Does dolby vision playback for movies work with Libre Elec on the Minix u9-h?

• Im getting very mixed messages across the internet if the u9-h plays dolby vision. for some it doesnt do it at all, for some only demo's. for some movies and demo's....

User skynet @ Minix Forum:
    "I just tested this 4K Dolby Vision HDR : LG: Dolby Vision UHD 4K Demo | 4K Media
    I can play it but not in HDR mode and it stutters a lit bit.
    All others BT2020 10 bits HDR work fine."

On reddit:
    Dolby Vision doesn't work yet unless you have an Oppo UHD Jailbroken Player.

Then someone else comes and says:
    "Libre ELEC on u9-h and shield supports dolby vision via raw BluRay files... No remux support yet because of how mkvs work."

I say that you have 2 dolby vision streams, and that I heared that the one that is able to playback actual UHD Dolby Vision is missing, just the Dolby Vision Stream to Playback Dolby Vision Streams.

Correct... Type it into Google and check the forums on Libre ELEC... It's far superior to Android version of kodi. I run it on my neo u1 and u9-h....
    Go. Directly to the Libre forums not the minix forums... I run both 17.6 and kodi 18 that's based on Libre 9

So he's saying that it has the same functionallity for dolby vision as the Oppo Player..

Someone on kodi forum:

"f this question is about the Minix U9-H, there is no Dolby Vision support at all. The box doesn't even have HDCP 2.2 enabled which is required for Netflix 4K. You have to use a patched Netflix apk to get 720p streaming with the official Android firmware. With Android TV firmware, you can get 1080p streaming.

What you see on that website is copy & paste of Amlogic specifications. Amlogic has designed the SoC to support HDR10, HLG & Dolby Vision. I have yet to see one box with this SoC that supports Dolby Vision. I have checked another S912 box that shows Dolby Vision options in its firmware and even on that, Dolby Vision wasn't working."

"Yep - media players/streamers will have DV support in their specs to support streaming services like Netflix etc. who offer DV content. They won't offer it for playing UHD HDR Blu-ray rips with DV content."
    "Yep - though beware, as I mentioned, there are two different standards now for carrying DV over HDMI - so you could end up with a DV source that isn't compatible with your DV display.."

"UHD DV Blu-ray uses a very different DV profile to streaming services that use DV. Even if you do find a box that runs Kodi and has DV support you can't expect it to play UHD DV rips, as it is likely to only support DV profiles used by stereaming services.. (DV are unlikely to licence a product to play content that can only have been sourced through ripping...)

There's another thing to consider with DV too - as changes appear to be afoot.

We now also appear to have a fork in how Dolby Vision UHD Blu-ray players (and other devices?) work over HDMI too...

Sony's recent DV upgrade to their UHD TVs seems to have surprised a lot of people by sending the dynamic HDR DV metadata over HDMI using the new dynamic metadata signalling introduced in HDMI 2.1 - that also allows for HDR10+? (I'm guessing they have retrospectively added it to HDMI 2.0b compatible TVs?).

Other DV compatible TVs require the TV to extract the DV metadata embedded in the video stream itself (where it is tunnelled I believe?).

So now there are two different ways of carrying a DV signal over HDMI it seems. (Suggestion are that DV being added to non-DV specific hardware may be the reason between the differences)

This means that DV compatible UHD Blu-ray players will need to be able to output DV over HDMI in two different ways to be compatible with both flavours of DV TVs, and will need to offer the new dynamic metadata carried in the HDMI standard via a firmware upgrade. Sony's forthcoming X700 UHD Bu-ray player will no doubt support their version of DV signalling, and Oppo have announced they will too. Who knows what media player manufacturers will do..."

"You can trust my finding or test it out yourself. I also have to say that it is highly unlikely that any device that isn't an Ultra HD Blur-ray player will support Dolby Vision profile 7 (the one used in retail Ultra HD Blu-rays). Profile 7 support on devices that are not Blu-rays indirectly means support of ripping Ultra HD Blu-rays."

So does it support playback of Bluray UHD Dolby Vision or not... I ordered the miniX u9-h few days ago and it is coming within 2 weeks.

• There's no HDR support on Linux, Dolby Vision or not.

Eh?

LibreElec and OSMC on my two S905X boxes happily play back HDR10 HEVC content with the correct PQ ST.2084 OETF (as used by HDR10) flagged, the correct Rec 2020 colour space flagged, the correct primaries (Rec 2020 or DCI-P3) and the correct Max/Min Luminance metadata via HDMI Infoframes. Confirmed this with an HDMI analyser downstream of my boxes.

If you enable 10 bit output on the S905X from the command line (on LibreElec you do this before you play a video, on OSMC you can do it and then restart Kodi) you get 10 bit output too (by default current S905X builds send 8 bit - which is not good for HDR)

They don't handle Rec 2020 HLG properly - but CNX-soft reports that the S905X doesn't support HLG, and the S905L is needed for that. (Annoying as HLG is just Rec 2020 SDR with an 'HLG EOTF present' flag - no need for other metadata...)

Both LibreElec and OSMC are Linux...

(Or do you mean there's no HDR support on x86 Linux ?)

• Now escalade there is not even HDR support... While that has been clearly reported working.. What is going on...
    No matter if someone says dolby vision is working or not.. i can't believe either answer. because everyone seems to have a different one..

• Now escalade there is not even HDR support... While that has been clearly reported working.. What is going on...
    No matter if someone says dolby vision is working or not.. i can't believe either answer. because everyone seems to have a different one..

Most (all?) LibreElec builds are not officially supporting HDR (probably because it's new, and a whole world of hurt) - but irrespective of official support, lots of us are getting what appears to be proper 10 bit BT.2084 BT.2020 replay with the correct metadata from 2160p HDR10 HEVC files...

• Well I do appreciate all the explanations, but it's mostly all chinese to me cuz of the technicallness :D

So... Then has anyone tested Actual dobly vision files? Demo's and or actual BD dolby vision rips?

• A demo clip isn't the best example—demo clips are almost universally single-layer, and we know that the Apple TV 4K can play them in MrMC and Infuse (latest betas only, but this is at least a working solution). I just tested an untouched .m2ts file direct from the UHD disc of Spider-Man Homecoming. Mediainfo verifies that this m2ts has a 1080p DV layer separate from the 2160p HDR10 track. LibreELEC (MINIX NEO U9-H, Amlogic S912) ignores the DV layer and sends an HDR10 stream to my display (Vizio P75 with Dolby Vision).

• I just tested an untouched .m2ts file direct from the UHD disc of Spider-Man Homecoming. Mediainfo verifies that this m2ts has a 1080p DV layer separate from the 2160p HDR10 track. LibreELEC (MINIX NEO U9-H, Amlogic S912) ignores the DV layer and sends an HDR10 stream to my display (Vizio P75 with Dolby Vision).

I was going to post the exact same thing. I tested 3 different Dolby Vision movies with latest 8.90.3 GDPR-2 build on a M8S Pro & LG C7 OLED and they all played back in regular HDR10 mode. The single-track demo clip playback was in SDR mode.

I remember that johngalt had mentioned some commands that had to be used to enable/control Dolby Vision playback. I can't find it now, but I had tried Dolby Vision play back in one of his very early builds. It didn't work at that time also.

A demo clip isn't the best example—demo clips are almost universally single-layer

The demo clips are single-track dual layer. Profile IDs 4 and 7 are dual layer. 5/8/9 are single layer.

• There are NO DolbyVision UHD .mkv Rips, just demo clips - and even then very few of us have DV capable TV's to test such clips.

It is simply impossible at this time for UHD Ripping and REMUXing software to process and add the seperate DolbyVision Profile 7 metadata track to a .mkv container

https://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16986

No im not talking about MKV rips. There are DV Bluray complete rips.. those are m2ts files with the DV video track in them.
    Thats why im asking for people who may have tested it. I understand not many people have such hardware.
    Then I guess will be among the first to test it? Appearently it has worked for someone on reddit... Well I shouldn't get my hopes up.
    But we'll see I guess.

• Demo clip Tested on LG 55C7V (HDR + DV)

- Read from TV, DV logo appear at start

- Read from LibreElec 8.2 on U9-H, no DV logo

Hey you have a very similiair tv. I have the LG 55 C7
    The reddit user said " 17.6 and kodi 18 that's based on Libre 9"

But you say Libreelec 8.2? Idk ...
    Can you try a dolby vision complete UHD rip (m2ts file etc.)

• I was going to post the exact same thing. I tested 3 different Dolby Vision movies with latest 8.90.3 GDPR-2 build on a M8S Pro & LG C7 OLED and they all played back in regular HDR10 mode. The single-track demo clip playback was in SDR mode.

I remember that johngalt had mentioned some commands that had to be used to enable/control Dolby Vision playback. I can't find it now, but I had tried Dolby Vision play back in one of his very early builds. It didn't work at that time also.

The demo clips are single-track dual layer. Profile IDs 4 and 7 are dual layer. 5/8/9 are single layer.

When you say you test 3 different dolby vision movies. What was your test material? Also the m8S pro is not the Minix uh-9?

Some additional commands? hmmm perhaps someone can remember