Alot of movies constantly buffering using LibreElec anything I can do?

• Using the version of Adamg.
    I watched 2 videos perfectly fine about 50 GB in size they were, approx 2 hour length.

Now other movies which are about the same size 56 gb and 1:20 or 1:30 hour are constantly buffering then perhaps a minute fluid or just literally all the time.
    Is there something I can do, change within the settings to avert this issue? Im pretty mad to be honest I found out.
    I made many topics across different forums(not here though) and I specifically asked if such device can playback 4k UHD with no issue. People recommended the Nvidia Shield or the minix for example...

Im using an External USB 3.0 HDD with USB 3.0 cable. I haven't tried network share stream but I suppose that won't matter as I will still have the file on that same external harddrive.

Now I have this problem.. Do I really have to throw away this Minix? Because it is useless at the moment for me :cursing:

• You are using very new Alpha Software with a new Linux Kernel.

So you have to be prepared for issues and bugs because it is not what you would call stable software.

Try using a LE 8.2.x version if you do not want to be a Guinea pig and experiment.

I would say the same to anyone using any sort of Alpha software on any hardware platform.

• You are using very new Alpha Software with a new Linux Kernel.

So you have to be prepared for issues and bugs because it is not what you would call stable software.

Try using a LE 8.2.x version if you do not want to be a Guinea pig and experiment.

I would say the same to anyone using any sort of Alpha software on any hardware platform.

Then you'd attribute my problem soley to the build i am using? or is this a default reaction to any problem you face with this build?

• Yes.

Alpha software on any hardware platform = buggy with any number of hidden problems and issues.

You are using what could be called be labelled experimental software, it simplys need more time to mature and iron out the bugs.

Simply stop using bleeding edge software releases and go back to using something that is comparatively stable that being LE 8.2.x Kodi Krypton.

• Yes.

Alpha software on any hardware platform = buggy with any number of hidden problems and issues.

You are using what could be called be labelled experimental software, it simplys need more time to mature and iron out the bugs.

Simply stop using bleeding edge software releases and go back to using something that is comparatively stable that being LE 8.2.x Kodi Krypton.

Yes to which question?
    Anyway I went back to stable 8.2.2.3 something
    And the problem still persists, just as I thought it is NOT just a bleeding edge problem.

I tried the Jelly fish 50 to 120 MBPS. and all have problems.

-50 Mbps Jelly Fish takes around 41 seconds - No buffering slight visual slowdown
    -60/70 MBPS some small buffering towards the end of the video

70 MBPS and up only gets worse from there on
    At around 120 MBPS the 30 sec video is taking over a minute.

As for movie examples:

-------Works Fine

The Bourne Identity

Overall bit rate : 60.8 Mb/s

Bit rate : 51.9 Mb/s Video

Kingsman The Secret Service

Overall bit rate : 53.4 Mb/s

Bit rate : 45.2 Mb/s Video

-------Buffering isses

The Bourne Supremacy

Overall bit rate : 74.0 Mb/s

Bit rate : 66.0 Mb/s Video

Ex Machina

Overall bit rate : 74.0 Mb/s

Bit rate : 66.9 Mb/s Video

• Instead of having to ask for each detail in a separate post/question, how about providing the full debug-enabled Kodi log file?

Unfortunately, a crystal ball is not yet part of our standard bag of tools.

Well I assume im not the first user to come across this issue? Playing videos within a certain bitrate is not a special function?
    Or are you saying that I am one of the few to experience this issue and most have no issue with high bitrate files.

hastebin

• file runs for me on 8.2 and 8.9 via nfs

Here are my findings. I tried the jellyfish-120-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv.

On one harddrive where I had the movies with buffering issues.
    And on a seperate drive.

Tried this via SMB. The harddrive with the buffering issues again had visual slowdown, the video took 1:07 to complete as to the 30 seconds.
    Though this time no buffering icon/loading.

Tried the one the other drive also via smb. Instant fluid loading video took 30 seconds to complete.
    Tried the 1st drive with the buffering issues once again. This time the video was perfect wtf??? I don't get it!
    So either it flukes out or.. idk.. I thought I found the problem and it was the HD fault, but then it plays it back perfectly...
    Maybe the 2nd drive will also slowdown and i just got lucky.. to many unanswered questions..

Just to note:
    Buffering issue harddrive is 3.63 TB with 3.70 GB free(shouldnt matter right?) Seagate

2nd Harddrive is 4.54 TB with 102 GB free WD desktop elements

If I copy the 120 MBPS file of jelly fish from both HD's to my SSD.
    Buffering HD will get 4-8 MB per sec mostly around 4 MB per sec
    2nd HD is INSTANT? lol.. i don't understand how that is possible but it appears instantly on my desktop if I copy it from the 2nd HD.

Edited once, last by chrisssj2 (April 9, 2018 at 1:33 PM).

• Sounds more like a problem with your particular box than with LE.

Which minix model? Have you checked how the same content works from Android?

Android kodi gives me the same result.
    Minix uh-9 neo

Some smart info: WD Elements ( the one which didnt have any buffering issues with 120 MBPS jellyfish or a movie with 75 MBPS.

Screenshot by Lightshot

Screenshot by Lightshot

Buffering HD smart info:

Screenshot by Lightshot

Screenshot by Lightshot

Im going to bad sector check this drive because idk what else I can try.

• chrisssj2

I suggest you get a tool like DiskMark or similar and simply run a performance test on the HDDs. Perhaps it's not the box but the drives.

4-8MB/s is a far cry from being enough for 120mbps video. Remember there are 8 bits in a byte. So for 120mbps video, you need your drive to be able to transfer at the very least 15MB/s.

But I don't really see why the drives are so slow, USB 3.0 HDDs today should be able to copy over large files at close or even over 100MB/s.
    On the box they'll be limited by the USB 2.0 interface, but around 30MB/s should not be a problem, and is plenty fast.

• chrisssj2

I suggest you get a tool like DiskMark or similar and simply run a performance test on the HDDs. Perhaps it's not the box but the drives.

4-8MB/s is a far cry from being enough for 120mbps video. Remember there are 8 bits in a byte. So for 120mbps video, you need your drive to be able to transfer at the very least 15MB/s.

But I don't really see why the drives are so slow, USB 3.0 HDDs today should be able to copy over large files at close or even over 100MB/s.
    On the box they'll be limited by the USB 2.0 interface, but around 30MB/s should not be a problem, and is plenty fast.

Yeah it was strange to me too. The only 2 reasons I can think of either the harddrive is die-ing or just really bad, or because of the 3 GB free space it has. (but somehow i doubt that this is rly the issue.) Defragmenting takes weeks on a drive that big with a million files on it(literally a million or so) (which i also doubt has the desired effect)

Im running western digital life diagnostic with extended drive check Should be done in 6 hours. Then I can check with DiskMark.

• Simple question is this a Hard drive power draw issue ?

Be aware plugging multiple 2.5" Hard drives into ARM based devices at the same time is bound to cause trouble unless you use a powered USB Hub for reliability.

3.5" Hard drives with their own power supplies will be OK.