mpeg2 in Libreelec generic no picture

• I have 8.0.1 Libreelec generic running on a home brew Intel i5 machine with tvheadend back and front end together with front ends on two raspberry pi3s. The pi3s show recorded files from the back end perfectly but the Intel based machine front end will only show video from hi def files. Standard definition repro. is audio only. I have installed purchased mpeg licences on the pi's. Do I need a licence on the generic installation, if so is it the same as the pi shop licence, if so how do I install it? Otherwise what am I doing wrong?

Sorry if this is very dim, but I have not found any info on this anywhere.

Thanks.

• Licences are only required on the RPi boxes as it is a RPi-hardware specific thing. On Intel machines the CPU is powerful enough to do MPEG software decoding.

Did you check whether the licences on the RPis have actually been accepted and are working?

• Licences are only required on the RPi boxes as it is a RPi-hardware specific thing. On Intel machines the CPU is powerful enough to do MPEG software decoding.

Did you check whether the licences on the RPis have actually been accepted and are working?

Yes the two RPis work correctly, and play any video file called up from the back end on the Intel machine via my local network. But the TV headend front end on the same Intel machine as the back end gives audio only on local mpeg2 files. HD files play video correctly. It appears that the mpeg2 decoder is missing or not enabled. Reloading the software did not help. What to do Now?

Thanks.

• Thanks. What is the preferred method of including the kodi.log?

With regard to the files, no mpeg2 file will show video on my libreelec generic machine. The screen shows the control bar and a still thumbnail only.The same files, accessed via my local network by two raspberry pi 3s running Libreelec, two tablets, a phone and my ubuntu computer ALL play correctly. The generic machine plays HD recordings so it seems that the problem is with the mpeg2 codec. This libreelec install was a fresh download few days ago. This installation has no unapproved additions!

• kodi.log

Kodi log attached.

This appears to cover only the setup sequence. No record I can see of the one successful play of a HD file and the two failed attempts at SD files. Is this the log requested? There are several error warnings in the log, are these significant? No mpeg sample uploaded since any such file however and whenever recorded, gives the same results listed previously.

Thanks.

Edited once, last by postproducer (April 23, 2017 at 9:22 PM).

• Since it seems possible that the mpeg2 error is as a result of a corrupt file that has been carried forward during updates trying to fix the problem, I would like to do a clean installation. I can prepare a USB drive as in the tutorial but my old bios cannot accept a usb drive as a boot device. I need a .ISO for an optical disk. How can achieve this?

thanks

• Start boot the box, wait a few mins for all the tvheadend stuff to settle, demonstrate the problem, then capture the log.

And please use the native "cat /storage/.kodi/temp/kodi.log | paste" function so we don't have to download stuff you attach to posts. It's easier for you, and over cumulative time, considerably less annoying for us.

• Aside from not using paste, (sorry!), that is what I did in the previous post. I restarted the machine, waited for TV headend, played an HD file, successful, played two SD files, failed, rebooted, called up kodi.log. The reboot was intended to ensure the log was saved to temp. Advice?

Thanks.

• If you reboot after the problem comes up, the log, which should contain the error, is overwritten. So we need the kodi.old.log stored at /storage/.kodi/temp/

so please always get us both. Just to be sure:

pastebinit /storage/.kodi/temp/kodi.log

and

pastebinit /storage/.kodi/temp/kodi.old.log

• kodi.log pasted to pastebin.com as "Postproducer Kodi.log". This does include the successful playing of an HD file at 13:13:09.652 and a failed play of an SD file at 13:14:05.226. I have yet to understand Pastebin. The paste is there as a public paste but I do not know how to see it when accessing the site without logging in. I hope you all do!

Thanks.

• More research. I have two computers, one is Intel i5 660 clarkdale running on Asus P7H57D-V and the other an Intel i5 2500 sandy bridge running on Asus P8Z68-V LX. The former is LibreELEC and the second Ubuntu. I prepared a mint drive with a new install of 8.0.1. In the Clarkdale machine, the results as before. moved the drive to the Sandy bridge machine, mpeg files played correctly. So the problem appears to come down to LibreELEC 8.0.1 needs some feature available on the "newer" machine only. I would be interested to know what this could be.

Any final thoughts?.

• For reference, that is not a debug log. That is a regular log:

Code
    19:45:34.731 T:140270887815296  NOTICE: Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level 0.

Regardless, maybe your machine is borked or you've disabled some cores in the bios:

Code
    19:45:34.609 T:140270887815296  NOTICE: Host CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 660 @ 3.33GHz, 1 core available

Edited once, last by doug (April 27, 2017 at 9:34 PM).

• Re Debug, please see 14:23:22.428 : NOTICE: Enable debug logging to GUI setting level 2.

The CPU 660 has two cores, I do not know why LibreElec is only using one. However, even one should be enough. Note that, as said, repro of HD files is fine and requires more processing power than SD.

• Re Debug, please see 14:23:22.428 : NOTICE: Enable debug logging to GUI setting level 2.

The CPU 660 has two cores, I do not know why LibreElec is only using one. However, even one should be enough. Note that, as said, repro of HD files is fine and requires more processing power than SD.

The general steps to create a debug log are:
    Enable debug logging.
    Reboot.
    Recreate the error.
    Upload the log.

Things like omitting the reboot step, several hours elapsing, deleting parts of the log, and playing additional files just makes it harder to see what is going on.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk