[8.2.2.3] LibreELEC 8.2 for S912

• Thank you for the well considered answer.

What I am hearing is that this last build is as good or better than the 905X except for some gui tearing. The one concern is that Amlogic has not yet released the libraries. Is there a known reason for this? Is it a question of time?

All in all, if it's working well I'll get a 912.

Nope, better than S905 is wrong.
    Few knowledgable User reports, with minimal testing does not make LE on an S912 better than LE on S905(x) boxes.
    You have your wishfull thinking hat on there. S905(x) LE boxes have had thousands of more hours testing LE on them than the S912.

So far I have had:
    - 3 lockups, with Kodi rebooting all on its own in less than 24hrs. I was just skipping thru H264 video.
    - What appears to be a dark Graphic User Interface, and dark video playback.
    - Noticeable Graphic User Interface tearing

And I have not even played HDR video yet....there will be more issues for sure.

No idea if actual Open Source Linux GPU drivers will become available for the S912.

Stick with the S905(x) LE platforms if a purchasing new.
    LE S912 experimental only.

Edited once, last by wrxtasy (March 25, 2017 at 12:47 PM).

• Someone already has 912. I tried Kodi all versions, SPMC,FTMC, Plex, Archos etc. All of these programs are developed for many years and I have not found anything miraculous. :)

This experimental version only after several weeks of development plays a sound at least as my old Dune BD Prime. I hope the author will continue "performing miracles".

I have in Estuary NO tearing.

• Significant improvement in the area of KODI hang and restarts with 8.0.1a. Excellent work kszaq!
    Have not experienced complete reboots at anytime with these builds.

Acemax M12N

• LE S912 experimental only.

Yes, it is.
    But why would be not enjoy what we have? :)
    That's what we doing here: experimenting. :)
    I've just watched a movie (34 GB BD iSO) with DTS HD MA audio without a glitch on an H96 Pro.
    My M8S II (LE 012j) cannot play this movie for unknown reason (it can play other BD ISO files) so I've just selected my S912 box (with the latest LE on it) and it just worked.

What I really missing is VP9 playing, but I hope kszaq will do the magic as he did it before many times... :)

This rom deliver true HD & dts HD or transfer it to dts&dolby?

Of course yes, it works from the first release.

Have not experienced complete reboots at anytime with these builds.

Me neither.

Edited once, last by Pelican (March 25, 2017 at 9:30 PM).

• kszaq
    Would it be possible to build the S912 image with a 32 bit userspace like Raybuntu does for some S905 devices?

If so could you build these? Or suggest me how to do it?

Thanks for your great work ;)

• kszaq, thanks again for working on this build. I finally got a chance to test the 8.0.1a build yesterday. I had streaming music on most of the day yesterday and it ran flawlessly. I played some files last night with PleXBMC via ethernet from my laptop and they ran perfectly with no random freezes or reboots. i haven't tried streaming a video yet, but everything else is running really well.

• What I really missing is VP9 playing, but I hope kszaq will do the magic as he did it before many times...

I have only one VP9 sample - "The Curvature of Earth" in 4K downloaded from YouTube - and it plays 100% fine here.

• I use 3Ddownloader, it is free

Code
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/3D-Youtube-Downloader

you can choose a format for download. MP4 is good, webm nothing, I dont know why.

• I have only one VP9 sample - "The Curvature of Earth" in 4K downloaded from YouTube - and it plays 100% fine here.

You mean this: The Curvature of Earth 4K 60FPS - YouTube?
    I've downloaded the VP9 stream but cannot play. It doesn't go to the video screen it stays on the file list and the file name turns green and that's it.
    I've also downloaded the h264 stream from this link and it plays well.
    Could you check these from Samples:
    MEGA
    MEGA
    I checked about 20 other VP9 videos (2160p and 1080p) and none of them working.
    As I see Foolproof has problem with playing VP9 videos too.

Edited once, last by Pelican (March 26, 2017 at 4:54 PM).

• Pelican Both videos play fine here. As I understand you both guys have devices with 3GB RAM? As far as I can tell there is a bug in kernel code that breaks H.265 and VP9 decoding on 3GB devices (mine is with 2GB). The bug is fixed in latest Amlogic kernel but the update has some serious bugs and I'm (slowly) working to fix them.

• Pelican Both videos play fine here. As I understand you both guys have devices with 3GB RAM? As far as I can tell there is a bug in kernel code that breaks H.265 and VP9 decoding on 3GB devices (mine is with 2GB). The bug is fixed in latest Amlogic kernel but the update has some serious bugs and I'm (slowly) working to fix them.

Thank you for the answer.
    Is it possible to use our boxes as 2GB devices? I don't care if I can't use the third GB...
    I tried to start LE with the 2g dtb but stuck at android boot logo...

Edited once, last by Pelican (March 26, 2017 at 7:28 PM).

Thanks for your work.
    But to quote - H265 plays very,very well as MKV, only VP9 no. Android plays VP9 well, f.e. with SPMC.

Example

The file is even Main10 with DTS sounds and PGS subtittles, plays very well.