Tanix TX3 Mini with Amlogic S905W CPU - Libreelec

• LibreELEC-Dual-Boot-Header-U-1.1.jpg

Updated to 1.1 (20180109)

Change log:

1. Fixed menu key (hamburger button). Working now.

2. Allow installation of addons from unkown sources.

3. The vfd can show wifi, eth, usb, play, pause.

4. LibreELEC Reboot Window. Now you can reboot to android from every skin. Just press "Power" button on your remote.

How to boot from LibreELEC or Android? When you are running one of the systems, just long press "power" button on your remote. A menu will be displayed, then, you can reboot to the other OS.

Sample when using Mimic

Reboot-From-LibreELEC-to-Android-Tanix.jpg

All subscribers have been notified by email. Remember check your spam folder.

If you are new with this firmware, download here: Tanix TX3 Max & Mini Dual OS Edition - LibreELEC + Android firmware - TANIX TV Box

• I am keen to see a public URL to the sources of this so-called LibreELEC image? .. or are Tanix just another cheap GPL violating manufacturer?

Sure, you will see. Why not?

I think, after this update, the system is working enough well to be opened (hope).

Just waiting some feedback from Tanix community.

• My first impressions on the system are generally good, especially the android version (Alice UX). The Libreelec version is a devel version of some kind and NOT the latest from kszaq. I have strange stutters on some movies while in 8.2.2.3 for S905x I have none on the same movies.

So it is down to my first question I had made some days ago. How can the firmware be updated to the latest by kszaq? Why the choice on some devel version and not the latest by kszaq?

• Javi is there any chance you can supply the source code for the Wifi driver and the LCD/vfd display as support for this device so we can properly support this device upstream.

The device is already supported in community builds with the precompiled binary blobs that have been supplied by Oranth but we really do require the source for these 2 components.

• Javi is there any chance you can supply the source code for the Wifi driver and the LCD/vfd display as support for this device so we can properly support this device upstream.

The device is already supported in community builds with the precompiled binary blobs that have been supplied by Oranth but we really do require the source for these 2 components.

Engineers are preparing everything. As soon as they are done I will back to you.

• As a Developer I like to see Vendors picking up on work made by the community and maybe improve it. We are doing this for free and we only expect that you obey to the GPL. I guess the law is not an issue for most of the Chinese Vendors but it's also very disrespectful to take someone's work bundle it on their website (where I have to subscribe to get it btw) without source code.

I can only ask every Community User not to use that image (use original work by kszaq or GDPR-2 ) and not to buy their Hardware until we see some code.

I'm a little Community builder not a big company with lot's of engineers and I'm able to push all my sources to Github before I make a binary release.

• I do not know what is the problem. I said we will release the source.

Engineers here have many things to do, they will finish when they think it is ok accord to their tasks. We also do not have hundreds, in fact, just 2 of them are looking on this.

This firmware even has not been flashed to any device in the factory, we just did it because many users requested. Just trying to make our users happy. Right now I have not idea if someone will be selling a kind of "LibreELEC box" based on this.

It is really difficult here in China (I am Spanish) to explain to a manufacturer why have to do these things (work on a different OS) and build an even small structure to support end-users, I am doing that (as well as I can).

I know they did some work around the display, and we do not have any problem to share.

Edited once, last by Javi (January 13, 2018 at 10:17 AM).

• but it's also very disrespectful to take someone's work bundle it on their website (where I have to subscribe to get it btw) without source code release.

My idea.

I think you will find few (or no one) companies like us sending emails with both .IMG and .ZIP versions, linking to flashing guides, asking them to join the community (included a link to this topic), videos and all that we can do. It takes too much time to build those newsletters every time we release a firmware (what probably has been released first in an Alpha and BETA version to ensure everything is working when the stable version reaches end-users).

Please, do not assume certain things so quickly.

Engineers here have many things to do, they will finish when they think it is ok accord to their tasks. We also do not have hundreds, in fact, just 2 of them are looking on this.

This firmware even has not been flashed to any device in the factory, we just did it because many users requested. Just trying to make our users happy. Right now I have not idea if someone will be selling a kind of "LibreELEC box" based on this.

It is really difficult here in China (I am Spanish) to explain to a manufacturer why have to do these things (work on a different OS) and build an even small structure to support end-users, I am doing that (as well as I can).

I know they did some work around the display, and we do not have any problem to share.

If you don't know what the Problem is I'd kindly advice you to read the GPL license. I don't care if engineers have lot to do I have lot to do too. If you distribute binaries you have to provide sources ideally the same way you distribute binaries.

The problem is that two weeks ago you came barging down our (forum) door in someone else's topic, with Tanix firmwares for Tanix hardware. The same goes for mr. juandoemx, posting links of MEGA downloads of unverifiable content. IMO, there is a commercial element there where the LibreELEC forum is being used as advertiser (for free). And as already pointed out, there is such a thing as the GPL licence, not to mention the lack of some type of "professional courtesy call" towards the LibreELEC team in using their source code and logo.

So for me, both your forum entries and stalling to provide sources for whatever pretext is a poor example of how to send out your business card.

• May I suggest as a compromise, perhaps a time limit could be set, for the release of the sources codes or whatever, ( I don't understand these things myself)

If after, say 2 weeks, nothing is produced, then perhaps a ban could be imposed?

• To adhere the letter of the GPL license you must ship an offer to provide sources on request. The definition of 'sources' includes everything that goes into the shipped software, i.e. original LE code and the sources for all packages used in the image. If we submit a formal request for sources, we should be able to reproduce the software in its entirety with what you provide.

The GNU GPL was written in an era when sources were distributed primarily on CD. In the modern world where an LE image can be downloaded in seconds the Linux community norm is for sources to be provided online and without request, and ideally in a way that allows modified sources to be easily compared against the original so the differences can be isolated and understood.

The GPLv2 terms of our license apply to *everyone* who publishes an LE image. In practice we are not going to raise concerns over the niche-use and small audience images that appear in these forums. However, commercial entities must be compliant.

Tanix have shipped software with no offer of or provision of sources, so Tanix are violating our GPLv2 license. The normal practice in this situation is to request the offending party to cease distribution of software whlie the violation is investigated and resolved.

Publishing changes would be a good first step towards compliance. It doesn't take much effort for an experienced Engineer to create a GitHub account, fork our repo (so changes are in a child repo that shows inheritance from upstream) and then push changes back.

• The problem is that two weeks ago you came barging down our (forum) door in someone else's topic, with Tanix firmwares for Tanix hardware. The same goes for mr. juandoemx, posting links of MEGA downloads of unverifiable content. IMO, there is a commercial element there where the LibreELEC forum is being used as advertiser (for free). And as already pointed out, there is such a thing as the GPL licence, not to mention the lack of some type of "professional courtesy call" towards the LibreELEC team in using their source code and logo.

So for me, both your forum entries and stalling to provide sources for whatever pretext is a poor example of how to send out your business card.

;( Please, I did not come here to arge again and again.

I have posted Tanix things in a Topic about Tanix hardware already opened.

I do not know who is mr. juandomx, but looking at his post it is a partial copy of our newsletter.

Could everything be done in a better way? Sure, and I accept my responsability.

When I say "I don't undestand where is the problem" I mean: The source will be released as I said. But I can not force other people to do something right now if they can't. As well as I can't back to the past and do the things in a different way.

We are new to LibreELEC, just requesting time to do these things better... I do not know how much we can contribute, maybe a little, maybe a lot, we will see.

• Javi putting current issues aside, I actually bought one of these Tanix boxes for my home, I own a number of TX3 boxes so I personally have a vested interest here.

Both myself and another developer have emailed Oranth (the manufacturer) many times pleading for the source to the 2 components that we need and have continually been refused them with just the offer of them compiling the source against any linux kernel/config that we want.

The hostility shown from some of the others is born from this attitude as it is not a problem specific to only Oranth, LibreELEC as a project has no commercial interests so it is rather upsetting to everyone involved when things like this happen, we all just want to help the wider community and small things like this prevent us from doing so.

I know there is NDA's with some of the companies that Oranth works with which is perfectly understandable however the kernel is licenced under GPL and even Amlogic release it publicly in the spirit of co-operation with the license conditions. everybody is just tired of the attitudes of GPL-abusing Chinese companies and unfortunately you seem to have born the brunt of this but it is no way personal, if we could get more co-operation from vendors it would be an extremely positive move.

• Hi GDPR-2 thanks for your reply.

Oranth and Tanix are same thing, "Tanix" is an Oranth's registered brand. Here you can see the trademark details

Said that, I am a member of Oranth (or Tanix) from not a long time ago. Until now I had time to do some things like design the case for TX3 Mini and Max or the UI and main fuctions for ALICE UX (of course, always supported by the engineers). Also I am building the community for Tanix, something really hard as we need more people clearly, and as last, I have requested our engineers to port LibreELEC and, when possible, Ubuntu or maybe Armbian (all this trying to fill users requests).

Even I have a good general knowledge about all the areas related to TV BOX, I am not engineer and I am not specialized in a certain area, so it is probably I can not go too deep when talking about some details like a driver source code. I know about how difficult has always been getting certain sources. Even I can give you an example:

Few years ago I have been working (as one of the directors board) for a big chinese company (product: AliYun TV Box). They can sell in the (huge) Chinese market even more than Xiaomi. As I always put an eye on geeks, developers... then I wanted to release a source from Mali (GPU) that I knew developers always required. What about the result? Well, even our (BIG) company did not have access to those sources. My work-mates (directors too) asked directly face to face to the SoC manufacturer and even to Mali. "It is needed a very big reason to release that...". That's the story, some things maybe even we can't have. I can add that I also heard some of those "we can compile for you" or "we can do the changes you need", but coming from higher level than we are.

I will not say your requests are also so "protected" like mine before, I even do not know what you asked for. Just want to say, even you want to be open, sometimes you just can't. I guess some of these providers are trying to protect "their things" from their competitors, so they just do not accept.

Can I try to help? Sure, I can.

Can I help finally? No idea... many things involved.

• I can totally understand the mentality of the vendors not wanting to release certain things because it could potentially give other vendors an advantage.

I think it's great your looking to build the community for Tanix as I for 1 have always preferred the design of Tanix products over some of the others on the market.

Some of the things we are asking for are not really things that Oranth or Tanix should be worried about other vendors copying.

WiFi drivers are generally all open source with the exception of 2 very specific models in use within Tanix products, xs9028 comes to mind and these are absolutely critical for some of our users.

The LCD display driver again is already partly available on Github already but we require the changes that Tanix have made to it.

If Tanix could be encouraged to be more like Khadas who have open sourced everything and work with the community rather than against them then you could guarantee that Tanix would sell a lot more products and developers here would certainly be less hostile.

I assume you are referring the the T820MP3 fbdev Mali binaries that we require for S912 devices earlier in your post as well, if these can be provided then many of us here would be extremely grateful.

• The LCD display driver again is already partly available on Github already but we require the changes that Tanix have made to it.

I assume you are referring the the T820MP3 fbdev Mali binaries that we require for S912 devices earlier in your post as well, if these can be provided then many of us here would be extremely grateful.

I guess you will get more valuable information after releasing the source, but maybe you can find something interesting here:

MEGA

Sorry, it is 4AM here in China and I am at home, so this is all what I have right now. Also, as I said, I do not use to go too deep on the systems (sadly).

Nah... my story with Mali was time ago, maybe S812... I do not remember now.