Gigabit ethernet

• Morning!

Can anyone advise me what do do here please?

First build Libreelec with a MSI-AM1 motherboard with AMD AM1 cpu and Kodi Krypton 17 is all working very well after I finally found the TVHeadend in the haystack! Very impressed. Top marks to all involved. It works perfectly with a TBS6280 TV card.

Just one problem - I can't seem to get the ethernet adapter to run at 1Gbps. When I SSL in with Putty the ethernet adapter lists it amongst its capabilities so I (assuming openelec and libreelec are the same for this issue) followed the instructions on this wiki page, rebooted and lost ethernet! I did a second reboot while watching the led's on my ethernet switch and during boot the ethernet adapter starts at 100 Mbps and then I assume it tries to set the adapter to 1Gbps, the leds go out and I can't get back in via SSL, samba or web interface. I repeated the whole process another two times after finding and deleting the file I created and stored in .config with the same result. I also installed Libreelec on and old HP RP5700 machine and it it runs at 1Gbps straight out of the box. Oddly I can SSL in but can't samba into that one despite smb being enabled but that's a whole other bag of spanners.

Any ideas anyone?

• If hardware fails to auto-detect port speeds correctly the solution is normally changing cables, hub/switch/router ports or something physical not tweaking software. If you ever need to force a port speed, force it on the switch not the ethernet adapter.

• Thankyou chewitt. You were spot on. I replaced the cable with Cat5E rating and bingo 1Gbps! Then I checked the cable I'd just swapped out and, guess what , it has Cat5E printed on it. It's a cheap one I bought from Amazon a few years ago and it's always only given 100Mbps. Just goes to show cheap doesn't mean it'll do what it says on the tin.