Can't browse SMB shares on Krypton version

• I just made new install latest Libre elec on Pi3+ , no SAMBA , I'm with Win 7 , tried to find some tutorial - no any success . Any help ?

We don't even know what the problem is - are you having a problem accessing your Windows share from LibreELEC, or are you having a problem accessing the LibreELEC shares from Windows?

Assuming the former, have you read the blog which explains you must now enable authentication when accessing the Windows share (create a username/password in Windows, add this user to your Windows share, use this username/password when accessing the Windows share from LibreELEC).

• I did fresh installation ony my RPi too. And as tiho I have a trouble with Samba. It is impossible to connect to RPi as well as to other devices on same network. Port 445 is opened. Tried set minimal SMB to all versions and activate authentication, but no results.

• Tried set minimal SMB to all versions and activate authentication, but no results.

Please be _very_ clear about what you have tried, what the problem is, and what clients are involved.

What is your client - is it a Windows PC? What version - is it Windows 10 with the latest 1803 update?

Where did you activate authentication? Activating authentication in the client won't have any effect when accessing the LibreELEC Samba Server, but you may need to activate authentication in the LibreELEC Samba Server if your client (whatever that is, because we don't know) now enforces authentication when accessing shares.

You should leave the SMB versions at default, as min=SMB2 should be supported by all but the oldest clients.

• Thanks, for your fast reply. My OS is Win10 Pro - 1803. I discovered, that if minimal version is set to smb1 then it is working. But I think It is a security risk.

• Thanks, for your fast reply. My OS is Win10 Pro - 1803. I discovered, that if minimal version is set to smb1 then it is working. But I think It is a security risk.

So when you said "It is impossible to connect to RPi" what you actually meant was "I can't see the RPi when browsing the network", correct?

Network browsing no longer works (and this has been pointed out so many times), as it requires SMB1 which you should not use. Ever. You should not even leave SMB1 enabled in your Windows 10 machine, as SMB1 is a security risk _even when you don't use SMB1_.

Get used to entering the \\ipaddress as donbrew has pointed out.

• I already tried connect to my RPi directly over IP, but it does not work, when I have minimal version other than SMB1!

Code
    C:\Users\Erik>ping LOZNICE

Pinging LOZNICE [192.168.1.15] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.1.15: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.1.15: bytes=32 time=74ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.1.15: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64

Now I enabled Network Discovery on my computer. And \\LOZNICE works, but \\192.168.1.15 still doesn't with minimal version sets to SMB2.

Port test says that 445 is open.

Stranger Things....

• Official Post

If using SMB2/3 the Win10 (client) requires an authenticated connection; i.e. you MUST enable user/password on the LE (Samba) server else the auth attempt fails. I'm starting to think we need to enable authentication as the default because Win10 users appear to be generally incapable of turning things on for themselves.

• HI All,

I have a similar issue with 8.2.5, I'm new to LE and have converted from Openelec, I had OE installed on 3X raspberry Pi's and 2X HTPC. I have a NAS running ubuntu server with Samba so I can see it with my Windows machines (a mixture of 7 & 10) and I can see the NAS on all my windows machines with no issues. I had my HTPC's and Pi's all set up to read films from the NAS on OE and since I have changed to LE it still picks up all the films including any new files I add to the NAS but I am now adding TV shows to the NAS and when I try and select to the NAS through SMB on LE on all the Pi's and HTPC's none of my network shows up. It must be LE because it was showing on OE and I can see the NAS on all my windows machines and my android devices.

I have minimum SMB version set to 1 and maximum set to 3 (although I have tried with them set to none as well) and my workgroup name is correct.

Has anyone got any idea's

• Official Post

If SMB min1/max3 is set the Kodi SMB client will default to SMB2 so browsing will not work. If you force min/max to SMB1 it should work, but this is a dumb configuration to run due to the security issues and having a NAS that works with SMB2/3. I personally find it's easier to SSH in and edit /storage/.kodi/userdata/sources.xml to copy/paste add a new source to the listing as the only real edit is changing the /path/to/source. Save and restart Kodi to pick up the change.

• Many thanks Chewitt,

Tried changing min & Max SMB to 1 and hey presto but I did also SSH in and modify sources.xml as my final solution, works a treat.

• Hi!

I also have a similar situation. There is a shared HDD (windows 10, everyone writes and reads) that I can not access.

I will enter the ip address but will not connect. If samba min/max1 works, but only if the user account is password protected.

If I edit the /storage/.kodi/userdata/sources.xml file, it only works with min/max 1. And of course with a password.

Here is a log here:

http://ix.io/1ls6

Thank you for your help.

• Hi guys! Having problem with browsing smb after update from 7.0.3 as well :(

Server named HTPC with LibreElec 8.2.5 generic, smb user and password set and settings min smb2 and max smb3. Can browse it from my mac osx.

Client LibreElec 8.2.3.1 on amlogic smb2 and max 3 set user and password stored and getting Connection timed out :/

edit: Actually I don't have this file : Kodi SMB client configuration is stored in /storage/.kodi/.smb/smb.conf which can be extended with changes in /storage/.kodi/.smb/user.conf

What should it be in this config ?

Got it working.

Edited 3 times, last by Borygo77 (September 8, 2018 at 1:12 PM).