Video Card for HEVC 265 10bit

• ... it is not as wonderful as I hoped it would be.

So, proper HDR10 UHD is currently a no go with libreelec.

Does it work with Windows 10?

Edited once, last by ix400 (January 25, 2018 at 3:11 PM).

• I found a ati/amd video card that support hevc 10bit with vdpau (Radeon RX 550).

Unfortunatly hardwaredecoding does not work with Kodi anyway. H264 is decoded on hardware...

Any idea why this does not work?

• Official Post

So that means there are no discrete GPUs (under $100 at least) that supports 10 bit HEVC in Libreelec? Only option is Gemini/Kaby right now?

Yup. It's a sucky situation and that's one of the reasons we've been working on a next-generation rendering/decoding pipeline that extends Kodi (on Linux) support to a range of other SoC types so people have more hardware options in the future. It's not going to change the discrete GPU situation though. They're somewhat out of fashion these days.

• Its been a while since I've been on this thread. I was curious where we stand with LE and 10bit HDR on either nvidia hw or intel hardware. I know the regular builds of LE are still Kodi 17 so they don't do HDR but i know there are development builds now that do ....

Today my old Zotac Mag box died and I'm looking for a replacement for it. I dont' need anything to run on there other then kodi so I can even go with an Andriod type of box for it but I do like to run Aeon Silvio on it so that does use a bit more resources and i know my Atom box previously was a bit sluggish. I don't have a 4k tv yet but plan to have this box hooked up to one in the next couple months so thats why I would prefer to buy something that is future proofed for that.

Edited once, last by pletopia (August 2, 2018 at 12:45 AM).

• Not much change. Current generations of NUC are still the best 'performance' option but HDR support in the Intel GPU drivers is still under active development. Current Amlogic S905X/D devices have sort-of HDR support, but there are some lurking issues in the 3.14 kernel that will never be resolved and although mainline kernel is progressing nicely we are still some way from having full HDMI 2.0 support; and HDR support there will ultimately depend on some of the same "work in progress" kernel bits that the Intel GPU drivers need.

I have no doubt that both Intel, Amlogic, Rockchip etc. will have proper HDR support in the future, but I wouldn't want to guess timescales :)

• From what I've read so far, an Nvidia 1050 should be able to decode h265 with no problems. For some reason this new box I've built shows hardware decoding inactive when it hits an h265 clip. H264 is fine.

Any ideas?

• 10bit works for Nvidia at linux too (afaik) but just with the new, NOT standard, api that is not supported by kodi.

That's what must have been confusing me. I went and looked at Nvidia Linux drivers and they've supported it for ages. So the culprit is Kodi. Fingers crossed v18 surprised us!

• So the culprit is Kodi.

the culprit is nvidia that created a new api that nobody supports, afaik no plans yet to add this to kodi at all - also the old nvidia not standard api gets removed with kodi 19 (at least that was the plan some time ago)

Kodi goes that "just support the OS standard" route or it won't work (just imagine NVIDIA won't support DirectX at Windows)

• One of the design goals for K19 is the removal of all vendor proprietary interfaces. iMX6 is already gone and VDPAU/amcodec can be removed once the K18 release branch is forked. VAAPI gets a pass because it's no longer Intel specific (AMD and Allwinner will use it). One of the related design goals for LE10 is the removal of X11 and it's many dependencies.

The next generation Kodi video pipeline based on DRM/GBM allows us to support 10+ different GPU/SoC types (everything except nVidia) under a single framework and code path. There is nothing to stop someone implementing EGL streams, but it's not going to be popular with the main Kodi architects (given the design goals) and so far nobody is volunteering to do the work.

Unless that situation changes there will be a technical decision to terminate nVidia support after LE 9.0, and we are actively collecting stats on the number of installed devices with nVidia GPU's to quantify the impact of that decision. NB: If LE ends nVidia support you can still install drivers under Ubuntu or some other distro using Wayland or Xorg.