LAN only reduced speed on NUC (NUC5CPYH) with LibreELEC

• I got a NUC with LibreELEC 8.0.2, and a couple of month ago, it started to buffer my video played from my NAS. When I looked in to it, I see that the NUC only get about a few MB/s with LAN. (I use gigabit network at home.)

When I try another computer on the same LAN cable I use for the NUC, it get the "full speed".

I contacted Intel to report this, but they say that my nuc doesn't support linux and linux drivers.

I wonder if there is someone else that got a problem like this?

/Söder

• which NUC is it exactly?

could you please ssh in and enter

Code
    ethtool eth0 | pastebinit

It's a NUC5CPYH, with braswell I think.

faBT

Right now, I use the wifi...

EDIT: This is with the LAN cable in, and enabled in LE settings, but still connected to the wifi and with the wifi IP "in use".

cEjX

EDIT2: This is with the wifi disabled, LAN enabled, and on the new LAN IP.

ZOiK

/Söder

Edited once, last by soder (July 2, 2017 at 9:02 PM).

• Code
    Speed: 10Mb/s

That ain't much. :-\

Have you tried another cable anyway, sometimes hardware is 'allergic' to certain cables.

I haven't, since I thought I took care of the cable problem when I tried another computer on the same cable...

But also, it was on 10MB/s even when the cable wasn't in, like if the NUC and the LAN card already was in 10MB/s mode..

Another cable didn't solve the problem btw...

EDIT: Now I'm direct in the AP, connected with a cat6 cable. (bypassed the switch.).

Still 10MB/s.

/Söder

Edited once, last by soder (July 2, 2017 at 9:38 PM).

• I asked my friend, with pretty much the same NUC (NUC5PPYH), but he still runs OpenELEC on it, updated yesterday to the latest.

He got the full 1000MB/s...

AcVH

/Söder

• Today I did some more test. Even when I connect the NUC direct to the main router, I only get 10MB/s.

I've also confirmed that another friend with the exact same NUC, running LE 8.0.x, got 1000MB/s on his NUC.

It must be that my NUC is broken, or that I got some BIOS stuff my friend doesn't have (I've updated my BIOS through the years) OR that my router in some way only thing my NUC should have 10MB/s.

• I also use a NUC5CPYH and have never had a problem getting gigabit speeds on the LAN interface either with OpenELEC in the past or LibreELEC currently.

• So it's possibly a hardware problem. Double-check by running an Ubuntu Live ISO, and see happens with the network speeds.

Great idea. Will try that.

By the way, I've contacted Intel support, and all the first told me was that the NUC didn't had support for Linux. I then told them about my friends NUC, and they asked if I could try my NUC on my friends network, and his NUC on my. Will do that some day.

/Söder

• I'm about booting up the nuc on a Ubuntu 17.x USB stick now. What's the easiest way for me to see what speed the NUC works with on Ubuntu?

Edit: Never mind. I went in to the network settings, and it said I was connected on 10MB/s.

/Söder

• I also booted my Mac up with the same Ubuntu stick, and connected it to the router with cable. It was in 1000Mb/s. Now I'm sure it's the NUC that's broken.

I told the Intel support about the BIOS and if there could be some settings in there that did something with the LAN speed, but they told me it couldn't be that way.

Since the NUC is still under warranty I guess they fix it, even if they're really eager to have me try windows on the NUC first...

/Söder

• I also booted my Mac up with the same Ubuntu stick, and connected it to the router with cable. It was in 1000Mb/s. Now I'm sure it's the NUC that's broken.

I told the Intel support about the BIOS and if there could be some settings in there that did something with the LAN speed, but they told me it couldn't be that way.

Since the NUC is still under warranty I guess they fix it, even if they're really eager to have me try windows on the NUC first...

/Söder

I checked the BIOS on my NUC5CPYH and although there is a 'Configure' option for the LAN controller it only displays some non-diagnostic non-helpful info.

I would suggest flashing (or reflashing) the latest BIOS (0062) and checking with a different cable
    (don't count on the fact that other devices using the same cable claim 1Gbps)
    If BIOS and/or another cable also fails to fix the issue do an RMA (don't bother to check on Windows).

PS BIOS has an option to select the type of OS (Windows, Linux, etc) installed. Although this should only have to do with booting, you never know. Make sure 'Linux' is selected.

• I've tried different cables for the NUC. I've also tried the NUC in different AP's, switches and routers. 10Mb/s no matter how I do. Tested my friends NUC (bought the same time as my own, exact same model, same RAM (different ssd) on my network, and it said 1000Mb/s.

Since I had full speed for my NUC before, and it just one day was broken it's the NUC that's broken, and I got an RMA for it from Intel now.

To bad I don't get a new NUC first (I think) and I must be without it for about 2 weeks.

/Söder