Installing LE 8 from @demitris onto Minix Neo x8h plus

• This tutorial guides you on my experience of flashing LE 8.0.2 onto a Minix Neo X8-h Plus onto NAND using the toothpick method. Thanks to Arcee

Caveat: This will install LE to Nand so obviously you will loose your Android OS and any apps that go with it. Power OFF on the remote works. Power ON on the remote does not work. The only way to power on again is to pull the power cable from the back and reinsert then press the power button on the box. The menu key on the remote may be mapped to enable disable the mouse. There is no LibreELEC logo during boot up so you may think that nothing is working, IT IS SO LEAVE IT ALONE.

To install OpenElec and LibreELEC on your X8-H Plus, follow this procedure:

Preparing the SD card

1. Download Minitool Partition Wizard from here: Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

2. Format your SD Card with Minitool Partition Wizard in FAT32 format

3. Rightclick the USB partition in Minitool Partition Wizard, and under Modify, selected Change Partition Type ID

4. Select 0x81 Minix/Linux and click OK

5. Then click Apply on the top left (don't forget this, as Minitool Partition Wizard doesn't apply immediately)

6. Now download the OpenElec 6.0.1 Surkovalex build from here:OpenELEC-Amlogic.arm-X8HP-6.0.1.zip

7. Unzip the three files in this ZIP file to your formatted SD card.

Flashing OpenElec to NAND (Carry out at your own risk)

8. Turn off your Minix X8-H completely and insert the SD card in the side slot.

9. Then with a paperclip press the little reset button on the back of your device and keep it pressed while turning on the device. When you see the Minix logo appear, release the paperclip from the reset button and wait. I had to do this process twice on one box and 3 times on another because the Roboot stopped responding.

10.This gives you OpenElec 6.0.
    If the remote doesn’t work then there is a remote.conf [attach=2014]. There is also an edited keymaps file which goes in the userdata folder if you need the.

Updating to LE 8.0.2 (Krypton 17.4)

11. All you have to do is make sure hidden files and allow rename and deletion of files are both enabled in SYSTEM / Appearance.

12. Then add a new source and navigate to root filesystem / storage / .update and add it as a source.

If you need to add the remote.conf file than add the source to root filesystem / storage / .config and reboot

13. After that download this file LibreELEC-S8X2.arm-8.2.RC3-X8H-PLUS.tar to usb and copy it to the .update folder

14. Next reboot. YOU WILL HAVE A BLACK SCREEN FOR 5 MINS. DO NOT TURN OFF.

15. When it reboots you will have LE 8.0.2 installed to nand.

• Yes both wifi 5g and 2.4g and LAN work. Only issues are no boot logo at startup and no power on from remote. Another thing missing that would be great is suspend. This was an option in OE 6.0.1 but missing here.

• Yes both wifi 5g and 2.4g and LAN work. Only issues are no boot logo at startup and no power on from remote. Another thing missing that would be great is suspend. This was an option in OE 6.0.1 but missing here.

Do you have a link to instructions that would allow me to install from SDCard and keep Android on Nand, if it is possible?

• Who needs Android anyways. I've always installed OpenElec and LibreElec on NAND and never missed anything from Android.

One thing- I'm currently running my Minix X8-H Plus without a TV attached, purely as music streamer for playing my FLAC collection from my NAS.

The build I'm using now is allowing Kodi to start without anything connected to the HDMI port. I just have an optical cable to my DAC.

For controlling Kodi I'm using Kodi Music Remote, which works fantastic.

I'm afraid that by installing another build, I lose the option to have Kodi running without HDMI attached. All other builds I've tried don't have Kodi come up unless a TV is connected (even if it is off). So, can someone try out if with this build, Kodi comes up without TV attached? See if you connect using a remote from your iPad/iPhone.

• It does not. I've just tried and it it NOT comIng up on my system. Although oddly if I just plug the HDMI into the Box with the other end open it brings up LIBREELEC in Samba but I can't connect to it.

• Thanks a lot for checking. That unfortunately means that I'll stick to the version that I have today. It is the LAN1000 version from balbes150 that dates from April this year. The only build ever that boots without HDMI and has web services come up allowing remote control. It makes the perfect audio streamer for the price- I have compared with expensive streamers (NAD, Auralic and the likes) and the quality of the Minix with this build comes so close it is scary.

Kodi Music Remote is really great by the way for those looking for a high quality audio streamer for only a small investment.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Thanks a lot for checking. That unfortunately means that I'll stick to the version that I have today. It is the LAN1000 version from balbes150 that dates from April this year. The only build ever that boots without HDMI and has web services come up allowing remote control. It makes the perfect audio streamer for the price- I have compared with expensive streamers (NAD, Auralic and the likes) and the quality of the Minix with this build comes so close it is scary.

Kodi Music Remote is really great by the way for those looking for a high quality audio streamer for only a small investment.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Is that version 17.3? does it have suspend and a boot logo on that build. The one from @Demitris does not have suspend.

Could you link to the img.gz or .tar that you used I couldnt find it when I looked.

Thanks

• Hi,

Thanks first for this great tutorial

@Demetris thanks for your awesome work. Is it possible to have updates on github so they are easier to download. I have being trying to download the 8.0.2 update from provided link and it is not working.

Any chance we will get 17.5 update soon ?

Thanks again

• Is that version 17.3? does it have suspend and a boot logo on that build. The one from @Demitris does not have suspend.

Could you link to the img.gz or .tar that you used I couldnt find it when I looked.

Thanks

Yes that's version 17.3 indeed. I got it here:

Yandex.Disk

It's the S812 LAN1000 .tar in there that I'm using and it is flawless.

I just have the Minix in an inaccessible place, leaving it always an. A 10m long optical SPDIF wire goes through the DAC in my bedroom so it is running my bedside rig. Since no HDMI connected anyhow, there's no need to suspend. The Minix with only optical connected is hardly using any power even if always left on.

**EDIT**

I'm actually not sure if it is that build. Something tells me it was the June version but it is no longer on-line.

If the mentioned version doesn't work for you, just PM me and I'll send it to you.

• Legality is a concept associated with the local laws of a specific country, which is a bit vague for a global internet-based project. Thus we never refer to add-ons as legal/illegal - only whether they are banned by Kodi (and by proxy, LE). To confirm: discussion on AceStream and requests for support from users with AceStream based piracy add-ons installed on their LE box are not welcome in this forum. Users who voluntarily disclose they have AceStream and other pirate crapware installed will be asked to volunteer a Kodi debug log to prove it has been removed from their box before further support is provided.

• With that version im getting no wifi.