Spotify Connect Web

• Hello Loggio,

As for sound, the addon and Kodi are independent.
    You can use HDMI for Kodi, and the headphone jack (or another sound card) for the addon. It is what I do.

The onboard sound interface routes playback to either the jack or HDMI, but not to both.

Auto detection can be summarized like this: if, when the RPi boots, the display claims to have speakers, sound is output via HDMI by default; if not, it is output via the headphone jack. Auto detection is not always acurrate.

Hi awiouy,

why is it not possible for the addon to send sound to HDMI and headphone, like kodi can do it? Is it to difficult to code?
    For my case it is enough to get the sound over headphone, so i am only interested in the reason.

Edited once, last by Cruiser (August 24, 2016 at 7:21 AM).

• Hi awiouy,

why is it not possible for the addon to send sound to HDMI and headphone, like kodi can do it? Is it to difficult to code?
    For my case it is enough to get the sound over headphone, so i am only interested in the reason.

Hello Cruiser!

I am glad to see you on this thread ;)

On Raspberry Pi, Kodi and spotify-connect-web use distinct sound architectures (pulse audio for Kodi, alsa for spotify-connect-web).
    I am not aware that alsa is able to playback via hdmi and jack (this documentation suggests that hdmi and jack are exclusive).
    If you find out a way, please let me know, and I will gladly implement it

Cheers

• Hello Cruiser!

I am glad to see you on this thread

On Raspberry Pi, Kodi and spotify-connect-web use distinct sound architectures (pulse audio for Kodi, alsa for spotify-connect-web).
    I am not aware that alsa is able to playback via hdmi and jack (this documentation suggests that hdmi and jack are exclusive).
    If you find out a way, please let me know, and I will gladly implement it

Cheers

Hi awiouy,

sure, the world is small
    With the documentation, i understand. And i can't read it different, there is no solution for that.
    So, i am glad, that one output is enough for me

• Hello.

My Spotify-App on the mobile dont see the rpi3-libreelec-device.

I have started the service:

LibreELEC:~ # systemctl stop service.spotify-connect-web
    LibreELEC:~ # spotify-connect-web.start
    Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
    Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
    Playback channels: Mono
    Limits: Playback -10239 - 400
    Mono: Playback -1727 [80%] [-17.27dB] [on]
    numid=3,iface=MIXER,name='PCM Playback Route'
    ; type=INTEGER,access=rw------,values=1,min=0,max=2,step=0
    : values=0
    Loading Spotify library...
    min_volume_range: 0.0
    Using libspotify_embedded version: release-esdk-1.20.0-v1.20.0-g594175d4
    SpInit: 0
    playback_volume: 52428
    corected_playback_volume: 80
    public key: J9rHsR319RMYSFMSe9jEZ9EaI52GfIMXTljzOt2JwFE0tReX/XvxRtBbmd+V4ju1Tx7OR80szSiRdgoqygOQX2f3ezi3TobCgBKiymiFMjr6teSBwLi24QIvGX3T+T1V
    device id: 780e8567-9c1e-435e-a02d-5933e5588fce
    remote name: LibreELEC
    account req: PREMIUM
    device type: AUDIODONGLE

The Spotify-Connect-Version is 7.0.101

Do i make some things wrong ?

Sorry for the circumstances
    Christian

• The service also has a web server, on port 4000 of your LibreELEC device. You can get useful info from there (eg are userid/password correct)

• @awjouy

Thanks for your work. I was looking for something like this for a while.

I tried your addon on RPi3 and playback works fine but sadly the sound was very damped and did not sound very nice at all. I used the highest bitrate.

• @awjouy

Thanks for your work. I was looking for something like this for a while.

I tried your addon on RPi3 and playback works fine but sadly the sound was very damped and did not sound very nice at all. I used the highest bitrate.

Hello Gerrit!

Thank you for the feedback.

What sound interface are you using? Onboard via jack?

Onboard audio sounds clunky, indeed, and you may have a better experience with an external sound card.

It would be nice to have reports about sound quality with external sound cards.

• Hey Awiouy,

Great plugin man! Exactly what I had in mind when I started the thread in "feature requests" and it saves me an extra RPI for audio.
    Would it also be possible to view the details of the currently played song in Kodi besides the webserver?

• Hey Awiouy,

Great plugin man! Exactly what I had in mind when I started the thread in "feature requests" and it saves me an extra RPI for audio.
    Would it also be possible to view the details of the currently played song in Kodi besides the webserver?

Hello!

I would not have been aware of spotify-connect-web without your feature request.
    Thank you for pointing it out.

As for displaying details of the currently played song in Kodi, it is certainly possible.
    My skills in Kodi/Python are however quite limited, and I will therefore leave it to someone else.

Moreover:
    - you can already get these details from your Spotify app and from the web user interface
    - spotify-connect-web can play music (via a sound system) when the display (the tv) is turned off
    - spotify-connect-web is still alpha, and therefore is likely to change/die

It is therefore doubtful that this feature is worth the effort

• Hello!

I would not have been aware of spotify-connect-web without your feature request.
    Thank you for pointing it out.

As for displaying details of the currently played song in Kodi, it is certainly possible.
    My skills in Kodi/Python are however quite limited, and I will therefore leave it to someone else.

Moreover:
    - you can already get these details from your Spotify app and from the web user interface
    - spotify-connect-web can play music (via a sound system) when the display (the tv) is turned off
    - spotify-connect-web is still alpha, and therefore is likely to change/die

It is therefore doubtful that this feature is worth the effort

Well i could think of one thing. When i have a party at my Home it would be nice to show the playlist/current song on the TV screen, so if others add music to the playlist they and all other non-djees can follow it on the screen...;-)

One other techical thing.
    I have compared the alsa sound quality with the volumio/spotify connect sound....it looks like the volumio version has better soundquality. More brighter in the frequenties or better dynamic range...don't know how to explain this exactly. Both are set to 320.

• Well i could think of one thing. When i have a party at my Home it would be nice to show the playlist/current song on the TV screen, so if others add music to the playlist they and all other non-djees can follow it on the screen...;-)

One other techical thing.
    I have compared the alsa sound quality with the volumio/spotify connect sound....it looks like the volumio version has better soundquality. More brighter in the frequenties or better dynamic range...don't know how to explain this exactly. Both are set to 320.

Thank you for this interesting lead.
    Do you know where I can find the source of volumio, especially how it calls spotify-connect-web?

• Thank you for this interesting lead.
    Do you know where I can find the source of volumio, especially how it calls spotify-connect-web?

I think it is the same Fornoth spotify-connect-web as you use but then on a volumio 1.55 build, but didn't try it yet on the new volumio 2 build. Here is a volumio forum link where i got the info Spotify Connect : Development talks - Volumio

But for the installation i just followed the Fornoth github page and used the pre-built chroot installation

Edited once, last by gschmidt (August 29, 2016 at 6:29 AM).

• I think it is the same Fornoth spotify-connect-web as you use but then on a volumio 1.55 build, but didn't try it yet on the new volumio 2 build. Here is a volumio forum link where i got the info Spotify Connect : Development talks - Volumio

But for the installation i just followed the Fornoth github page and used the pre-built chroot installation

Hello!

Thank you for your reply.

The addon is based on the spotify-connect-web packaged release (~15 MB), not the pre-built chroot (~ 180 MB).

I have tried to install the pre-built chroot to find out if it makes a difference with respect to sound quality.
    The pre-built chroot however failed to install (installation complains about invalid tar magic).

If you or anyone here:
    1. manages to install and run the pre-built chroot on LibreELEC, and
    2. confirms that sound quality of RPi onboard audio is better with pre-built chroot than with the current addon
    I will gladly consider updating the addon.

In the meantime, I can only confirm that sound quality is better with an external sound card than with RPi onboard audio via headphone jack.

Cheers