Spec me an all in one box for LE

• Looking to upgrade my Raspberry Pi 3. What I'm looking for is 4K support, inbuilt (and good performing) wifi ac/5G, remote with built in IR in box. At least 16gb flash/ssd and at least 2GB ram and can run LibreELEC as a standalone OS. Around the £200 mark?

• Official Post

Intel NUC with a broadwell or skylake cpu comes without disk/ram, so you can put in whatever you want. They also have okay wlan cards. No idea what it costs in your area, and not sure how well developed that stuff is yet, as I think kernel support etc just got added for those boxes in alpha.

• My vote is for the NUC as well. I've had my haswell i5 for well over a year now and it just performs so well as a HTPC, even got some horsepower for emulators on top. It's small, quiet, looks good and is somewhat expandable.

• Get a NUC, MCE remote and you're good to go

it just works

I have 3 NUC's 3 pi's and an Odroid C2

The NUC is just clean and it works

Intel NUC NUC5CPYH
    Does 4K, mine is connected to a 55" Samsung UHD TV, I prefer wired, the networks are the issue not the onboard wifi (that works fine) and 4gb is cheap, and I have a 16gb SSD in that one

i'm in Australia so price match is of no use to you

Edited once, last by silashack (June 18, 2016 at 5:00 PM).

• Oh, you want to compare?

I have 2 NUCs, Wetek Core and Play, Raspberry Pi Zero, 1 and 2, Odroid C1 and C2.

The NUCs are now used by the Kids as normal desktop computers. Buying them for use as HTPCs was a wrong decision.
    They have bad deinterlacers so content with 1080i looks very bad on them. Everytime I got told that the next NUCs, that will come after that I had bought, will do it better.
    Even every Raspberry Pi makes a better picture.
    The NUCs have no HDMI-CEC support. that is a no go for me. Every HTPC should be able to do that. There exists an adapter, but it costs nearly the same as an Odroid C2.

The Odroid C2 is currently the best supported device. The Wetek Hub will be the best all in one solution.

Gerald

• I hear what you say about the HDMI-CEC, but for me, the functions of a genuine MCE remote (or even yatse on a tablet) are much better than trying to use the tv remote.

I described the units I have to show that I have knowledge of different units, I also have android units, not to boast, just to show I am not a zealot for one product.

I have no issues with my NUC's but hear what you say about the 'next version' This is also true of the small pi/odroid systems, I have my C2 with the latest 7.0.2 and could say that it missing the first few seconds of a video is a deal breaker, despite trying all fixes it still does it, but I understand that this is new technology and it is evolving, so i will wait for a solution and know it wil come.

The pi requires additions to allow remote control, the androids do not boot (unless you hack) straight into 'kodi', some units require wifi dongles, hence my response was to the OP and what covered his needs, and the original post does say that the latest pi3 has been used and he is seeking a somwhat better solution?

And that for me would be a NUC

Edited once, last by silashack (June 19, 2016 at 2:04 AM).

• Thanks for all your advice, much appreciated.

The Intel NUC route looks likely to set me back about £300+ which is too much for me at the moment. My attentions have turned to the Wetek Hub - about to be released. Again, it claims to run on Android but again it will run LE shandalone rather than side loaded?

• Thanks for all your advice, much appreciated.

The Intel NUC route looks likely to set me back about £300+ which is too much for me at the moment. My attentions have turned to the Wetek Hub - about to be released. Again, it claims to run on Android but again it will run LE shandalone rather than side loaded?

You will probably be able to launch LE from a SD card.