LCD 16x2

• Hi all haveing issues getting lcd 1602 with piggyback board on P3 (4 cables) pin

all fourms and sites use sudo to intall tons of stuff i have loaded xmbc lcd but it fails to connect

has anyone got this working as i would love some assistance

I am kinda a linux noob but in the IT feild so i can follow instructions and figure my way round

PLEASE HELP ME

• Hi all haveing issues getting lcd 1602 with piggyback board on P3 (4 cables) pin

all fourms and sites use sudo to intall tons of stuff i have loaded xmbc lcd but it fails to connect

has anyone got this working as i would love some assistance

I am kinda a linux noob but in the IT feild so i can follow instructions and figure my way round

PLEASE HELP ME

thats the issue cant find instrutions for libre cause the all use sudo commands

[hr]

would be nice if you would post the instructions that you are trying to follow.

thats the issue all instructions for code are sudo commands
    for xmbc the say install xmbcproc and turn lcd on in setting ...not workin

Edited once, last by irishfrog (July 15, 2016 at 12:11 AM).

• The PCB looks like an I2C adapter for hd44780 LCDs/VFDs. I did some tests with one of these (might have been a different one than yours) some 2 years ago on OE and software-wise it worked out of the box with LCDproc - just some config is needed.

Off the top of my head:

• add dtparam=i2c=on to /boot/config.txt to enable the I2C support
    • install the lcdproc addon and configure it to use the HD44780 driver
    • copy /etc/LCDd.conf to /storage/.config/LCDd.conf and change the hd44780 section to use I2C

I found a backup of the LCDd.conf on my HDD, the hd44780 section of it looks like this (you may need to change the port to match the I2C address of your adapter board):

Code
    [hd44780]
    ConnectionType=i2c
    Device=/dev/i2c-1
    Port=0x27
    Backlight=yes
    Size=20x4
    DelayBus=true
    DelayMult=1
    Keypad=no

I remember having to do some electrical modifications to the adapter board (these may or may not apply to your board). IIRC the LCD connector pinout/I2C extender connections were different to what lcdproc expected them to be and I had to modify the board to use 3.3V for I2C (it was built for 5V).

so long,

Hias

• thk that what i was looking for dome commands to try i will try over weekend and give update

Being linux noob i only know the sudo commands and it stumpt me not accepting sudo commands

• sudo gives you root (admin) privileges. In kodi you are already root user, so just ignore the 'sudo' part.

think i must give up i tried all those settings all i got was a flashing backlight

sudo apt-get ....
    get...

is that what u saying

• I have the same setup but i have to use a different driver for HD44780.
    Here are the lcdconf and the driver.
    Look in lcdconf to see the line which indicate what is the location of the driver and change as you want.

When power the Pi the lcd is power on too?
    Do you see a line of squares on the display?

• Please, help me. I see a line of squares on the display. But LCDproc-plugin say`s "Error connect to LCDproc daemon"
    I did everything according to instructions LCD for Raspberry pi (HD44780 via PCF8574 I2C) (openelec) | Raspberry-at-home.com – Your ultimate source of Raspberry Pi tutorials (WiFi, 3G, XBMC, Subtitles, VoD, TVN Player, IPLA, TVP, Squeezeslave, Logitech Media Server, Sickbeard, Webcam, Torrent, DLNA)

I had the device / dev / i2c-1, i2cdetect find`s my display on port 27. As I understand the problem in a lack LCDproc-server, or in a bad config or in a bad driver.

If I see a line of squares on the screen, what does it mean? When I understand what it means, I think I can figure out what's the catch.

Sorry for punctuation, English is not native to me.

Edited once, last by XBOCT (October 10, 2016 at 11:27 PM).

• Hi, friends
    I did the instruction of HiassofT with a little bit of change:
    + in LCDd.conf, I changed the path like this (the driver folder of my Pi): DriverPath=/storage/lcdproc-0.5.7/lcdproc-0.5.7/server/drivers/
    + changed the I2C address: from 27 to 3f (my LCD 16x2 with that address)
    + change LCD size to: 16x2
    the result is:

"Could not read config file: /etc/LCDd.conf
    Critical error while processing settings, abort "

Anybody help on my fault.
    I'm noob on this.
    Thanks a lot,

Edited once, last by sniperht1 (May 14, 2017 at 3:49 AM).

• As far as I remember there have been some changes to lcdproc in LibreELEC since LE8. You could try to put your LCDd.conf into this directory (backup the default file first):
    /storage/.kodi/addons/http://service.lcdd/config/LCDd.conf

Besides this... this should be the correct thread for lcdproc issues: thread-1930.html