HDMI out no video

• Hi,

I switched to LibreElec 7.0.1 from OpenElec about a week ago. So far no problems except:

1) computer (Revo RL 80) running LibreElec is off
    2) TV is ON. Selected input is not the HDMI from LibreElec computer
    3) start computer running LibreElec, let it boot
    4) select input HDMI for computer running LibreElec
    -> no video on my TV. In order to get video working, I have to reboot the Elec

With openelec I had a similar issue: the TV had to be ON before starting Elec, but the selected input did not matter. So I guess this is not an issue with the TV...

Is there a way to tell LibreElec to check again for available video out without rebooting, e.g. via shell command or an application on a Android/iOS device? Or maybe a keyboard command?

Thanks in advance...

Edited once, last by muvielaik (June 18, 2016 at 11:26 AM).

• If you want to solve this you could make a custom xorg.conf and use edid.bin.
    Configuring a Custom xorg.conf - OpenELEC

The reason for no video showing is because xorg asks the tv what outputs are available at boot. So if there is nothing connected/powered on, it will not detect it. With this config you tell it what output to use, and what resolution etc. So afterwards you can power on/off your htpc regardless of what the tv is doing.

This is not as much of a bug as it's a feature.

Edited once, last by newphreak (June 18, 2016 at 12:51 PM).

• If you want to solve this you could make a custom xorg.conf and use edid.bin.
    Configuring a Custom xorg.conf - OpenELEC

The reason for no video showing is because xorg asks the tv what outputs are available at boot. So if there is nothing connected/powered on, it will not detect it. With this config you tell it what output to use, and what resolution etc. So afterwards you can power on/off your htpc regardless of what the tv is doing.

This is not as much of a bug as it's a feature.

I am not sure if it has anything to do, but have noticed that if in the no HDMI out situation I start Chromium, the screen config is "extend" mode. That is, I can move dl the mouse to the right beyond Chromium screen and it shows on a black background of the external TV.

Could this be that cause, the driver defaulting to extend instead of Clone?

I am using a ThinkPad t440p with HD4000 on board video card.

• newphreak, thank you for the explanation. i think i understand, but i am not happy with this. it reminds me of early windows versions, where you had to reboot in order to get a mouse working :(
    ...and it did work better in openelec: if tv was on, elec did find it, no matter if hdmi was selected.

maybe it is possible to restart xorg, i'll try

Edited once, last by muvielaik (June 26, 2016 at 9:10 AM).

• newphreak, thank you for the explanation. i think i understand, but i am not happy with this. it reminds me of early windows versions, where you had to reboot in order to get a mouse working :(
    ...and it did work better in openelec: if tv was on, elec did find it, no matter if hdmi was selected.

maybe it is possible to restart xorg, i'll try

Force edid and poat your log

journalctl -a | pastebinit

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | pastebinit

I had this problem since oe 8 test build solved thanks to fritsch appending also video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@50D to edid line