Continuity counter error

• I will. However I am very disappointed. So far I thought RPi is very capable for a HTPC with DVB receiving capability. Now I can see it is on the edge when wathcing a single HD channel. I assume paralel recording or timeshifting can be completely forgotten.

Just select deinterlace to Bob (x2) and then set as default for all videos and the problem is gone.
    Note, Bob (x2) was the default on Jarvis so you haven't lost anything.

Currently advanced deinterlace is not compatible with some dvb dongles running on the same Pi.

• Sure thing... I assume I just drop this in my /storage/.update folder and reboot.

yes, that is all

could you also test
    - LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.95.3-mb_without (same as above)
    - LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.95.3-latest-10.2
    - LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.95.3-allyes
    at least we could track down between which changes the problem appear

• yes, that is all

could you also test
    - LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.95.3-mb_without (same as above)
    - LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.95.3-allyes
    at least we could track down between which changes the problem appear

So far I have tested:
    - LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.95.3-mb_without

Both those builds still give the Counter Continuity errors.

Later today I'll try out LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.95.3-allyes and report back on whether there's any improvement...
    ...Probably when the wife is out, as I'm currently getting it in the ear that "those !!****!! blocks are back" - lol ;)

• For what it's worth, I'm running DVBSky S960 in my livingroom PC (x86_64) and it works just fine. It's connected to a USB 3.0 port.

Some things to try to narrow down the issue:
    - plug in only 1 tuner and try if it improves
    - move the tuner from USB3 port to USB2 port (if possible)

Edited once, last by trsqr (February 23, 2017 at 9:12 PM).

• This morning I have also tested the other two builds:

LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0.0-revert-14c4bf3.img.gz
    LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0.0-scatter-gather.img.gz

Unfortunately, both still give the Continuity Counter errors.

As suggested by trsqr I also tried plugging in just one tuner, but alas still get the Continuity errors :(

My machine doesn't have USB 3.0 ports - only USB 2.0.

As mentioned I'm running an Aspire Revo R3700 which is admittedly a few years old, but it has 4x 1.8GHz CPU Cores, 4GB RAM & 1TB SATAIII HDD so should be plenty powerful enough for what I'm trying to do. If I go back to the Alpha 9 build (with both tuners plugged into the exact same usb ports) I can watch and record at the same time without any problems. I can also record two programs and watch a recording at the same time still without any problems. The same was true when it was previously running Ubunutu 14.04 with the latest TVH 4.1.x nightly (at the time), and was on Kodi 16.1. I was planning to upgrade to Ubuntu 16 / Kodi 17, but decided instead to have a change from Ubuntu as I wanted something more lightweight/easier to manage/upgrade... hence the move to LibreELEC.

Is it worth putting together a 8.0.0 build with the 4.8 kernel from Alpha 9 to test/confirm that we are definitely dealing with a kernel issue....? Or do you have more builds you'd like me to test.

BTW: Thanks for all the time your spending in trying to figure this one out.

Edited once, last by jahutchi (February 24, 2017 at 2:09 PM).

• i try with an 4.8 image, btw you have plugged power connector to your S960 boxes ?

Yes, The power connector is plugged into my S960 boxes. As I've been switching between versions I haven't touched the cables whatsoever - I just download the files via ssh using wget and drop them into the /storage/.update folder....then reboot

Edited once, last by jahutchi (February 24, 2017 at 9:21 AM).

• I'm also experiencing continuity counter errors with my technotrend s2-4600 usb tv card on my pi3 on latest Milhouse build. Livetv is ok, only recording has issues, even when kodi is stopped (systemctl stop kodi).

tvheadend service log KahD
    dmesg hgag

• I'm also experiencing continuity counter errors with my technotrend s2-4600 usb tv card on my pi3 on latest Milhouse build. Livetv is ok, only recording has issues, even when kodi is stopped (systemctl stop kodi).

tvheadend service log KahD
    dmesg hgag

It might be worth checking this thread: DVB issue since LE switched to kernel 4.9.x

The problem seems to lie somewhere in the 4.9 kernel. LibreELEC switched from a 4.8 to a 4.9 kernel between the alpha 9 -> alpha 10 builds, and this seems to be where the problem was introduced. On the thread above, smp has posted links to some 8.0.0 builds he's put together with a 4.8, rather than 4.9 kernel.

This morning I have installed his "LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0.0.kernel.4.8.13.without.mb.tar" build on my HTPC - which has been running a couple of hours now without any Continuity errors :) ... on the 4.9 kernel-based builds I would receive Counter Continuity errors normally within a few minutes.

On the thread above there is a link to his builds for RPi2/3 on post #14.

• Just select deinterlace to Bob (x2) and then set as default for all videos and the problem is gone.
    Note, Bob (x2) was the default on Jarvis so you haven't lost anything.

Currently advanced deinterlace is not compatible with some dvb dongles running on the same Pi.

Just for curiosity, what do you mean on Bob (x2)? I can find only Bob and Bob (half). There is no Bob (x2) option. Are Bob (x2) and Bob (half) the same? I am asking because Bob(half) produces unwatchable picture while the picture is smooth with Bob.

• CvH,

Is there a Libreelec 8.x build with different TBS drivers, I have a TBS 6981 and works most of the time but on occasion I get continuity errors and sometimes an unwatchable picture. I thought I sorted the issue by changing the motherboard and replacing the card. I see that LE7 has the option for crazycat, open or official drivers, I was wondering if I could try these other drivers on my LE8 box before I give up on the TBS card. I have 2 Hauppauge Nova S2 cards and they work great not a problem.

Thanks