LibreELEC 9.0 / Kodi 18.X for Minix X8,X8H,X8H+

• Strange as that should work, I run about 6 identical boxes from the same factory i buy from and new out of the box they all have the same MAC so i use that script on each of the boxes by installing the script and then just changing the last byte of the Mac Address in the each of the boxes script and thats worked for years with no probs. To me what your describing makes me inclined to think that something further down the startup chain is setting the address... could be a plug-in of some type or some type of anonymizer or who knows but something definately adjusting it. Normally the network stack will sence the hardware's mac and use it until you some how tell it to be something else. I quess you could start by finding out what the hardware's real mac is and then once LibreELEC is up and running go look in the Info/Network panel on the LibreELEC settings addon and see what LibreELEC thinks it is. if there the same then it would appear LibreELEC is picking the network stack up ok and its something else you've got thats running and changing it.

Hard to really say without more knowing more...

As well depending on where your noticing the constantly changing address my help figure it out as well... meaning if your seeing the change happen on the box then its probably on the box but if your seeing the change further out on your network then maybe you've got something setup in your router thats spoofing the real Mac to your routers Mac for routing control or something along them lines.

• just in case i made a bad assumption of your understanding, i realized i should have mentioned that the example i used was for a wired connection based on the eth0 device name i used in the script. but if your talking about a wireless connection being your issue you would need to change the script to apply the command to the wifi device which probably will be something like wlan0.

if you can get to the boxes command line via ssh just issue the ifconfig command and it will report what libreelec sees as active interfaces and you can check to make sure of the proper device name to use in the script. theres no reason you cant put 2 lines in if you want to set (spoof) the Mac Address of both devices.

• @buzzmarshall

Thanks for the help, I am using the eth0 device not wlan0, the change is on the machine my router just see's what ever address the box has.

I dont think I've got any plugins installed that would need to change the mac address.

• just out of the oven, not tested yet

#1 updated

kodi 18 final has almost landed

Thanks datrh

Ive had this on a few days.

Getting freeze up 30 min or so into viewing with occasional freeze again shortly after.

Any thoughts?

• I can't answer for how datrh has it setup but typically you don't set the Mac Address in the device database files, tho over the years i have seen people try and push it via the dtb. Normally the dtb provides hardware settings like memory address's and control register parameters so that the on board hardware gets picked up by the kernel.

Usually things like the Mac Address gets reported by the firmware on the device once the kernel knows what and were the device is. Its strange that the autostart script is not overiding the detected Mac with the one you put in the script. Ifconfig is just a standard linux network command that can be run from a terminal at any point in time once the box has booted up and is running. Logically speaking if the scripts not setting it to what you want there must be something else messing with it after everything is up and running. Its either that of for some reason something in the firmware build is preventing the script from being picked up and run. I just checked the most recent LibreELEC and CoreELEC S912 builds i test on a bunch of Sunvell boxes and the script works fine on both systems.

Hopefully datrh will have some ideas for you

• u-boot stores the MAC in efuse and the kernel reads the values back from efuse

i understand that but even still after the system is up and running the ifconfig command will let the system spoof the stored Mac till the next reboot, thats kinda why i use the autostart script. I know i just checked one of your current builds on the generical S912 project and i can ssh into the box and issue a ifconfig command and alter both the wlan0 and eth0 Mac Address with no problems...

actually now im just more interested in why his script does not seem to work... lol

• ii just checked one of your current builds on the generical S912 project and i can ssh into the box and issue a ifconfig command and alter both the wlan0 and eth0 Mac Address with no problems...

what i can say is s802/812 uses libreelec linux 3.10 and s905/above uses libreelec linux 3.14.

maybe the different behaviour...

i will dive into this when kodi reaches final release and when i get times to do this.

regards

(right now , i don't have any hints about this)

Edited once, last by datrh (January 22, 2019 at 8:36 PM).

• datrh

Apparently the lollipop os version was not the issue of libreelec not working versions from this thread....

So, I flashed my MINIX 8H PLUS with the stock Android 4.4 last firmware 011 and the sd/usb card is the same....none of the Libreleec versions from first of this thead working at all. Even changing the dtb's, no results. The only difference is...this time i receive the following message

Pasteboard - Uploaded Image

• datrh

Apparently the lollipop os version was not the issue of libreelec not working versions from this thread....

So, I flashed my MINIX 8H PLUS with the stock Android 4.4 last firmware 011 and the sd/usb card is the same....none of the Libreleec versions from first of this thead working at all. Even changing the dtb's, no results. The only difference is...this time i receive the following message

Pasteboard - Uploaded Image

For S82/S82B/S82H/MXIII(1G&2G DDR) and S89/S89H this image will allow you to boot from sdcard:

RemiX_115k4.zip

did you play with the thing above?

if there's something with the dtb (wrong gpio for the SD or USB) you will get likely :

"Filesystem corruption has been detected!"

"To prevent an automatic repair attempt continuing,"

"press any key or power off your system within the next 120 seconds"

but back to business :

you don't have to change the dtb.

i would try again to boot from the RC5.2 and the bootloader has to be patched

• The HDMI crashes and I have to completely power cycle the minix in order for the display to come back. Otherwise, it stays on the same frozen screen, even when rebooting via ssh.

This happens when I stop a video, pause, fast forward, or rewind. Also, I set the audio to snapserver pulseaudio. It all works fine as long as I don't do the above. Any ideas?