S905x support, what is needed?

• m9cpro.zipI came across a M9C Pro S905X device which does not work with any of your test builds. I'm sending both a dtb I extracted from the boot.img using split_image.pl and a dts I created from the /proc/device-tree. I'm not sure which is better or if it matters.

• plikmuny This thread is about S905X devices and yours is S905. Your situation is explained in first post of 7.0.2.006 thread: you need an empty FAT32 formatted SD card with recovery.img and dtb.img from stock Android firmware. Then use toothpick to boot into recovery.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake, can i use Pulsar's Build for 905x on my Box ?
    just curious...

• I came across a M9C Pro S905X device which does not work with any of your test builds. I'm sending both a dtb I extracted from the boot.img using split_image.pl and a dts I created from the /proc/device-tree. I'm not sure which is better or if it matters.

Scratch that. I just tried your release download and to be sure it works just fine with my dtb.img. Something must have went wrong applying the diff to your tree.

• I'm having trouble with 4k video playback. My setup: m8s2 with pulsar build on eMMC -> onkyo receiver -> samsung 1080p TV. For every fps in the source material (23.976, 30 and 60Hz) it switches to 1080p60. 1080p material plays without any problems and switches refreshrate without any issues.

I'm seeing some suspicious stuff in dmesg:

Code
    [ 209.584836@2] codec:H264_4K2K: decinfo: 3840x2160 rate=3200
    [ 209.585240@2] codec:get_decoder_firmware_data vh264_4k2k_mc_single for format 10 failed!
    [ 209.585269@2] codec:
    [ 209.585269@2] amvdec_h264_4k2k init failed.

Full dmesg kodi.log

I double checked, and I have the update dtb with a larger fb memory:

Code
    m8s:~ # od -h /proc/device-tree/reserved-memory/linux,meson-fb/size -h0000000 0000 0000 4804 00000000010

Anything I can try to debug this further? I tried big buck bunny 2160p30, 2160p60 and 23.976 internet content, all h264.

• wkchick Please post a link to a short sample that exhibits the issue so that I can test myself.

kszaq,
    I tried but could not find proper video editing tools to cut a few hundred MB from my file. Anyway I download test video from Jellyfish Bitrate Test Files and test. I picked jellyfish-120-mbps-4k-uhd-h264. It works on M18 with alex's OpenELEC or lwiddif's LibreELEC build but not on Mini M8S II.

Thanks so much for your work.

• First of all thanks to Kaszq and Pulsar for their excellent work.

I have a Netbox A95X 2G+16G S905x and have been testing Kaszq test builds (up to test 5) and Pulsar's LibreELEC-S905X.aarch64-7.0.2.006.2 build.

I have had similar problems to others with an the tty access error on last three Kaszq builds; runs first time and everything is good CEC, Wi-Fi etc but reboot or return from suspend brings up tty error.

Pulsar build does not show same issue and only thing I have found so far is a failure to recover from suspend. Remote power on blue led for 3-4 sec then back to red.

I have a Micro II Audio Advantage USB spdif/optical output - works fine, DTS and Dolby Digital pass through to HDMI-less AV amp.

• I have a " Mini M8S II " with the last rom Android 6.0.1. Each time boot fail. Boot partition was never mouted.
    I write the latest img to microSD. I delete dtb.img at root.

All time, i have message "Could not mount label=boot"

thx

Edited once, last by mips (August 27, 2016 at 11:23 PM).

• kszaq,
    I tried but could not find proper video editing tools to cut a few hundred MB from my file. Anyway I download test video from Jellyfish Bitrate Test Files and test. I picked jellyfish-120-mbps-4k-uhd-h264. It works on M18 with alex's OpenELEC or lwiddif's LibreELEC build but not on Mini M8S II.

Thanks so much for your work.

Jellyfish 120Mbps 4K plays fine here in both H.264 and HEVC - but I have a S905 device. I'm afraid S905X as a costdown version might not be able to decode that high bitrates.
    [hr]

I have a " Mini M8S II " with the last rom Android 6.0.1. Each time boot fail. Boot partition was never mouted.
    I write the latest img to microSD. I delete dtb.img at root.

If you want a build that so far works works for everyone, please use this image: LibreELEC

Images from my posts are for testing purposes only, I don't have a S905X device and ask users to test builds from time to time. ;)

Edited once, last by kszaq (August 27, 2016 at 11:28 PM).

• Jellyfish 120Mbps 4K plays fine here in both H.264 and HEVC - but I have a S905 device. I'm afraid S905X as a costdown version might not be able to decode that high bitrates.

I came to the same test result. Not only the Jellyfish, but also my 4K H264 video plays smoothly on M18 (S905) with build LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0.2.006.img.gz. I also noticed minor audio out of sync (audio ahead of video) on Mini M8S II but not on M18 while playing 1080p and 4K x265 contents. Seems like we have to wait for next S905X driver update.

Thanks.

• It work nicely in Full HD.

I found a little bug. With IR remote, the Numpad are rot enabled.

Your work is great.
    Thanks the team.

The IR Remote numpad is working on my Mini M8S II running kszaq's latest test build.

Also, I'd like to thank kszaq and pulsar for your great work on this chipset. You saved the amount of money I paid for this box. I was losing my mind over not being able to watch anything on Kodi with HD audio passthrough enabled. Sound skipped every 5 seconds. Decided to give kszaq's build a shot and it's working perfectly. I'm able to watch FHD video with 5.1 passthrough enabled without a single issue so thank you so much for this!

Also, I'm new to the whole Android Box thing so I'm sorry of this is obvious but will these builds become stable one day? I'm asking because I'd be willing to flash it in the NAND of my box but I'd prefer to wait for stables just for the sake of using the automatic update tool in the future.

• Still getting random lock-ups which I could use some help to tshoot. Because the device completely freezes, it is difficult to grab dmesg and I'm not sure which logs would be most relivant. I disabled CEC which seemed to help some. I do suspect this is codec related. It tends to be triggered always shortly after switching from media playback then navigating the gui. Often there is a slight pause just on stopping a stream. But the lock-ups seem to occur 30 seconds or more after. After I've already navigated through a few screens.
    [hr]

Still getting random lock-ups which I could use some help to tshoot. Because the device completely freezes, it is difficult to grab dmesg and I'm not sure which logs would be most relivant. I disabled CEC which seemed to help some. I do suspect this is codec related. It tends to be triggered always shortly after switching from media playback then navigating the gui. Often there is a slight pause just on stopping a stream. But the lock-ups seem to occur 30 seconds or more after. After I've already navigated through a few screens.

Other than some log spam that's typical with the plugins I'm using, this is the only thing of note that appears often before the freeze:
    02:51:32 T:545762394336 ERROR: DoWork - Direct texture file loading failed for resource://resource.images.studios.white/.png
    02:53:26 T:548078088416 ERROR: CAESinkALSA - snd_pcm_writei(-32) Broken pipe - trying to recover

Edited once, last by jasmas (August 29, 2016 at 8:28 AM).

• Hi i have m8s ii, i read all 3d i don't understand which is at the momement best LE Image for this device. I know that 3build of kszaq worked but i don't find it Now. Also pulsar i know that work but i don't know if installation procedure for boot from sd is the same. Who has this device can Tell me which at the moment the best ? Thanks

Inviato dal mio GT-N7100 utilizzando Tapatalk

• I am using the same Box with the same Pulsar Build but somehow my box's remote control does not work. Its absolutely dead. Would be great if you could tell me how you got it to work on your box. At the moment using CEC which works great.

• Hi i have m8s ii, i read all 3d i don't understand which is at the momement best LE Image for this device. I know that 3build of kszaq worked but i don't find it Now. Also pulsar i know that work but i don't know if installation procedure for boot from sd is the same. Who has this device can Tell me which at the moment the best ? Thanks

Inviato dal mio GT-N7100 utilizzando Tapatalk

Do you mean the Mini M8S II? If so, post #116. I'm using that build and it's working flawlessly.