Hauppauge Quad tv tuner

• Hi Guys,

Just installed LibreELEC 8.0.2 for 1st time after getting fedup with various issues using win 10 and other mediacenter softwares.

The issue I'm having at present is that my hauppauge quad tv tuner card is not recognized. I've looked on the internet at various places and can't seem to get an answer.

I can't see that the quad tuner card is compatible with libreelec so is it possible to correct this by somehow downloading a linux driver from somewhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really don't want to revert to windows or buy another tuner card. Thanks in advance.

• Hi chewit,

Ok will do my best, It's a hauppauge wintv quadHD tv tuner card, model number 01609 (think)

For watching freeview TV HD(dvb-T and T2) via a coaxial cable

It also fits into a PCIe m/b slot.

Hope that's what you want if not then let me know please with details.

Regards

• Hi edit4ever,

Yes that's the correct model. I'm running LibreELEC v8.0.2 and using the MythTV PVR client v5.0.9.1

It's good to know that the card is recognized.

Regards

• OK - unfortunately I'm not experienced with MythTV - if you'd be interested in Tvheadend - happy to walk you through it! ;)

Otherwise, I'm sure someone else will chime in.

• Hi edit4ever,

I've only ever used one pvr clients actually as I've always had a windows based OS while using kodi or mediaportal. It's always been mediaportal pvr client.

The reason I chose mythtv was it was the only one I could see any visuals off on the internet, and I liked the layout. Never tried tvheadend has it a good visual layout, would be happy to give it a go with your guidance.

Regards

• Tvheadend just provides the information to the kodi pvr - so you can use whatever skin you like. If you like Myth TV - you might want to look at the Titan skin.

To setup tvheadend, It may be easiest to download my tvh2kodi addon - this will let you configure tvheadend from within the kodi interface and get you up and running with the basics pretty quickly.

tvh2kodi addon - configure tvheadend from kodi interface

You do need to install the tvheadend service and pvr client addons from the LE repository first. And disbable the mythtv addon.

Once you install the addons - just run tvh2kodi and to get a basic setup going, run the wizard. That will setup the network and one of the tuners and scan for channels. After that, you can enable the other tuners (in the adpaters section) so you have all four active and available.

• Hi edit4ever,

Thanks a mill for your help, everythings working great now with you expert guidance. I'm managing the different channels now as I don't need all of them as they are repetitive as you know.

Just another question if I may, why use TITAN skin for MythTV.

Regards

• there might be a misunderstanding

You use Kodi as "player" that can easily work with "any" tv server you chose.

Regardless which tv server you choose (vdr, Tvheadend, MediaPortal ...) you have always the same design etc. at Kodi because Kodi has plugins named pvr.hts (Tvheadend) pvr.mythv, pvr.vdr ... that connect to your existing tv server. These plugins gathering all needed information from your tv server and "connect" them into Kodi.

So a popular setup:

HTPC + some DVB/ATSC card + LibreELEC

LibreELEC offers you as plugin a whole tv server (this is basically just some software running at the background).

So you install LE, install Tvheadend 4.2 addon -> go to http://ip-of-your-htpc:9981/ to get a webui where you can scan/sort/edit ... your channels. After that you just install pvr.hts and your channels are available at Kodi.

Tvheadend WebUi

default skin for kodi

• Hi CvH,

Ah, so whatever pvr client I use I'll get the same visuals on a particular skin.. So that visual I said of mythtv was actually a visual of a particular skin and any other pvr client would have looked the same. That is good to know now I understand more, thanks CvH.

Another question if I may, Do the various pvr clients have a varying quality of ota tv displayed as I am using mine on a 4k tv. I ask this as the tvheadend that edit4ever guided me to use is not that sharp in picture quality. Would there be a better one or even a way for improving the quality using tvheadend. I think maybe I might have that wrong as the codecs for the ota tv are built into LE, is that right, so would I get the same result in quality from ant pvr client. So how could I improve the tv quality.

• any other pvr client would have looked the same

yes thats correct

the pvr clients are just redirect the streams, there is no "transcoding/changes" included (just if you enable transcoding at Tvh for some reason)

the pic quality is also independent from the used tuners

so if your picture quality isn't okay it is some setting at kodi or your hw (maybe miss configured settings at tv aka picture improvement settings that mostly create blurry images)

• Hi CvH,

The tv picture is perfect when just using the tv, so I assume it must be a possible setting in LE. Would you kindly point me in the direction for these settings so I can experiment please.

Regards

• What platform are you running Kodi on?

TV Headend, MythTV and VDR backends - unless transcoding has been enabled - will all deliver identical digital bitstreams to Kodi when using a digital TV tuner (Whether DVB-T, ATSC, ISDB-T etc.) There is no process that will impact picture quality if the tuner is receiving an error free broadcast signal.

How Kodi displays the video stream WILL impact picture quality. You need to ensure things like :

Deinterlacing is high quality and properly configured. THis will vary by platform (some Android devices have lousy deinterlacing - or none)

Refresh rate of the output matches that of the broadcast (lots of devices will default to 59.94/60Hz output but if you are watching TV in Europe/Aus/NZ and large parts of Asia, and some bits of South America, you will want 50Hz output)

I configure my Kodi devices to have a default refresh rate of 50Hz (because I live in Europe and the bulk of my viewing is 50Hz Live/Recorded TV, plus DVD and TV Blu-rays - which are all 25p or 50i). If I watch a movie or US TV series then because I have 'Adjust Refresh Rate' enabled (on start/stop) Kodi will switch to 23.976/24.000Hz - or 59.94Hz in some cases - if I watch a non-25/50Hz source.

• Running libreelec v8.0.2 just enough os. changed the refresh rate to 50Hz, can't find 'adjust refresh rate'.

will see how it goes.

I have a 2TB hdd installed from previous setups with the recorded ota tv on it. When I used kodi on windows it would recognize it as it was originally from media portal. Can't seem to get LE to pick it up for the recordings, how do I go about this if this is compatible with LE.

Also can I configure where any recordings are saved in LE.