[RESOLVED] S905X Krypton: Frame skips on high bitrate videos

• I just tested 8.0.1k.
    I don't know if you tried to adress this in the build or not - I'm just trying to support.

Anyhow, I had 25 skips within 26 minutes.
    [hr]

I backported the chunksize patches to 'krypton' here, and I have a matching build as well. That should improve throughput a bit, but I haven't tried to do proper comparisons yet. If you think networking is the bottleneck for you, can you give the above a try?

I don't know if it's a bottleneck or not.
    I did include a log in which a skip occurred, but I don't know what the root cause is.
    Can you see that in the log?

Edited once, last by jd17 (May 14, 2017 at 4:51 PM).

• I just copied the movie to a USB3 flash drive to rule out LAN as a root cause.

Again, I started the movie and played it for 28 minutes (8.0.1k).
    I had 7 skips in that time.

This is clearly less than over LAN, so my conclusion would be that NFS has am impact too.
    [hr]

I backported the chunksize patches to 'krypton' here, and I have a matching build as well. That should improve throughput a bit, but I haven't tried to do proper comparisons yet. If you think networking is the bottleneck for you, can you give the above a try?

Can you apply this patch to afl1's build?
    I had significantly less skips in that build, so your patch might just be the edge it needs? :)

Edited once, last by jd17 (May 17, 2017 at 8:59 PM).

• I just copied the movie to a USB3 flash drive to rule out LAN as a root cause.

Again, I started the movie and played it for 28 minutes (8.0.1k).
    I had 7 skips in that time.

This is clearly less than over LAN, so my conclusion would be that NFS has am impact too.
    [hr]

Can you apply this patch to afl1's build?
    I had significantly less skips in that build, so your patch might just be the edge it needs? :)

I realized yesterday that I don't understand how LE patches work and after fixing that I found out the regular builds have 3 out of 4 chunksize patches already. So the big difference between that and the regular build is fq_codel for networking.

Can you give this build a try? Here's the matching source code. That adds the missing chunksize patch and includes PR 12110, PR 12074 and partially LE PR 713.

• Can you give this build a try? Here's the matching source code. That adds the missing chunksize patch and includes PR 12110, PR 12074 and partially LE PR 713.

I will, but it is based on kszaq's build, right?
    So I would compare the performance to 8.0.1k over NFS (25 skips in 26 minutes)?

Can you apply those patches to afl1's build as well?
    thread-2722.html

His 8.0.1j-l already performed quite well over NFS (only 5 skips in 42 minutes).

• I will, but it is based on kszaq's build, right?
    So I would compare the performance to 8.0.1k over NFS (25 skips in 26 minutes)?

Yes, it's based on kszaq's latest sources, which currently match his '8.0.1k' build. '8.0.1k' already has the increased chunksize for nfs, so if there is a difference it would be networking related. But that's on the input side, I don't think problems there lead to frameskips, but I'd love to be proven wrong :)

• I tested your build and played the movie via NFS, as usual.
    It played for 28 minutes, in which 25 frameskips occurred.
    I switched to another HDMI in the beginning and eventually back, this might have triggered a few of those skips.
    However, the 25 skips are in the same ballpark as the regular 8.0.1k, so I think there is no significant improvement.
    It is not close to the 7 skips I had via USB.

My next test will be afl1's latest build via USB.

• After 1h 15min not a single skip played from USB with afl1's 8.0.1k-l, not even from opening PlayerDebug or overlay. :)

This makes me want to test this build via NFS again.
    I only played the file via NFS on 8.0.1j-l (5 skips after 42 minutes).

afl1: were there any changes between 8.0.1j-l and 8.0.1k-l regarding frame skips or network performance?

Edited once, last by jd17 (May 19, 2017 at 6:38 PM).

• After 1h 15min not a single skip played from USB with afl1's 8.0.1k-l, not even from opening PlayerDebug or overlay. :)

This makes me want to test this build via NFS again.
    I only played the file via NFS on 8.0.1j-l (5 skips after 42 minutes).

afl1: were there any changes between 8.0.1j-l and 8.0.1k-l regarding frame skips or network performance?

There are no network performance modifications. I only changed late frame management. After my investigation I realized this procedure is trying skip frames already output from decoder. I relaxed criterion for late frames ( 0.98 -> 1.9). Too much relaxing this value can cause a/v out of sync. I also increased measurement window for VSyncOff (30 frames -> 120 frames) to attenuate value changed and eliminate frame skipping.

• afl1 If I understand correctly these patches are already uploaded to your report, right? I'd like to use them for my next build. :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Movie has been playing via NFS for 1h 12min now, not a single skip! :)
    Things are looking good!

I only changed late frame management. After my investigation I realized this procedure is trying skip frames already output from decoder. I relaxed criterion for late frames ( 0.98 -> 1.9). Too much relaxing this value can cause a/v out of sync. I also increased measurement window for VSyncOff (30 frames -> 120 frames) to attenuate value changed and eliminate frame skipping.

You did apply those changes between j and k?
    So it makes sense that k performs better than j or is it just a coincidence?

• I have nexbox s905x and I installed [8.0.1k] LibreELEC 8.0 builds for KI Plus / KII Pro in nexbox but ok button of my nexbox's remote is not working in nexbox a95x kindly help me to sort out/solve this problem...