-h3 make image

After copying the userdata from beelink build(was too lazy to install again) it works now for 2+ hours pretty nice and stable. So I got this old box working (nearly) perfect after dusting two years in shelf..really nice!
    Sure I will test newer images when there is a release...

Thanks for the quick reply!

Okay, I'm not sure if I could solder a serial adapter(weather should be cold&rainy on weekend so maybe I'll give it a try..)..but when I read your info, I think I should just be happy that this nightly works that good on the odd box as main functions are really okay.

Well, that reboot doesn't work properly could be an issue of the/my r69..on crappy original android there was no reboot option which forced powercycle to reboot too and on several armbians especially compiled for r69 it often didn't work either from card. At least just the armbian now on emmc reboots perfect..and for kodi on libreelec works a restart via ssh(not a reboot) to satisfy addons' wish to reboot to re-read configs after changing settings.

It would be nice to integrate the remote of the beelink(guess many users would appreciate that..). Maybe this is even helpful for me(could compare the codes with the file which works for that remote on other box). I thought remote isn't working , like the power led too because gpios aren't assigned properly in beelink dtb, similar to amlogics s905x/w where often basic functions are given with wrong dtb, but correct one brings more/all features. Is there a guide how to edit extlinux.conf?
    I will test av audio and ethernet later. For me it is no problem that XR819 isn't supported, because a cheap(under 2€ shipped) 150MBit USB-Wifi does the job often better on all those cheap china boxes.

I'm really happy that after nearly two years this box is now a somehow quite usable mediaplayer!

Hi, after installing armbian on an old sunvell r69 H2+ 1/8GB (V1.3 red pcb) i tried one nightly on micro-sd-card made for Beelink x2: LibreELEC-H3.arm-9.80-nightly-20191019-c9510d4-beelink-x2.img.gz

It works pretty well on that box(for armbian I added a fan to keep it cooler) with unchanged dtb:

what works out of the box:

-HDMI 1080p (even the glitches often found on android & armbian using higher res than 720p didn't appear in 2 hours test!!!)

-HDMI Sound

-both USB ports working(used one for dongle from keyboard-mouse-combo and other for usb-wifi)

-power LED is red (not perfect, but this way I see which os is booted: blue heartbeat=armbian, red=libreelec)

-addons using widevine work flawless (did just a short test with joyn for maybe 1hour)

-card reader (boots from that device.. ;) )

-internal Memory (formatted ext4 for armbian)

-ethernet working

untested/not working:

Ethernet = untested

internal wifi = not working

av-port = untested not working

remote = not working (used remote conf working with that remote on s905w-box *eelecs)

optical = untested

software reboot = not working (device needs switching power supply to reboot)

power off via gui = not working (get "system halted" message, but device stays powered somehow)

I guess some problems are caused by using beelink-dtb (that one from kernel 4.14.xx Armbian doesn't work).

Is there a way to convert the dtb from armbian build to work with libreelec too, or is there a way to edit the dtb/dts from the beelink-box to enhance support of sunvell r69 v 1.3 hardware?