Posts by pajtaz

vpeter, I was trying to build LibreELEC 8.0 (git checkout libreelec-8.0) with your decoder fix patch. It was running last night and it failed soon after starting the kodi build. There were no obvious error messages and it failed in similar way as above. I had no time this morning before work to read the output but I cleaned kodi then started ONLY kodi build and it failed in the same way after about 10-15 seconds. So I think it's the PATH problem.

I finally found out that my PATH was too large - it looks like there's some limitation around 256 bytes in cmake(??) during invokation of external commands.
    After removing the multipe defined JAVA path fragments and therefore shrinking the PATH size the build worked without further problems.

How did you remove the JAVA path fragments? I seem to have the same problem while building latest LibreELEC 8.0. Similar error comes up soon after Kodi starts building, maybe 15 seconds after start of build, the build of Kodi stops with similar/same error.

I will test once I get home (at work now).

EDIT: Ok, so I tested it. Dude! You did it! This is what I needed to fix all of my problems with Kodi. As long as the channel switching is ok in 8.0.0, this fix is what I needed to switch over. Of course, I still need to transfer all of my settings, addons, lircd stuff but I can test that later.

It seems like a such a simple fix in the patch you provided, I'm surprised nobody else fixed this even back in 7.0.2.

Just to clarify, what your fix did was make all of my HD channels use "Bob" as the deinterlace method and all of the channels looked perfect. The "Auto Select" defaults to a different method other than "Bob" and that is the only thing that I would change in the future.

One final question: if I choose "Bob" as the deinterlace method and make it apply for all media, will the deinterlacing be turned off if the input does not need deinterlacing? In order not to have to change the deinterlace method to "Bob" for each channel and each recording, I intend to just choose "Bob" and then make that the default. However, what if I am watching internet stream, such as from YouTube? Will the "Bob" be applied to YouTube also or does the deinterlace method only get applied if the input is detected to be interlaced?

I'm downloading it now and will test it on live TV.
    [hr]
    Ok, I tested it. The "Bob (inverted)" is available and it works as it should on the channels that need it. So for example, BBC One HD looks crappy with Bob but looks perfect with Bob (inverted).

Can you let me download the patch you made? I built 8.0.0 yesterday and I was about to do what you did. Now you already accomplished it so ... if you don't mind sharing your work.

On Kodi forum FernetMenta suggested I fix the decoder for imx6. Meaning, he is the one who removed Bob (inverted) and Weave (inverted) from Kodi 17 (I found a pull he made where this was done). He believe the decoder should be able to always know whether to invert or not. I don't know how to do this but he pointed me in the place in the code where I can start. So if you provide me with this patch, this will be a "temporary" fix for me. I would prefer that this deinterlacing method issue is fixed such that there is no reason to select between Bob and Bob (inverted). What do you think?

I am willing to test an image. I would prefer to test an image of LibreELEC 8.0.0 with 3.14 kernel.

In order to give you a sample for Bob (inverted), I need to record something from one of the channels that requires it. Let me see if I can record something remotely and put it on my Google Drive.

I only use "Bob". So only "Bob" should be inverted. Half the channels work well with "Bob" (example, NPO 1 HD, NPO 2 HD) and other half work well with "Bob (inverted)" (example, RTL 4 HD, BBC One HD).
    [hr]
    Here is a link to a sample recorded from BBC One HD: Bargain Hunt.ts - Google Drive

I used latest Tvheadend Client addon available from LibreELEC repository. Basically, update function in LibreELEC.

For Tvheadend Backend, I use another machine that runs Debian Jessie Linux server. So if you are running the backend in LibreELEC on one of your Cuboxes then I guess you just update but I do not believe the backend is the cause of the problem (at least not for me since backend works correctly, it is Kodi the one with the problem of tuning channels).

For deinterlacing, from doing my own testing, you will need both Bob and Bob (inverted). Whatever Kodi does to perform deinterlacing, it does not work perfectly for imx6 hardware (Cubox). Seems that Kodi cannot distinguish between needing Bob or Bob (inverted) automatically so I have to select the appropriate method for each channel individually. This is only for HD channels, for SD channels "Auto" is ok. I have Ziggo cable in Netherlands and for channels like BBC One HD I need Bob (inverted). Without inverted the deinterlacing is not correct.

FransAlmere,

I installed 8.0 from scratch. I had problems changing channels on the first boot. After I rebooted, I did not get the problem with changing channels. I made sure the latest Tvheadend PVR client addon was installed and I rebooted a few times. I did not test it extensively so I do not know if the problem is fully resolved but it looked like it was ok. Before rebooting, I also did the same as you: tried different audio settings, video playback settings, etc. I will also say that I tried some other versions like 7.95.2 and 7.90.005 and also had problems with changing channels but those were not fixed after reboot. Only 8.0 seems to work after reboot.

As for deinterlacing, what I found out by searching Kodi forums and Kodi code updates was that Bob (inverted) deinterlacing method was removed from code. I asked why but nobody answered. For my TV, I need both Bob and Bob (inverted). I asked how I can get the Bob (inverted) again and nobody answered. I will try to do it myself in the next few days. If I manage to do it, I will post the patch here. Or if you cannot compile yourself, I can make an image for you to try.

So I did more testing with deinterlacing. "Bob" works great on some channels. However on some channels no method is perfect. Comparing to 7.0.2, on those channels method "Double rate (inverted)" made the picture properly deinterlaced.

So for me to switch to 8.0.0 I need the equivalent of "Double rate (inverted)" method. I'm assuming that would be "Bob (inverted)" but that method does not exist. How do I get that method? Can I make my own build? It should be possible if the method existed in 7.0.2.

Here is the link to a recorded tvheadend stream:

Manchester United - Bournemouth.ts - Google Drive

So, I rebooted a few times, and continued testing switching channels. Seems like all is ok now. I tried switching channels and now I can actually switch.

Also, seems like deinterlacing is ok. I have to switch from Auto to Bob on all the channels I tested so far. Otherwise, deinterlacing is not good or not turned on.

Let me know what you think.

Vpeter,

I know that v7 is Jarvis and v8 is Krypton. I am hoping someone can explain and/or fix the live TV issues in v8 since I will not/cannot use v8 until these two issues are resolved. I just don't understand what exactly changed in Krypton or LibreELEC 8 that completely broke live TV.

Hello,

I have been testing every single build since 7.0.2 and on every single build I have the same problem. I was expecting the issue to be fixed in LibreELEC 8.0.0 but the same issue is still there.

I am using Tvheadend as client and Tvheadend 4.2 as PVR backend. I have a Cubox-i4x4 running kernel version 3.14 of LibreELEC. On the 7.0.2 version (with kernel 3.14) live TV is perfect. Channels tune with little delay, picture is perfect, audio is perfect, deinterlacing is perfect. In the issues below I have the EXACT same hardware.

On LibreELEC 8.0.0 and all builds from 7.90.001 until 7.95.3, live TV is basically unusable. I started with clean installations so the issue is not with upgrading. I set up Tvheadend in the same way, all other settings for playback and system same as 7.0.2. Once I go to TV, I tune to any channel and channel plays after a bit of buffering (longer than 7.0.2 but reasonable). Then I switch to another channel and sometimes it switches ok with little delay. But once I try to switch again (second time) or even sometimes just switching the first time, the buffering starts, goes to 100% really slowly (10 seconds), nothing happens, buffering starts again to 100%, nothing happens, and so on. I have to stop playback. Then I try it again and same thing happens after maximum of two channel switches.

I played with audio settings, video settings, deinterlace settings, etc. but nothing helps. I want to mention that on Tvheadend side, there are no errors so the issue is with Kodi. Something changed drastically from 7.0.2 that makes watching live TV unusable on my Cubox. I am not sure if anyone else is having the same issue.

Addition to the simple tuning of channels, I have another major problem. That is the missing deinterlace settings of "Double rate (inverted)" which I need for many HD channels to deinterlace correctly. In 7.0.2 I have four deinterlace methods and the ones that work are "Double rate" and "Double rate (inverted)". In every version since 7.0.2, those are missing but they are replaced with "Bob", "Bob (half)", "IMX Advanced" and "Low Motion" or something like that. I know that "Bob" method is equal to "Double rate" but "Bob (inverted)" doesn't exist and I need it for proper live TV watching.

Those are my two main issues. I can post logs if anyone wants to see them but for that I have to switch SD cards and annoy my wife. For now, maybe someone can tell me what's wrong with information above.

I have a similar problem with my Cubox-i4x4. I use 1080p 50 Hz as my Kodi resolution. After first power on, it works ok. After I turn off the TV and amplifier once then turn TV back on, the TV detects 720p resolution for some reason, even though Kodi/Cubox is still outputting 1080p. To fix the problem, I have to go to System settings, Video section, and change resolution or refresh rate then change it back. TV then detects the correct resolution.

Cubox is connected to amplifier by HDMI which outputs to TV over HDMI.

Last night I made a change to settings that may have fixed this problem for me. I need to test it more to be sure. In Settings->System->Input devices->Peripherals, I have two options: CEC Adapter and generic_video,hdmi_video. When I click on the second option, it brings up a menu with only one option: Detect hotplug events. Up to this point, this setting was enabled. I disabled it last night and so far after several on/off cycles of the TV and amplifier, the correct resolution is detected by the TV and outputted by Kodi.

See if that works. You can also try playing with CEC Adapter settings and the setting that updates available video resolutions (forgot where this is).

Ok, I installed 7.95.3 with kernel 3.14 on my Cubox-i4x4. Unfortunately, I still have the same three issues with live TV:

• Channels take a much longer time to tune. It is "buffering" for a long time even though exact same backend tunes immediately with 7.0.2.
    • Every two-three channel switches and sometimes even just switching from one channel to next, the buffering shows up and eventually nothing happens. The current channel stops playing and the channel I switched to does not play. I have to stop and play again live TV every time.
    • Deinterlacing method of "Double rate (inverted)" is not available so many channels that I watch that require that method do not look perfectly smooth. Meaning, only four methods are available (Advanced, Advanced (half), Bob, Bob (half)) but none of them are equal to "Double rate (inverted)" like the one I have in 7.0.2 version. This makes the channels that require that method still show at 25 fps. Example, BBC One HD and BBC Two HD.

I was hoping that the boot issue for Cubox would be fixed and then I can test the tuning and deinterlacing. I was hoping the newest kernel would "fix" these issues.

That's my feedback. By the way, all three issue occur in every single update since 7.0.2 I have tried. Then again, every single update since 7.0.2 had to use the 3.14 kernel. So if anyone knows how to fix these issues, please let me know.

All, I just wanted to confirm that the released 7.95.3 did not fix the boot problem with my Cubox-i4x4. I was hoping this was finally fixed but I guess something went wrong (as vpeter suggested).

I will be trying the 7.95.3 with kernel 3.14 version later this week. I have been staying away from any updates since 7.0.2 because none of them worked well for live TV for me. I am hoping to take advantage of all of the improvements since 7.0.2.

Hello,

I am running LibreELEC 7.0.2 with 3.14 kernel on Cubox-i4x4. I watch live TV and need to use deinterlacing for all HD 1080i channels. I have five available options for deinterlacing methods: Auto, IMX - Low Motion, IMX - Double rate (inverted), IMX - Double rate, IMX - Fast motion. I only use "Double rate" (I'll call it DR) and "Double rate (inverted)" (I'll call it DR(i)) - some channels use DR and some use DR(i).

Now I know by watching TV through Kodi that deinterlace method Auto = DR. Meaning, if the method is left as Auto, the selected method ALWAYS is DR. The Auto setting never uses any other deinterlace method. What this means for me is that I have to go channel by channel and find out which channels need the DR(i) and change the method for each channel. Then for any recording from those channels I have to change the method to DR(i) first time I play the recording.

What has to change in order for the Auto setting actually selects the best deinterlace method? Is there something I can do by modifying the code and rebuilding so the Auto setting always works correctly? Can anyone point me where to look in the code to do this (is possible) and what to look for in the channel information to see what determines which method should be used?

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: Since vpeter made a patch for LibreELEC 8.0.0 that fixes deinterlacing so both normal and inverted method work with the same selected deinterlace method, this issue (for me at least) is resolved. I will be switching to LibreELEC 8.0.0 with vpeter's fix.