Posts by rastobil

Did you even try any other method? [HOWTO + FAQ] Install community builds on S905/S905D/S905W/S905X/S912 device (2. ... To boot the system .....)

As for the toothpick method - there are differences too - some have a dedicated reset button on the bottom, some use the audio slot like

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I tried 3 different kodi (original, omnc and ... can't remember) options under android - none of them would run stable (either file stopped after few secs, stuttering, no auto switching etc. etc.). That's the main benefit for me.

Also yeah, on internal memory it boots up a few sec faster and navigation is snappier (we talk about ms here, without professional measurement tools i can't give exact numbers). But I even would use it, if that wouldn't be the case.

But why don't you give it a try? Backup your config, get android running again and test it yourself. Even if you installed to internal memory, getting back doesn't take that much time once you know how to.

1.) U're assuming that? I was wondering how that would work, there is no known image directly for S9** boxes. I guess a proper build image Index of /releases/17.01.4/targets/arm64/generic/ might work, then you create a docker image GitHub - abresas/docker-openwrt-arm: Docker base image for OpenWRT on ARM-based devices..

2. Faster in what aspect? Startup? Besides that I wouldn't think of it being faster but more stable. Well, navigation might be a bit faster.

3. I believe it may be possible, but it wouldn't make any sense, except you want an easy to manage sandboxed version.

- Got LAN working btw, just that one time after boot I wouldn't find the adapter again, though a restart solved it.

- Full 3D files would not be played in 3D, only HSBS/TAB (Like check quoted post - kodi samples - 3D MVC files 1 till 5). //EDIT: Ah, that's what you get comming from RPi, no HW support There are support 3D MVC ISO? | MINIX Forum - Official . So I guess I can use S912 for mostly everything and my RPi for 3D MVC or get an Intel Box Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio EDIT//

- How to share using NFS? There is no etc/exports.

- I'd like to go other round than omicron. In Android a short press on power button -> suspended, long press results in power menu. But here I would not have the option to suspend, only shutdown resp. menu with shutdown/restart/to internal ...

Hey, I did some Test with my box (hope I didn't overlook it) and I am wondering - is it that I did not move to internal Memory (https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/9425-howto-boot-from-sd-card-use-internal-memory-for-data/?pageNo=5#post95212), does everyone get that or ....?

Testfiles can be found at either:

Samples - Official Kodi Wiki

Evaluation of HEVC decoders (SW, Hybrid and HW) - Doom9's Forum

demo-uhd3d.com

4K | 4KSamples - Free Downloadable 4K Sample Content

Xiph.org :: Derf's Test Media Collection

OK

3.Ducks-2160p @50fps-4Mbps.mkv

fitness-trailer-8000.mkv

OK, but small errors

4K-Chimei-inn-60mbps (4ksamples).mp4 --- though some flimmering in very left side starting at 00:25

Beauty_3840x2160_120fps_420_8bit_HEVC_MP4 --- Background flickering

Sintel.2010.4k.mkv --- normally plays fine but when played after 10 Bit file - same half screen stuttering

The World in HDR.mkv --- sometimes sames as Sintel - tough also on stop and restart ("always" from beginning "during tests")

Buggy (10 bit videos):

Into_the_cave_of_wonders_4K_HDR_vignette.mp4

LG Demo DolbyVision Comparison.mkv

sample-Elysium.2013.2160p.mkv

TearsOfSteel_4K_24fps_9500kbps_2aud_9subs.mkv

So 10 Bit videos - if I shut down the system, give it some time, restart again the first file would play fine.

In any other situation, it would cause ~ half of the horizontal screen to be ... idk seems like tearing. You can also see it on the timeframe - skipping back and forth.

------------------

Btw. my LAN adapter would not show up in settings (It's an RTL8211F). Ah i guess that 1gb dtb is needed - now i need to know how to update that afterwards ...

------------------

Sometimes when rewinding - after caching the picture won't come back (resp last decoded is shown).

I am sure s.t. like this in other threads, but may not be available for s912, anyway it's not in this thread. So if anyone wanted to know the difference between internal memory and SD Card / USB HDD - here some insight:

External helpfull links
    HowTo: Linux / UNIX List Just Directories Or Directory Names - nixCraft

https://elinux.org/rpi_sd_cards#sd_card_performance

# SD Card - SanDisk Extreme SDHC UHS-I 32GB class 10 (SDSDX-032G-X46 maybe or s.t. similar)

On Windows with Delink Card Reader I am able to read/write 100/50MB/s, here it changes (and reading is slower - in any test).

(write) LibreELEC:~ # sync; dd if=/dev/zero of=./test.tmp bs=500K count=1024

1024+0 records in

1024+0 records out

524288000 bytes (500.0MB) copied, 15.941096 seconds, 31.4MB/s

(clear) LibreELEC:~ # sync; echo 3 | tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

(read) LibreELEC:~ # sync; time dd if=./test.tmp of=/dev/null bs=500K count=1024

1024+0 records in

1024+0 records out

524288000 bytes (500.0MB) copied, 22.870083 seconds, 21.9MB/s

real 0m 22.87s

user 0m 0.02s

sys 0m 1.32s

# Internal Memory of Beelink GT1-T-D1 3G/32GB/6335/-A (mount -o rw /dev/data /tmp/data)

(write) LibreELEC:~ # sync; dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/data/test.tmp bs=500K count=1024

1024+0 records in

1024+0 records out

524288000 bytes (500.0MB) copied, 2.510985 seconds, 199.1MB/s

(read) LibreELEC:~ # sync; time dd if=/tmp/data/test.tmp of=/dev/null bs=500K count=1024

1024+0 records in

1024+0 records out

524288000 bytes (500.0MB) copied, 3.693659 seconds, 135.4MB/s

real 0m 3.69s

user 0m 0.01s

sys 0m 1.18s

# USB3.0 HDD Samsung HM750LI (mount -o rw /dev/sda1 /tmp/data)

// Tested on both ports ... ~0,5MB/s difference in 1 Test so .. confirmed and negligible - interesting - 1 port is supposed to be usb 2.0 ... not with that speeds.

(write) LibreELEC:~ # sync; dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/data/test.tmp bs=500K count=1024

1024+0 records in

1024+0 records out

524288000 bytes (500.0MB) copied, 9.072689 seconds, 55.1MB/s

(read) LibreELEC:~ # sync; time dd if=/tmp/data/test.tmp of=/dev/null bs=500K count=1024

1024+0 records in

1024+0 records out

524288000 bytes (500.0MB) copied, 14.759751 seconds, 33.9MB/s

real 0m 14.76s

user 0m 0.00s

sys 0m 1.07s

(If you do that, don't forget to delete files and unmount)

Short note - over Gbit LAN using Samba (vs. Win10 Client with Intel NIC connected to the HDD) : It's ~ 20MB/s - R/W

Ah, may I should have mentioned, that I wouldn't make use of Netflix (and Android for that). Or other streaming, generally not a fan of, more the guy having those in the hands and trying to keep things simple/long supported. Legal Blu Ray playback is unaffected by this, right? I also won't make use of HDR for now (but it may should be able to at least SDR fallback play it, though my tv is 10bit, but no official HDR Support, still it looks better than SDR so ... at least no DV required yet). 3D would be nice though, but AFAIK that's not working yet. Considering all that s912 sounds the way to go!? If so, may there is just the open question on dual boot. Are there any devices known to not allow it at all (I wouldn't mind if it's easy or not)?

S912 devices (TX92,MINIX U9 ) doesn't have proper GPU driver (for now) in linux and it may plays videos choppy with subtitles, Vero 4K has its own OS called OSMC not the LE.

there is no hardware acceleration for netflix adaptive streaming available in LE/kodi/addons for now, your h264/265 720/1080/4k content play fine without any problem in s912 based device.

I do question myself the same as in the few prev. questions but those quotes are not clear. So is the problem on s912 just with (netflix) streaming?

Other questions: Are TX92/ U9 the only options, wouldn't any s912 (with GbE) do (except some quality aspects)?

And if someone is able to answer: let's say I would want to run Armbian, Android and Kodi, what's the best solution? Simply multiboot? Vm or docker like anbox? Would LE still be the better solution or use Kodi with intended Linux (are there maybe better drivers available)?

Be aware you may encounter slight 4K HDR flickering with the current S912 LE 8.2.x from kszaq

What about the LE 9 Alpha branch?