Adding a samba share from from a Windows 10 Creators Update machine walkthrough wanted!

• The title says it all, really :)

I installed 8.1.0 on my HTPC, and adding media from drives attached to my router worked flawlessly. However, adding shares from my Win 10 Creators Update machine eludes me!

I've read the release notes about the different SMB version - I just didn't understand it (the shame... :blush:) !

Can anyone please write a simple step by step tutorial on how to do this...?

Big TIA!!

- Erik

Edited once, last by eriksdam (August 24, 2017 at 6:05 AM).

• You cannot "Network browse" to the box unless it has SMB1 active, but you can provide the full \\server\share path in the Kodi GUI and Kodi should connect to the share and prompt for username/password. I personally find it easiest to edit /storage/.kodi/userdata/sources.xml but Windows people tend to have irrational command line phobias.

• Growing up with it didn't make it any easier. It just meant laziness was not an option ;) These days I notice people give up quickly unless there's a youtube-video showing where to click, which really does not teach you anything. End of CLI rant :P

• These days I notice people give up quickly unless there's a youtube-video showing where to click, which really does not teach you anything.

Present company excepted, of course....;)

Thanks for the replies - I'll give it a(nother) shot!

- Erik

• Adding a Samba share via the "Add a network location..." browse option, including adding full credentials, should also work.

That did the trick. I didn't realize I had to to fill in username/password twice: Once to browse to the folder location, and then once more in the Kodi GUI.

Thanks!!

• network browsing is dependent on use of SMB1 and there is no equivalent in the SMB2/3 protocol; blame Microsoft

yeah, I changed that too.

For others with the same issue:

1) check the SMB setting (SMB v1 worked for me)

2) don't forget to add username/password in the "add network location" context menu.

Thanks again for your help!

• Hi guys, Just getting ready to take the update from Windows and do the upgrade to Libreelec. Before I do my question is this, Should I update Windows 10 first or Libreelec? I do not have any passwords setup for my smb? Can I just leave them blank?