Linuxserver.io/Docker. OpenWrt? Multicore S905/X/W; multiple Kodi instances.

• Does LibreElec have multicore support for the S905* based Android Boxes, as there is in AndroidOS?

Also does LibreElec support multiple KODI instances?

Edited once, last by shippy (June 26, 2018 at 1:04 AM).

• chewitt

Thanks for being active as usual 😎

My next, re: S905/X/W Android Box.

1. I noticed a Network Tools add-on package, but couldn't find any info in it.

So can we add OpenWrt to LE?

I would like to support eth, WiFi AP+client mode, 3/4G LTE dongle, some QoS/buffer/ priority management, and multi proxy setup via PAC file.

2. How about a RADIUS type AAA client add-on as well?

Edited once, last by shippy (June 26, 2018 at 7:55 PM).

• Official Post

LibreELEC.tv/package.mk at master Β· LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv Β· GitHub

^ that's what it contains. Devs generally have no objections to adding other binaries to the tools package, but it's up to the people that want something added to test and submit the required/desired changes. As a broad rule we'd also want to focus on things that have a use case beyond one person. I think this is the first post to mention RADIUS in the 7+ years I've been hanging around LE/OE etc.

I'll also pass the general comment that if you want a router/firewall distro .. use a router/firewall distro. LE is neither.

• Thanks again.

So I wanted to clarify: Do I have to submit a package for LE devs' consideration first, or are there steps to install a package myself?

Network Tools looks like a basic package and without a GUI.

• Official Post

You can install Kodi add-ons that contain binary apps (as network-tools does) but there is no apt-get or equivalent in the OS. So you either add things to extend an existing add-on package (and then submit changes to our git repo.. or not) or you create new ones (and submit them to our git repo.. or not). I think the questions you're asking show you're not familiar with how LE is build/packaged, so before you run away with ideas of reconfiguring LE to be OpenWRT go find the "self-build" instructions in the wiki and compile an image. There are no instructions on how to add more packages to the OS, but there is a ton of "prior art" in our git repo. From past experience; if people have the skills and knowledge to succeed in that kind of task .. that's all they need to get started.

• Ok, that self- build link(s) was what I was looking for- I know apt-get etc wouldn't work!

I wasn't able to find the self-build but will look around again πŸ‘ΊπŸ‘ΊπŸ‘Ί

• Here is what might solve my issues of running a Linux package along with LE:

LinuxServer.io docker addons and general docker info

Question:

1. Does anyone know how Openwrt might be added to the repo since it is not listed ( and happens to be a fully supported Linux distro on its own for routers-basic footprint 4-8MB)?

I am assuming S905W arm64 based Android Box is supported !

2. Could anyone comment on how much faster LE is over Android 6.0+ for Kodi 17.6/18?

Is it closer to 30-40% , 100% or 200-300%?

3. Could we dockerize LE itself?

Edited once, last by shippy (July 15, 2018 at 8:14 AM).

• 1.) U're assuming that? I was wondering how that would work, there is no known image directly for S9** boxes. I guess a proper build image Index of /releases/17.01.4/targets/arm64/generic/ might work, then you create a docker image GitHub - abresas/docker-openwrt-arm: Docker base image for OpenWRT on ARM-based devices..

2. Faster in what aspect? Startup? Besides that I wouldn't think of it being faster but more stable. Well, navigation might be a bit faster.

3. I believe it may be possible, but it wouldn't make any sense, except you want an easy to manage sandboxed version.

• 1.) U're assuming that? I was wondering how that would work, there is no known image directly for S9** boxes. I guess a proper build image Index of /releases/17.01.4/targets/arm64/generic/ might work, then you create a docker image GitHub - abresas/docker-openwrt-arm: Docker base image for OpenWRT on ARM-based devices..

2. Faster in what aspect? Startup? Besides that I wouldn't think of it being faster but more stable. Well, navigation might be a bit faster.

3. I believe it may be possible, but it wouldn't make any sense, except you want an easy to manage sandboxed version.

Thanks! Will look at those builds.

Re: LE vs Android performance, what is the real benefit of LE- I keep reading that LE boots much faster and is more quicker in general, but never saw any quantification I asked for.

Your views?

The point is that Android comes preloaded and certainly there are tons of apps you cannot find under LE. So if there isn't a big performance gap maybe I should stick to Android and not have to go through all kinds of addons installation hassle !

• I tried 3 different kodi (original, omnc and ... can't remember) options under android - none of them would run stable (either file stopped after few secs, stuttering, no auto switching etc. etc.). That's the main benefit for me.

Also yeah, on internal memory it boots up a few sec faster and navigation is snappier (we talk about ms here, without professional measurement tools i can't give exact numbers). But I even would use it, if that wouldn't be the case.

But why don't you give it a try? Backup your config, get android running again and test it yourself. Even if you installed to internal memory, getting back doesn't take that much time once you know how to.

• I tried 3 different kodi (original, omnc and ... can't remember) options under android - none of them would run stable (either file stopped after few secs, stuttering, no auto switching etc. etc.). That's the main benefit for me.

Also yeah, on internal memory it boots up a few sec faster and navigation is snappier (we talk about ms here, without professional measurement tools i can't give exact numbers). But I even would use it, if that wouldn't be the case.

But why don't you give it a try? Backup your config, get android running again and test it yourself. Even if you installed to internal memory, getting back doesn't take that much time once you know how to.

Will try...just getting "enough" info first 😈😈

Interesting to hear Kodi isn't stable on Android/OSMC!

OSMC has a package manager so easier than going the Docker route...

Were you running OSMC on RPi or generic S905 (not just Vero)? There seems a hack quoted at Feaktab for generic S905 from Hungary if you google " OSMC S905" from April 2018.

Was Kodi stable at 720p or below?

Anyway I asked Docker after reading:

raspberry-pi-home-server.html

Does Docker require a lot of memory to run and is slow compared with native install? Hopefully Docker with minimal OS and couple apps running is much faster than VMs.

• I'm not to sure what you are trying to accomplish.

You started the original Thread but you have now decided to venture in a multitude of topics based on this thread. (Bla bla bla)

Please delineate your questions based on the issues you have.

I wanted to keep all my questions in one thread based on a single main concern:

Run LE+ Openwrt (for net mgmt) on a regular S905* Android Box in an efficient manner.

Apart, I think I got misdirected earlier- the solution isn't necessarily to use a full blown OS (that always is Plan B), but to avoid build complication by using Docker. I wish I had been pointed in this direction earlier !

Plan B as pointed above isn't that great given instability.