LibreELEC 9.0 / Kodi 18.X for Minix X8,X8H,X8H+

• LE.This are the latest versions of LibreElec KOdi 17.6 for Minix 8h Plus?

X8,X8-H and some X8-HP users : LibreELEC-X8-H_Series.arm-8.2RC-kodi_17.6-final.img

some X8-HP users : LibreELEC-X8-H_PlusGen1.arm-8.2RC-kodi_17.6-final.img

There is the difference between them?

In the past , i had to maintain 2 versions for the x8-hp (i guess related to android bootloader/firmware version.)

This is why i suggest now to run the device with the latest firmware (latest bootloader).

My 17.6 images are based on Balbes150 works and i've kept his bootloader patch technic in my kodi 18 images.

If you find some time....please for newbies like me...can you add the details in your first topic post:

-how to formated the sd card with the Libreelec usb-sd creator (the steps)-i find this :

Installing LE 8 from @demitris onto Minix Neo x8h plus

the LibreELEC usb creator will take care of it.

I browsed in the sd card formatted with LibreELEC-X8-H_Series (from the first post) and I didn't find any file named "boot_autoscript"

Find attached the image of the sd content.

Thank you

you're right, the file is missing.

• If you have a spare SD card , burn a RC3 or RC4 image and copy the file from the SD with kodi18 to the SD with kodi 17.6
    • or download the file from here boot_autoscript and put it on the SD with kodi17.6 (don't forget to rename it.)

(I don't understand why there is present s805script, if the Minix 8h plus it is s812)

it's just a file name, it's was developed by Balbes150 when the s805 were mainstream

5. i've post the old 17.6 images a few weeks after having started the kodi 18 topic so everyone who has tested the kodi 18 images where running a minix with a patched bootloader.

in the past, the boot.scr was a extra file to copy on the SD.i've change this with kodi 18 images.

6.if the android bootloader has not been patched, you will not being able to boot from SD. the "toothpick" trick is a one time process.

minix-neo-x8-h-plus-rear-ports.jpg (the reset"recover" hole)

if successful , LibreELEC will self-install on the SD card and you will have a minix able to boot from SD/LibreELEC (if inserted) or from internal storage/android

edit : ...and my images (s802/s812) support the standard minix IR or any wireless Minix remote

minix-m1-4.jpg

• datrh

Thank you for your time to response and help to me.

I want to understand right, now you say that the LEIA18 Kodi LibeElec is stable:

In the past , i had to maintain 2 versions for the x8-hp (i guess related to android bootloader/firmware version.)

This is why i suggest now to run the device with the latest firmware (latest bootloader). (LEIA 18???)

My 17.6 images are based on Balbes150 works and i've kept his bootloader patch technic in my kodi 18 images.

no long time ago you said that the 17.6 version is the most stable one:

just burn on a SD, plug in and boot. (do not "toothpick" the device)

rem:

• your actual 17.6 img is certainly the most stable.
    • as we don't use the same aml_autoscript it may not boot at all

http://www.mediafire.com/file/atw1szg9e6bxwzd/libreelec-mxiii_plus.arm-9.0-devel-20181019072126-6d5c66f.img.gz/file

Before starting my first LibreElec Install ON SD (no internall) for MInix 8h-PLUS i'm trying to recap the steps:

1. downloaded the one/both versions of the 17.6 kodi Librelec for 8h-plus from the very first post of this topic.

kodi 17.6

X8,X8-H and some X8-HP users : http://www.mediafire.com/file/dtr2kr1r5ycbtth/libreelec-x8-h_series.arm-8.2rc-kodi_17.6-final.img.gz/file

some X8-HP users : http://www.mediafire.com/file/ndb7ss9o7saq1ap/libreelec-x8-h_plusgen1.arm-8.2rc-kodi_17.6-final.img.gz/file

2. download the file from here boot_autoscript . (for kodi 18 LibreElec versions RC3 or RC4 the file it is already included in the gz file!!)

3. Downloaded the libreelec tool libreelec.usb-sd.creator.win32.exe.

4. Insert the sd card in the laptop.

5. Open the Libreelec tool, load the path of the gz file, "write" it on sd card

5. Add the "boot_autoscript file on the SD CARD (already writed with Libreelec Kodi 17.6 on it!!)

6. Rename the "boot_autoscript" to "boot.scr"

7. unplugged my minix 8h-Plus device and insert the SD card into the Minix Box

8. Insert a toothpick into Minix reset location

9. Plug in the power cable in MINIX and Push the Minix Start Button while holding reset switch for 5 -6 sec (the bootloader will be patched)

10. let Libreelec boots and configure ssh, etc

Please confirm that the process steps are complete and the right ones!! (we have to push the box Start Button while holding reset switch with the tootpick?)or (just holding reset switch with the tootpick and plug in the Power cable?)

Maybe all my concerns will help other users too.

Thank you again for your effort and support.

• Please confirm that the process steps are complete and the right ones!! (we have to push the box Start Button while holding reset switch with the tootpick?)or (just holding reset switch with the tootpick and plug in the Power cable?)

this is the way to go.

to patch the android boot loader ( to be able to boot from SD) you have to : "we have to push the box Start Button while holding reset switch with the tootpick" a few seconds

• Thank you again for your support and huge effort.

Already said me , but....i want to make sure.....

Any mistake (from my part) or not loading the LibreElec Kodi gz, will not affect my Android os from Minix?

• i already try it to install on Sd card both 17.6 versions....

I added the boot_autoscript file, rename it....and unplugged the minix

insert the sd card

Plug in the power cable

insert tootpick holding reset switch 5-6 seconds while Push the Minix Start Button

Android logo Minix is starting....

I don't know what i'm doing wrong or images don't have the right content....

Edited 2 times, last by Macko (January 4, 2019 at 8:02 PM).

• try the same process with the latest image : kodi18 RC4.

no need to download the boot_autoscript as it's already in the image. just rename it.

so insert the toothpick , using the toothpick hold the reset button depressed. press the power button like usual. count 5-6sec and release the toothpick.

I want to understand right, now you say that the LEIA18 Kodi LibeElec is stable:

no long time ago you said that the 17.6 version is the most stable one:

out of context : it was related to a MXIII Plus image......btw i'm still waiting feedback about this.

• Not a chance.,......I already try it the kodi18 RC4

I managed to update this box with the Lollipop Official rom from Minix, with same kind of method...and it worked from the first time!!!

1. I changed the SD card (2 times), I press Toothpick even before plug in......MInix android logo is blinking......nothing happens.

2. Something strange also happened....after being tired to keep press the reset with the toothpick, I released and press it during the MInix Android logo....and a message come in: something that the Files missing corrupt.....close power 120s (not exactly)

3. I try it to download again the both files 17.6 again....and windows defender wont let me this time.....corrupt file!!

After the 2 and 3 situations appeared I begin to believe not the method is the issue ......cause the both gz files with 17.6 Kodi not working, the images are incomplete or something.....

Edited 2 times, last by Macko (January 4, 2019 at 9:55 PM).

• I managed to update this box with the Lollipop Official rom from Minix, with same kind of method...and it worked from the first time!!!

well i think that my images are not "compatible" with a device running Android Lolllipop.

my 802/812 images run a linux 3.10 like android kit kat. so the dtb (a file describing the hardware) files i use, are linux 3.10 compatible and not linux 3.16 compatible (like used with Android Lollipop).

i guess the bootloader used by lollipop isn't the same as the kitkat one : this is why the bootscript/the dtb used in my images doesn't work.

Android version history - Wikipedia

the lollipop minix rom was a beta version when i started the thread and not the latest official one

• i was actif on the old forum .

it has always being a beta firmware.

even if they have change the name on the new forum it's still a crappy beta firmware.

Amlogic haven't release a fully compliant lollipop sdk for the s812 as mentioned here

Mbox - Amlogic openlinux

and no need to capslock, i'm not blind.

anyway : #1 updated with recommended firmware version

to try to help you :

i've extract the dtb.img from the lollipop android firmware.

dtb

download it and replace the existing one on the SD. if we are lucky it may works.

• First. The caps lock where exactly how the liberelec forum format permitted when i did paste the title of the topic that contained the lollipop (beta/not beta-it is the only stable update lollipop for this box) release data of Minix 8h plus. I don't have time to change fonts and others. It was no intentional.

Second. I will try later in the day the trying by replacing the dtb. Hope this time it will work, otherwise I'm fine with the lollippop minix version (updating lollipop by sd card took me 20 minutes).

I appreciate your work, but for me this Librelec kodi has too many issues (missing files from 17.6 versions and others) and already spend too much time with it.

Thank you again for your support and help.

• to try to help you :

i've extract the dtb.img from the lollipop android firmware.

dtb

download it and replace the existing one on the SD. if we are lucky it may works.

Thank you again for the effort and your support. Doesn't worked either. Almost 3 days of toothpick and "add this to the sd card or copy this file instead of that" ends here (last night after 14-15 Libreelec combination, almost damaged my android os.....was needed the optimized all the apps). I'll try other versions in the future. Good luck with your work.

• really sorry.

you're probably the first one or at least the first one who have given feedback about my images and a x8-hp running the minix lollipop rom.

thanks to you we know that android rom has to be a "kitkat" version

• Hi,

I updated my X8HP to RC4 - Thank you for the great work !!!!

There is one thing I noticed with regard to the dongle for the A2 remote - I installed RC4 onto a USB Stick and not an SD card. Booting ONLY works if the remote dongle is NOT plugged into one of the USB ports. If dongle is present the device will boot into Minix Android.

One Q that I still have concerns the Whitelist - what exactly is needed here ? Is this a file that needs to be greated or a setting ticked ?

jak