Posts by narenh

Android N+ supports single track Dolby Vision, we know this because some phone hardware supports Netflix DV playback and it's likely Google's new Chromecast/Android TV Stick coming out at I/O next week will replace the Chromecast Ultra (and therefore also have DV support). The problem is of course that non-streaming DV content (UHD Blu-ray disc backups) is dual-track and there are no public software implementations of the dual-track decoder. If there is exists a studio tool that can losslessly convert between dual- and single- track (I don't know if that package linked by Grencola is legit or not), it's likely that we could get DV playback working on the new Android TV stick. But that wouldn't be LibreELEC.

Only Sony had DV issues over HDMI and they're largely fixed. Every other DV TV works fine over HDMI (LG, Vizio, TCL). Regardless it's not really relevant to this discussion, since we're only concerned with TVs that do support DV over HDMI.

Unfortunately, looks like the new version of PowerDVD won't support Dolby Vision. Without a working software implementation, I feel like this is going to be really difficult.

The Coolest: for dual-track DV implementations, this is correct. UHD discs use a 1080p DV track, even though the main HDR10 track is 2160p. However, single-track implementations work differently. The Apple TV 4K only supports single-track DV, and the only test files we have are LG TV demo videos and the Aerial flyovers from entries.json. Dual-track DV is (imho) the more important problem to solve, as there is no actual single-track DV content publicly available outside of the iTunes Store—and there are many DV UHD discs that people have ripped into their own personal collections.

ATV4K wouldn't help you play back DV content from UHD discs. And 4K movies on iTunes are pretty bit-starved, my old iTunes digital copy of The Dark Knight got upgraded to 4K and there are noticeable compression artifacts that aren't present on the UHD disc (and yes, I have content matching on so it's not the fault of Apple's atrocious SDR->HDR/DV tone-mapping).

So I guess the final word is that we have to wait until someone can reverse engineer dual-track DV playback? Thanks for the layer/track clarification @wesk05!

Frankly 99% of Reddit posters have no idea what they are on about.

Lolol very true :P

But yes, it's much easier to focus on the m2ts files and worry about better containers later. But it's becoming clear that mediacodec on Android and AVFoundation on tvOS have only implemented single-layer DV, and I'm worried that without any easily accessible software implementations this is gonna be a really tough thing to get working. PowerDVD doesn't support DV on Windows, right?

A demo clip isn't the best example—demo clips are almost universally single-layer, and we know that the Apple TV 4K can play them in MrMC and Infuse (latest betas only, but this is at least a working solution). I just tested an untouched .m2ts file direct from the UHD disc of Spider-Man Homecoming. Mediainfo verifies that this m2ts has a 1080p DV layer separate from the 2160p HDR10 track. LibreELEC (MINIX NEO U9-H, Amlogic S912) ignores the DV layer and sends an HDR10 stream to my display (Vizio P75 with Dolby Vision).