Add built-in Java support

• I am on RPi2 and LE 9 RC2 and it works 1 out of 5 times or less.

Sometimes it works, then having only a Background Pic, then it doesn't start at all.

Very buggy the whole thing.

Mostly having errors like

CDVDInputStreamBluray - unhandled libbluray event 33 [param 3]

CDVDInputStreamBluray - unhandled libbluray event 32 [param 0]

those 2 are no problem, they appear also on Windows

OpenDemuxStream - Error creating demuxer

GetDirectory - Error getting udf://...http://bla.iso/BDMV/JAR/01001/OSM_GER_Composite1.png

and such

often Java fails showing a first popup menu for language selection. only showing the background pic.

It works better if I don't choose 'show bluray menus' in the settings but in the simple menu after starting the movie. Might be a problem with the mounting, that takes ages in the RPi2.

Edited 7 times, last by novalis (January 30, 2019 at 9:58 PM).

• Hello. I just got a NUC 7I3BNK and was wondering if anyone could explain exactly how i get the java functionality for full bluray menus in libreelec? I am coming from an ageing Popcorn Hour A-210 which plays menus flawlesly,well mostly,and it is duying,so i would really like a working replacement.

Thank you..

• Hi everyone.

Looks like some of you are having success with gettiung your BD menus working. I'm less technically minded than some of you; I'm running Libreelec on a Raspberry Pi 2, Kodi Leia.

Is anyone able to produce an "idiot's guide" as to how to get my Blu Rays working, step-by-step, assuming I know nothing?

Grateful for any help received!

richard

• So I tried it on Wetek Play 1 and BD-J menus works. Just like on RPi.

I installed your latest addon(program.jre.zulu-9.0.101-Generic.x86_64.zip) and it worked, thanks for your hard work.

But it seems the performance is not that good, sometimes when I clicked a menu button, I felt it was a little laggy and not very smooth.

FYI, I run libreeclec 9.0.1 on my old Mac Mini (Late 2012) which has an Intel i7 CPU.

• Try to remove this zulu version (which is based on OpenJDK) and install program.java-9.0.101-generic.x86_64.zip with Oracle JRE.

Compare if works better. I don't have much experience except that I see menus :)

I'm thinking to push the addon to official repo because now I have everything build from sources (except JDK/JRE).

I reinstalled the Oracle JRE version and tested the save movie, no obvious difference, maybe a little improvement, like 10%?

I just want to report two issues/bugs which exist in both OpenJDK and Oracle versions.

1. When I play in Bluray-Menus mode, fast-forward and fast-backward button do not work(they can switch chapters in normal play mode)

2. When I play in Bluray-Menus mode, switching subtitle functionality does not work. Everytime I changed a subtitle, it just fell back to the initial one.

In normal play mode(not activating menus), these above issues do not exist.

Edited once, last by liunice (July 3, 2019 at 9:55 AM).

• Ok, then I will stick with OpenJDK.

Seems when playing with BD menus video playing behaves differently.

This fast-forward and fast-backward issue I already noticed. I'm talking with one guy who knows this area little better and he told me that according to Blu-ray specs, players should always support rate 2 (double speed). Higher speeds can also be supported, but isn't required. Not sure why this doesn't work in Kodi.

On "the other forum" user also reported that video was software decoded. When playing without menus they are decoded in hw. Not sure why.

Maybe The team could ask about this issues Kodi devs.

This fast-forward and fast-backward issue I already noticed. I'm talking with one guy who knows this area little better and he told me that according to Blu-ray specs, players should always support rate 2 (double speed). Higher speeds can also be supported, but isn't required. Not sure why this doesn't work in Kodi.

On "the other forum" user also reported that video was software decoded. When playing without menus they are decoded in hw. Not sure why.

I noticed my mac mini became very hot and its fan got very noisy after playing BD menus video for several minutes. Maybe like you said, the video was software decoded...

I think the software-decoding issue also explains the performance issue of BD menus, since software-decoding is using too much CPU resource, not enough left for java runtime...