[8.2.3.1] LibreELEC 8.2 for S905/S905X

• The [Discontinued] info is because Kszaq stopped working on the project? or is it because that branch is stopped or just a mistake?

I will not provide any updates to these builds as I don't have resources (disk, CPU and time) to maintain Krypton and work on Leia at the same time.

• I'll keep looking at it and would appreciate any ideas y'all might have.

I pulled the dtb from the mainline linux build from LibreTech which has the supposedly functional spi overlay, then replaced the one from kszaq with it and was still able to boot.

I had noticed that /proc/device-tree/spicc/ did not reflect any fdt command with &references so I assume they were erroring out.

By comparing the dts source with the decompiled version I was able to replace the references with real values which are then reflected in /proc/device-tree properly.

I'm very confident in the values for cs-gpios, they are defined here and multiple times in the decompiled version, but much less so for pinctrl-0 because there are no other references to &spi_pins and I had to guess.

Code
    fdt set /aliases spi0 /soc/cbus@c1100000/spi@8d80
    fdt set /spicc status okay
    fdt set /spicc pinctrl-0 <0x65>
    fdt set /spicc pinctrl-names default
    fdt set /spicc cs-gpios <0x1d 0x59 0x1>
    fdt mknode /spicc spidev@0
    fdt set /spicc/spidev@0 compatible "linux, spidev"
    fdt set /spicc/spidev@0 reg <0>
    fdt set /spicc/spidev@0 spi-max-frequency <30000000>

This resulted in the following dmesg output:

Code
    [    0.283014@0] spicc c1108d80.spicc: dma_en=0
    [    0.283043@0] spicc c1108d80.spicc: irq = 0x71
    [    0.283053@0] spicc c1108d80.spicc: delay_control=21
    [    0.283063@0] spicc c1108d80.spicc: enhance=0
    [    0.284688@0] spicc c1108d80.spicc: could not find pctldev for node /i2s_platform, deferring probe
    [    0.284703@0] spicc c1108d80.spicc: get pinctrl fail
    [    0.284713@0] spicc c1108d80.spicc: of error=-517
    [    0.284732@0] platform c1108d80.spicc: Driver spicc requests probe deferral

Trying other values of pinctrl-0 results errors referencing other nodes such as this for 0x49:

Code
    [    0.286320@0] spicc c1108d80.spicc: could not find pctldev for node /unifykey/key_4, deferring probe
    [    0.286336@0] spicc c1108d80.spicc: get pinctrl fail
    [    0.286346@0] spicc c1108d80.spicc: of error=-517
    [    0.286364@0] platform c1108d80.spicc: Driver spicc requests probe deferral

The only clue I have for the proper value of &spi_pins is from the compiled source:

I'm pretty sure all that remains is finding the right value for pinctrl-0/&spi_pins.

I'll keep experimenting and with some luck might find it.

Worst case I'll write a script to iterate over a range of values and record all nodes from the error messages.

• Are there news on whether we can update to GDPR-2 's Leia build somehow?

Or will it break stuff and is it adviced anyways to start clean with LE Leia build?

LE 9.0 is a bit of a mess at the moment. I tried it yesterday and ran back to 8.2.

Use a second SD csrd\USB to test it if you want but keep your 8.2 installation.

• I'm still using the same LE version from last April on my M8S II.

No update needed, Even UHD BD plays flawless.

It's installed on internal so I can test new versions on sd or pendrive easily.

• Is it in hyperion.ng new version?

It is in both hyperion and hyperion.ng if you compile it yourself with the right flags enabled.

The binary is included in the hyperion add-on from the LibreELEC repo in kodi which is what I'm testing against for now.

The only issue with hyperion-aml is it doesn't appear to capture the kodi GUI but I haven't looked into it farther than confirming that it grabs video correctly.

I'll keep experimenting and with some luck might find it.

Worst case I'll write a script to iterate over a range of values and record all nodes from the error messages.

My script iterated over the range 0x00 to 0x7A without finding anything that didn't error out.

It appears &spi_pins doesn't have a phandle to find. ;(

Upon further research I found this explanation on Device Tree Mysteries which clarifies the syntax of using the full path instead of a label but fdt doesn't appear to like it as there is no pinctrl-0 node in /proc/device-tree/spicc upon boot when using it.

kszaq Do you have any ideas on where I should focus next?

I feel very close to a solution but also very far away.

I'll probably try getting up and running on the mainline linux build to see if it works there and possibly illuminates the issue on LibreELEC.

Thanks for any/all feedback, support, ideas...

• How can I set the resolution?

I'm running and older projector via HDMI and there seems to be problems with CEC or something.

1080 does not work while 720 works.

My current problem is: Kodi works but Emulationstations chooses a wrong mode. I would like to correct the capabilities to just include 720.

I assume I have to set the default mode via the bootloader?

(Hardware is a Mecool M8S pro +)