LE9.0 remote configs ir-keytable Amlogic devices

• Does anybody know why Kodi does not want to react for some keys? For example:

No reaction:

535.282307: event type EV_MSC(0x04): scancode = 0x10f

535.282307: event type EV_KEY(0x01) key_down: KEY_I(0x0017)

565.875246: event type EV_KEY(0x01) key_down: KEY_O(0x0018)

565.875246: event type EV_SYN(0x00).

565.886444: event type EV_MSC(0x04): scancode = 0x143

565.886444: event type EV_SYN(0x00).

566.000252: event type EV_MSC(0x04): scancode = 0x143

566.000252: event type EV_SYN(0x00).

566.250122: event type EV_KEY(0x01) key_up: KEY_O(0x0018)

When I press the same keys on physical keyboard, it works.

Also, reaction for key C:

629.107812: event type EV_KEY(0x01) key_down: KEY_C(0x002e)

629.107812: event type EV_SYN(0x00).

629.118971: event type EV_MSC(0x04): scancode = 0x100

629.118971: event type EV_SYN(0x00).

629.230158: event type EV_MSC(0x04): scancode = 0x100

629.230158: event type EV_SYN(0x00).

629.480127: event type EV_KEY(0x01) key_up: KEY_C(0x002e)

Kodi reacts to it the same as Esc (or back), again - when I press the same key on physical keboard, it works. As you can see, codes are set correctly, wtf? It looks like events from some keys, like O, F, B, I are recognised, but not actually working. Bug?

Edited once, last by giaur509 (January 7, 2019 at 4:42 PM).

• Remote input is handled differently than keyboard input.

Kernel input events from remotes are translated to lirc events by eventlircd, then received by kodi as lirc events and run through the Lircmap.xml -> translations in Kodi and are finally mapped by <remote> blocks in keyboard.xml files.

so long,

Hias

• Remote input is handled differently than keyboard input.

Kernel input events from remotes are translated to lirc events by eventlircd, then received by kodi as lirc events and run through the Lircmap.xml -> translations in Kodi and are finally mapped by <remote> blocks in keyboard.xml files.

so long,

Hias

So, how to map E for epg, C for menu etc?Can you describe that a bit more?

• What kind of remote are you using and did you create the IR keymap file by yourself?

If you create an IR keymap it's best to stick to the keycodes that are usually found on remotes (see eg the rc6_mce keymap of the Microsoft MCE remote) as these will work out-of-the-box in kodi. More details are in the wiki Infrared Remotes [LibreELEC.wiki]

If you are using an RF remote it's not using the ir-keytable configuration discussed in this thread - in this case please open a separate thread.

so long,

Hias

• What kind of remote are you using and did you create the IR keymap file by yourself?

If you create an IR keymap it's best to stick to the keycodes that are usually found on remotes (see eg the rc6_mce keymap of the Microsoft MCE remote) as these will work out-of-the-box in kodi. More details are in the wiki Infrared Remotes [LibreELEC.wiki]

If you are using an RF remote it's not using the ir-keytable configuration discussed in this thread - in this case please open a separate thread.

so long,

Hias

I created separate thread: Custom remote for Libreelec 9.0 to describe what am I trying to do. Can you help?

• I am still confused with that. In general, no lags but if (for example) I keep pressing Down button very quickly, 1 of 3 events are lost. This never happens with usb keyboard, as well as with old remote.conf approach from LE 8.0. New stuff, as it's more straightforward and easy to configure, is worse at current stage in my opinion. This must be some amlogic specific issue, I used to use exactly the same approach on my PC with my dvb-t tuner and never had such problems.

• I am still confused with that. In general, no lags but if (for example) I keep pressing Down button very quickly, 1 of 3 events are lost.

This is caused by a combination of using remotes with the NEC protocol (which doesn't have a flag if it's a new button press) in combination with the old 3.14 kernel (which is missing the IR optimizations found in current linux kernels).

You can get better remote response by running

Code
    ir-ctl -t 30000

Just add it to autostart.sh (you can test with lower values, down to 10000-20000 as well)

so long,

Hias

• I really hope someone can help me as this is driving me mad..

I have a Tronsmart Vega S95 Telos.
    CoreElec 8.95.7 Fresh install with correct DTB file.

I follow the steps on Page 1 and get the "14 commands written successfully to driver" message, but the remote still does nothing.

Much the same problem as

I also copied the line

0x100 KEY_FAVORITES

to my config file as suggested here..

But still nothing. Can someone save me please?

• Actully better to bui air mouse remote, looking how does it work after drop old remote.conf it's not worth, at least for me, not enough patience to use ir remote now. No matter what I do or configure, unable to fire fast events by continous fast key press, it's very frustrating especially when I need to scrool down 100 channels in pvr mode. I would advice to return back to remote.conf until this issue is resolved but I know this is not gonna happen.

• Actully better to bui air mouse remote, looking how does it work after drop old remote.conf it's not worth, at least for me, not enough patience to use ir remote now. No matter what I do or configure, unable to fire fast events by continous fast key press, it's very frustrating especially when I need to scrool down 100 channels in pvr mode. I would advice to return back to remote.conf until this issue is resolved but I know this is not gonna happen.

If you want precise control then use an IR remote using the rc6 protocol (eg Microsoft MCE remote) or the rc5 protocol (eg Philips or Hauppauge remotes).

IR remotes using the NEC protocol (eg most of the cheap remotes from Asia) won't work as precise as the former ones as there's no toggle bit in the protocol.

You can work around to some extend by reducing the IR timeout (ir-ctl -t ...) but in the end you got what you paid for :)

so long,

Hias