LED (VFD) Displays in LibreELEC

• michael123

Make sure that Common Anode = checked.

Please post a picture with it both checked and unchecked.

I've attached some pictures with it on and off. I also tried playing with the numbers mentioned by Iceman but didn't have much luck, it just changed the position of numbers and with no reference of what was what it was hard to work out where they should be. The screen went through the below (I missed some, changing every minute).

First value:

E

H

Example of some of a set:

5L

Thanks

• michael123

1. Common Anode should be on. As you can see digits that way, albeit they're upside down.

2. To turn digits right way up, change the display type to something else. (0, 2, 3 have the same orientation, 1 is 'up-side down').

3. What remains is to play with the indexes to find the correct index for each digit (and icons). The numbers in the linked post are a mere suggestion.

Index 0 represents the icons.

Index 1 Hours x10.

Index 2 Hours.

Index 3 Minutes x10.

Index 4 Minutes.

Perhaps values above 4 are valid, try them out.

Edit: I suspect that an index setting of 7, 3, 4, 5, 6 might work.

Edited once, last by The Coolest (March 16, 2018 at 2:17 AM).

• Device Tree Files: fd628_dev.zip DTB: T95UPro_Clone_gxm-q201-2g.dtb.zip

Hi The Coolest,

I have No Display on Mine I have the addon installed, My Box is a 2g T95U Pro Sunvell Clone the chip on the back of the vfd is FD62052 I have attatched my current dtb i use to boot LibreElec which was extracted from my original rom and also the files required from the device-tree folder.

Cool, thanks.

Here's the DTB. I know it should work, but not 100% sure if the icons will be displayed correctly, please let me know how that goes.

• Hey coolest,

That gives me a display, the last digit is upside down and flipped, the usb icon is displayed but no network/wifi icon i can live without that how do i flip the last digit so its the right way up and flipped.

Cheers

• Hey coolest,

That gives me a display, the last digit is upside down and flipped, the usb icon is displayed but no network/wifi icon i can live without that how do i flip the last digit so its the right way up and flipped.

Cheers

Please use the driver/service/add-on from this post: LED (VFD) Displays in LibreELEC

It will allow you to make configuration changes on the fly. The correct config for your box should be:

Code
    Display Type = 0
    Common Anode = unchecked.
    Index 0 is 4
    Index 1 is 0
    Index 2 is 1
    Index 3 is 2
    Index 4 is 3

Please post the settings that gives you a correct display.

Regarding the icons:

I understand that you can live without them, but for us to keep this project/feature alive, we need the correct configuration for each box we add support for.

You'd have to run the service in 'test mode', it'll show the order in which each segment is lit up.

I'll need a video of it running (a single loop is about 90 seconds).

To start the test mode, SSH into box, where the new driver is extracted. Run "sh test_led.sh -t"

A video like this one:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Thanks, made some good progress. I now have the time mostly working using a Display Type of 0. Values of X, 3, 4, 5, 6 have got the time working(20 39), but it has no colon in the middle and no icons still, I only have an index setting of up to 6, so I couldn't set the first value to 7, and 0-6 didn't work for it. Let me know if you need anything else, also as I used a DTD you attached somewhere else, what do I do if I need to update my build, keep using the old DTB?

Thanks again for the help so far.

• michael123

That is my bad. I updated the add-on to allow an index of 7.

Please replace the settings.xml (or just overwrite the whole folder) and try again.

A new driver will be ready soon, which doesn't require per-device DTBs, only a simple configuration file with all that's needed.

But with the current driver, I think that DTBs have not changed since 8.90.4.

*Edit: Attachment removed*

Edited 2 times, last by The Coolest (March 19, 2018 at 1:53 PM).

• Hey coolest,

New driver did the trick for T95U Pro here is the test video.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And your settings were spot on

Code
    Display Type = 0
    Common Anode = unchecked.
    Index 0 is 4
    Index 1 is 0
    Index 2 is 1
    Index 3 is 2
    Index 4 is 3

You really are the coolest 😉 thanks for your help.

• michael123

That is my bad. I updated the add-on to allow an index of 7.

Please replace the settings.xml (or just overwrite the whole folder) and try again.

A new driver will be ready soon, which doesn't require per-device DTBs, only a simple configuration file with all that's needed.

But with the current driver, I think that DTBs have not changed since 8.90.4.

Thanks, no joy though sadly, setting Index 0 - 7 blanks the first digit of the time. Would a vid using the test script help? Still no icons either.

• force9da

Thanks. This helped me fix the icon order. I attached a DTB with the correct configuration for everything, please try it out.

michael123

There must be some other place that rounds 7 back to 0. I attached a new M82 DTB, which should have all the correct configuration, so you shouldn't need the advanced settings in the add-on.

Ok, I had a bit of a brainfart, sorry. These controllers only have 7 words, that means an index from 0 - 6.

Please SSH into the box, and run the following command, see if some of the icons get lit up during the test loop, especially at the beginning, when everything is lit and the display is going from dark to bright.

Code
    sh test_led.sh -dt 0x00010000 -t

If you could get a video, like I and force9da posted, that would be even better.

• Hello, The Coolest

Thanks for all your hard work in the community. I was wondering if it would be possible for you to put together a DTB for a T95Z Plus, 2/16G that is compatible with kszaq's (S912) 8.2.2.3? (I apologize if a dtb has already been created for this version, my searches only found 3/32GB variants and 8.90.x versions).

This box uses this DTB - gxm_q200_2g.dtb.

Here are links to the FD628 files from android and the original android DTB - T95Z Plus 2/16GB Android DTB

Cheers!

• Kshi

The built in driver in kszaq's build is old and outdated.

I suggest using the newest one available right now. I attached the latest build of the driver and the Kodi add-on you will need for icons and configuration.

This new version doesn't require a device specific DTB file, but a generic entry, which I added to all of kszaq's DTBs in the attached zip.

So replace the DTB on your box with the relevant one from the zip and you should be good to go.

You'll need a vfd.config file, placed in /storage/.config. Get it here: GitHub - arthur-liberman/vfd-configurations: vfd.config - A collection of configuration files for linux devices with a front facing display.

Extract the FD628 Display zip file in your box, then run

Code
    sh test_led.sh

This should start the clock on the display.

If it works correctly, you can run

Code
    sh install.sh

To make it permanent.

The commands to start the driver/service will be added to the autostart.sh file.

Note: This driver is intended for builds based on the old kernel (it won't run on the new kernel), and it is not needed for 8.90.6.