VPN Manager for OpenVPN

• Hi!

I have a similar problem as already reported here. After being away from home for couple of days, when I turned on my LibreELEC on R-Pi 2, the 10 VPN servers configuration within OpenVPN Manager addon was gone. When I tried to configure them again, I started getting error messages about failed authentication. I've tried deleting all config as solorize mentioned above but it didn't help.
    (Logon credentials for NordVPN work fine from Windows laptop or Android phone.)

Log attached. Please let me know if I should provide more info.

Version Info
    VPN provider: NordVPN
    VPN manager for OpenVPN: 4.0.3
    LibreELEC: 8.0.1
    Kodi: 17.1

• Hi all,

I’m having a problem with the VPN Manger not connecting. Currently subscribed to PureVPN and running a fresh install of LibreElec 8.1 kodi 17.1 on a Matricom MX 2 box. I have not installed any addons yet except Zomboided repository and. Vpn manager.
    With the VPN Provider selected PureVPN and username and password entered it does its stuff but I keep getting the "error connecting to VPN something unexpected happened. Retry to check openvpn operation and then check log"
    One of the lines in the openvpn log reads Warning: No server certificate verification method has been enabled. Could this be the problem? Desperately seeking any advice having trawled the forums and Google for hours..

Any help in the right direction would be most welcome
    Thanks

• Hello together,

is there a way to use two VPN Provider? When I travel it would be nice to have either a VPN for geoblocking or another to my home LAN.
    I'm I right that at the moment I only can have one provider? So when I want to switch between "homeVPN" and "providerVPN" I have to reset and reconfigure the VPN Manager?
    Thanks in advance

• Hello together,

is there a way to use two VPN Provider? When I travel it would be nice to have either a VPN for geoblocking or another to my home LAN.
    I'm I right that at the moment I only can have one provider? So when I want to switch between "homeVPN" and "providerVPN" I have to reset and reconfigure the VPN Manager?
    Thanks in advance

Use User Defined where you give it both the provider ovpn files and the ovpn file for your home network. You can read about how to use User Defined on the wiki
    [hr]

The log file doesn't show you trying to connect so is of no help. Get a log with debug switched on of you trying to connect
    [hr]

It looks like you're using the wrong password. You should double check and then do the reset VPN provider option again (no need to reset the downloaded files). Or maybe Nord have changed their servers again, I'd need to check. Does this happen for all locations or have you only tried the us9 one that you're showing me in the log?

Edited once, last by zomboided (April 13, 2017 at 6:50 AM).

• It looks like you're using the wrong password. You should double check and then do the reset VPN provider option again (no need to reset the downloaded files). Or maybe Nord have changed their servers again, I'd need to check. Does this happen for all locations or have you only tried the us9 one that you're showing me in the log?

Password and user name double checked and re-entered. I've also checked the config files and password stored there is correct, too. The result is the same. I'm getting the same authentication failed for any of NordVPN locations/servers.

• Use User Defined where you give it both the provider ovpn files and the ovpn file for your home network. You can read about how to use User Defined on the wiki
    [hr]

The log file doesn't show you trying to connect so is of no help. Get a log with debug switched on of you trying to connect
    [hr]

It looks like you're using the wrong password. You should double check and then do the reset VPN provider option again (no need to reset the downloaded files). Or maybe Nord have changed their servers again, I'd need to check. Does this happen for all locations or have you only tried the us9 one that you're showing me in the log?

Hi Zomboided,
    Thanks for the reply
    I've attached the latest logfile where I tried to connect on two separate occasions.
    Not really sure if I'm doing the log file thing properly. I have got the enable debug for just VPN manager checked and then I copied log files to the Homefolder/downloads. From there I went onto the network and selected LibreElec and downloads. Is this the right way of doing it are you getting the information required?

Thanks in advance

• hi , i have installed libreelec 8.01 on my raspberry 2 , also the addon. i am a noob with a silly question. can you tell me where i can see that the addon is working and the possibility to stop the addon for a moment ?
    greetz , cormar

sorry , found it. all works good. thx for this wonderful addon.

Edited once, last by cormar (April 13, 2017 at 7:47 PM).

• Hi Zomboided,
    Thanks for the reply
    I've attached the latest logfile where I tried to connect on two separate occasions.
    Not really sure if I'm doing the log file thing properly. I have got the enable debug for just VPN manager checked and then I copied log files to the Homefolder/downloads. From there I went onto the network and selected LibreElec and downloads. Is this the right way of doing it are you getting the information required?

Thanks in advance

You connection is timing out. Last time I saw this it was because missing packages on the underlying operating system. You should run openvpn via the command line and verify it works. There are instructions on the wiki in troubleshooting (see first post). I can't see that the addon is doing anything wrong.
    [hr]

Hi,

I'm having the same issues as seen by solorize on the 9th. Nothing happens after clicking "switch between location and server views". Is 4.0.3 available yet? I'm not seeing it here: Releases · Zomboided/service.vpn.manager · GitHub

Cheers

Install it from my repo, I'll upload it to GitHub when I get a chance

Edited once, last by zomboided (April 13, 2017 at 8:52 PM).

• Password and user name double checked and re-entered. I've also checked the config files and password stored there is correct, too. The result is the same. I'm getting the same authentication failed for any of NordVPN locations/servers.

Out of despair, I tried to downgrade the addon to version 3.1.2 but that didn't help either. Has something changed at NordVPN? Authentication works fine from Windows or Android NordVPN client. :huh:
    [hr]
    zomboided Fixed!!! :cool:

I have finally noticed when looking through settings.xml file that password value had one extra space at the end! It seems that when entering credentials through my Android Kodi remote, an extra space at the end was sent to Kodi. I did not notice that before. Now when I've entered password through Kodi on screen keyboard, being very careful about characters at the end, NordVPN authorization works again! Sorry for bothering you zomboided...
    Thank you for your work and your support!

Edited once, last by jasonhtt (April 13, 2017 at 9:39 PM).

• Ok good, thanks for mentioning this. Was this because you added the space or the remote did this for you? And what remote are you using? I'd like to know so I can ask others when they get random connection problems

• Ok good, thanks for mentioning this. Was this because you added the space or the remote did this for you? And what remote are you using? I'd like to know so I can ask others when they get random connection problems

Well, I use Yatse but I'm not sure if I can blame the problem on it only. In combination with SwiftKey keyboard, predictions and stuff... It's hard to tell and so easy to miss...

• Hi Zomboided,

I ran the command line openvpn as you suggested and got a full page of options back. You mentioned missing packages on the underlying operating system, does that mean my install is corrupted or that I have no other alternative than to downgrade to an earlier version? If this is the case which version would you recommend? I have tried LibreElec 7.95, this also gave the same error message. I previously tried OpenEelec version 6.0.3 and kept getting install plugin version 6.0.1 error messages.

Thanks again

• /usr/sbin/openvpn "/storage/.kodi/addons/service.vpn.manager/PureVPN/London 1 (UDP).ovpn" > /run/openvpn.log &

Thanks for the cmd string, I would never have guessed that one :s Entered it through putty. Not 100% sure if I did it the right way. Copy of log attached.

I am away for a couple of weeks making it difficult to try any other diagnostics. If you don't mind can we pick up the thread when I return?

Thanks again for your time

• Hi Zomboided

I'm using version version 4.0.5, but I'm still having the same problem when trying to choose my first vpn connection. A screen pops up asking me to "switch between location and server views", but it doesn't work, leaving me with "cancel connection attempt" as the only other option.

I've attached my log file.

Any advice appreciated. I had it working fine until one of the recent updates.

Thanks

kodi_17-04-16_15-53-37.log