Posts by pajtaz

I've got a strange problem. Travel Channel HD does not play in Kodi. Well, it seems to start playback but there is no sound or video. In Tvheadend, there are no errors. Same channels plays using Tvheadend's web interface in VLC and also on the TvhClient app on the iPhone.

I have this problem with both Kodi 16.1 and Kodi 17, first one running on Cubox and second one on Windows 7. So it seems to be a Kodi problem. Since the other players (VLC and TvhClient) use a different profile in Tvheadend (MPEG-TS) instead of HTSP for Kodi, maybe it is related to HTSP playback of this channel.

I can include Kodi logs if needed but I first want to hear what people think. Like I said, The problem occurs on two different versions of Kodi and platforms while everything else is the same. And so far this is the only channel this occurs. All other channels play fine on all platforms.

Thank you, if a low power device such as the Odroid XU4 is capable of doing 4 (HD) channels (including descrambling) simultaneously then I'm hopeful my new HTPC should be capable of that as well. Oh and I'm on Ziggo as well btw :).

I'm wondering something though: how does Tvheadend communicate with Oscam? Assuming I got my reader properly set up in Oscam, then what do I need to configure in Oscam for Tvheadend to reach and talk to Oscam? And after that, how do I configure Tvheadend so it can find my Oscam server, I have to add Oscam as my CI right but what protocol and settings do I use for that? I don't have the TV hardware yet so I can't try stuff myself yet.

Btw, USB port speed shouldn't be an issue with the HDHomeRun right? That's only the case when you use USB tuners.

Performance-wise, the problem starts when you want to watch TV using the same device that does the tuning, descrambling, recording, and timeshifting. Odroid XU4 has 8 cores and that is why it is able to easily do 4 HD channels recording, descrambling and tuning. However I use a separate computer (Cubox) to watch TV.

For setting up Tvheadend and Oscam, here is the guide I followed: Hardware.Info Nederland

I don't speak Dutch but I was able to follow the guide. If you're Dutch, then this would be easier for you. In short, you create 4 users in Oscam and 4 users in Tvheadend, one for each of the tuners. Just read the guide and you will see which protocol and how. Let me know if you don't understand something and I will help you. My only problem now is getting Oscam to automatically update card entitlements. Currently once per month on 1st day of the month I have to update the entitlements so I can continue watching encrypted channels.

USB port speed is only a concern if you have a USB tuner.

I'm wondering if descrambling encrypted channels on a Amlogic S905X box would work (performance-wise) for one or more channels simultaneously? I'm interested in buying an HDHomeRun network tuner for my DVB-C subscription (network tuner with 4 built in tuners).

I've seen a YouTube video of a user running Tvheadend with an HDHomeRun on a S905X already so I assume the HDHomeRun drivers are good, but he showed FTA (free to air) channels only, and as I hardly have any FTA channels I would like to do descrambling as well. Also, I installed Tvheadend and OSCam (through which I should be able to descramble the channels) on the box from the LibreELEC repository and I can reach their webinterfaces just fine, only I can't test anything yet without the tuner.

I don't know how this will work performance-wise on S905X. I have the same tuner and DVB-C that has almost all encrypted channels (Ziggo cable TV in Netherlands). I use Tvheadend with Oscam and Smartcard reader attached to USB port with smartcard from Ziggo inserted.

However, my setup is as follows: LibreELEC on my Cubox-i4x4 but everything else (Tvheadend, Oscam, Smartcard reader) on Odroid XU4 running Debian Jessie headless server (no desktop, only command line). This works perfectly performance-wise. I am able to watch/record 4 channels at the same time, encrypted or free, using HDHomeRun network tuner.

I have tested running Tvheadend and Oscam plus Smartcard reader and USB tuner on my Cubox before. This was not feasible. Cubox could not tune to channels, decrypt, and have smooth TV all at the same time. I didn't even attempt timeshifting or recording because Cubox could definitely not handle it.

It is entirely possible that if you have a powerful enough of a machine that you could run everything on one machine. I chose to continue using Cubox for my LibreELEC but Odroid for PVR. I don't think the descrambling using Oscam and Smartcard reader itself uses a lot of performance. The main limitation there would be USB port speed. I think the limitation is Tvheadend tuning of channels PLUS your machine displaying live TV, all on one machine.

I read lots of forum posts on Tvheadend and Kodi. I think the problem is Tvheadend backend version. It seems to be a problem with HEVC streams in Kodi but supposedly root cause is Tvheadend HTSP plugin. Supposedly this is fixed in Tvheadend 4.2. You said you are running Tvheadend 4.0.8 version. That is Tvheadend 4.0. You will need to install Tvheadend 4.2. I reached this conclusion by reading this forum post: Kodi forum post

Tvheadend 4.2 is not actually going to have version number starting with "4.2". It will have a version number like "4.1." or "4.1-".

Are you running the Tvheadend backend (on your RPi) by installing LibreELEC on the RPi then installing the PVR backend addon? Or are you running Tvheadend backend (on your RPi) on some Linux version? If you are running LibreELEC addon, you should have the 4.2 Tvheadend available to install over the 4.0. If you are running Linux then you should be able to find the latest Tvheadend in the apt repository. If not then you might have to compile it yourself. It's not THAT hard but you will probably run into minor compilation problems, which will be fixed through trial and error or reading on Internet.

Mirko,

Kodi is "playing" the stream even though it is not showing. I have seen this happen with some test builds of LibreELEC. Kodi has actually sent the command to the backend to play the stream but something is causing Kodi not to display it.

To make sure it is a Kodi problem, you can open up a browser on your desktop and go to the web interface of Tvheadend. Make sure you see the live Tvheadend log which can be seen if you click on the two up arrows on the bottom right of the Tvheadend interface. The log is only available if you log in as an admin user to the Tvheadend web interface.

Once you can see the log, run Kodi and try to play a channel. You should see a one line entry in the log that shows Kodi opening up a stream. If there are no other log lines displayed after that one and no errors, then the problem is with Kodi.

I wonder if it is a user access problem like some people have. Let's see what happens in the Tvheadend log. If you can report back after you do this, then we can narrow down the problem.

Marcus,

I am almost positive you have problems with admin user settings. The constant login loop is a problem if you do not have necessary rights. Also, sometimes clearing the cache helps but if after that you are still having problems with login loops then it is your user settings.

2) If you are playing recordings from Tvheadend in VLC player on Android phone, it does not allow forwarding (or going back). It is a limitation of the VLC on Android with these streams. I have the same problem. Maybe it can be fixed using a different format for recording. I only tried with TS so I don't know if it will work with MKV.
    3) I do not have a problem with playback in Firefox. I use VLC and if I go to Configuration -> Channel / EPG then click play on any channel, I can play the stream without any login problems. I logged in as the admin user I created.
    4) There is definitely a "super admin". I am not sure what it is for Tvheadend in LibreELEC. I created one when I compiled my own Tvheadend. I had to run configuration command that allowed me to create username and password for this user. With this user you can do everything and there should never be any problems with login loops.
    5) Attached is the screenshot of my admin user settings.

Yes, the playback from web interface works for me without a problem.

So, in order to fix your issue with login loops, you must have your admin user configured correctly. Take a look at my screenshot. It is not only important to have the correct check boxes but also that all other settings related to what is allowed for user to do are correctly set. Play with those settings until you get no more login loops. Also, see if you can find out what the super user name and password are. Check the folder I mentioned in my previous post.

I'm not sure what the detailed nature of your issue is. I use Tvheadend with a NAS mounted to a folder. I never had any problems with the list of recordings. I have Tvheadend machine connected to one router and the NAS is connected to a different router, which is then connected to the Tvheadend router. So I'm recording over the network. I never had any issues with the recordings list, even when router to which NAS is connected had issues.

My recommendation would be to use Tvheadend.

Hey, are you still having problems? I have been using Tvheadend for a while now and maybe I could help. First thing, please make sure you have Expert settings showing in Tvheadend web interface. This is under Configuration, General, Base, fourth line says "User interface level:", in the drop down box it should be "Expert". Once you make sure this is selected then let's see if I can help you.

First, for the login loops, this is most likely to related to the user access tab. There should be a superuser (master admin user). I think I created mine when building/compiling Tvheadend or maybe I created one during the initial setup. I can't remember but this user does not show up in the list of users so you will not see its username. Anyway, you should always be able to log in with this username and password, no matter what the user access tab has listed in terms of users. This username and password is located in /tvheadend/superuser folder on your LibreELEC machine (check in .kodi/addons/service.tvheadend42 or something like that).

Second, for the login loops, once you log in with the superuser, make sure your tvhadmin user is correctly set up with permissions and allowed IP addresses. I can send you screenshots of my settings if you are still having problems. Make sure Enable, Admin, Web interface, are all checked in the admin user Edit Access Entry dialog.

Frans,

I compiled LibreELEC 8.0.0 with vpeter's patch to fix the deinterlacing so only one method needs to be chosen for all of my channels. I have been testing it since last night. So far it seems that live TV is ok. Switching channels is ok. Occasionally there is a problem with a channel, one channel started then froze then stopped and went back to home screen after about 10 seconds. That happened only once.

So I am running the 8.0.0 compiled with kernel 3.14 and vpeter's patch for deinterlacing. Only changes I made was that I made the advancedsettings.xml file and set up cache options. Other thing I did was go to Tvheadend HTSP Client addon settings and changed the Response Timeout from 5 seconds to 10 seconds.

My wife is testing it now. She tells me that live TV is still ok but there are occasionally freezes during playback of recordings. This is strange since recordings should be more "stable" than live TV. Besides that she has not had any other problems.

Hopefully this helps. I can provide you my image if you want to test it.

Can you post a screenshot of the Timeshift menu?

It sounds like the "On-demand (no first rewind)" is checked in the Timeshift settings. This needs to be un-checked for you to be able to also rewind. If this is checked, timeshift will only start storing data after you hit Pause for the first time.

I am using a different Tvheadend and I have three sets of settings: Basic, Advanced, and Expert. The setting for "On-demand" is in the Expert settings.

I have a Cubox-i4x4 running LibreELEC. When I tried attaching a USB tuner and using tvheadend in LibreELEC on the Cubox, my playback was also sluggish. It was not watchable. Tvheadend itself was perfect but Cubox could not keep up with doing the tuning and the playback.

So I bought an Odroid XU4 and installed a server Linux image without graphics (Debian Jessie) and then compiled and installed Tvheadend on that machine. I have a network tuner that is located on the same router as Tvheadend machine. Now my Cubox works perfectly with live TV and I have no playback issues. I also use time shifting and recording.

My point is that maybe your machine can't handle both tuning and playback at the same time. Tvheadend is great but if the machine doesn't have the processing power then your playback will be sluggish. My suggestion is to still use Tvheadend as the backend but move it to a separate machine.