[9.0.0] LibreELEC builds for MX2/G18

• Hi All.

I have tried numerous times to rename the internal storage following the instructions from the very first post with no success. One thing I did see is that my internal storage is not labelled as "/dev/data". It is labelled "/dev/mmcblk", if I were to type that into ssh will it mess things up or is it a chance I should take?

I hope my question makes sense as I am very new to the whole SSH command thing.

Thanks In advance

• Question: I have 3 MX2's. I'd like to clone the setup of the first box after I upgrade to LibreElec 8.0.2 and using an external SDCard for /storage.

Can I just clone my external SDCard 2 times and after the upgrade from Recovery to 8.0.2, insert the cloned SDCards to have 2 additional cloned MX2 setups?

• Question: I have 3 MX2's. I'd like to clone the setup of the first box after I upgrade to LibreElec 8.0.2 and using an external SDCard for /storage.

Can I just clone my external SDCard 2 times and after the upgrade from Recovery to 8.0.2, insert the cloned SDCards to have 2 additional cloned MX2 setups?

Yes, you can. The only possible drawback might be a network connection setup (as it is saved for a particular MAC address). So you might need to setup network connection again on the cloned boxes.

EDIT: Please note that all your boxes are going to have the same SSH fingerprint.

• I'm a little unclear about the future upgrade path from 8.0.2.

Going forward, can I update LibreElec using the /storage/.update folder method?

Yes, you can. Not just from 8.0.2 but also from 8.0.1 and even from 8.0.0. Once you've got 8.0.0 or newer up and running with the label on storage you can update to future versions using .tar as usual.

• Interesting so I tried the update method via the internal folders and that went south FAST and now I have been failing at the recovery method . It fails right after attempting to validate to install. What could I be doing wrong?

• Yes, you will need to do a new installation via the toothpick method. My method was I used a Linux VM to format my SD card as EXT3 with a label of LIBREELEC_DISK. I then copied the files from the new install ZIP file to it and used the toothpick method to install. I left the SD card in to boot, it boots up LibreELEC and Kodi as expected, but this is the SD card version and not the internal memory version. Enable SSH and connect to it, then run the tune2fs command specified in the first post. Power down the MX2, remove the SD card, then power on again and it should boot up normally.

I tried looking for a reliable tool to format an SD card to EXT3 via Windows 7+ but could not find one so a Linux VM (with Ubuntu) was easier.

So to summarize:

1. Use a tool (or Linux VM) to format an SD Card using EXT3 and label it LIBREELEC_DISK
    2. Copy files from new install ZIP to SD Card
    3. Install using toothpick method
    4. Leave SD Card in and let Kodi start
    5. Enable SSH, connect from a computer, run tune2fs command
    6. Shut down MX2, remove SD card, power on again

Thanks "amponzi" I got it to work, I guess I missed the unzip the downloaded new installation package onto the SD card and then do the recovery tool method. This allowed the update load with no issues. On the second reboot I inserted the USB v3 and it booted fine. A couple of issues thus far, Wireless is very slow and I am unable to boot successfully even after running the cmd to nand. I then hardwired and was able to load a build. So, two things I need to work on, 1. Boot off the internal nand, 2. improve wireless speed. Thanks for the assist.

Edited once, last by Dalidavinc (June 8, 2017 at 7:08 PM).

• I would like to do a speed test comparision of the external SD card I'm using right now for /storage/ vs. the internal "sd card".

Where is the location of what would normally be the internal "/storage/" folder if I want to do some read/write speed comparisons?

Is it "/dev/data/"?

Also, if I want to revert back to using the internal sdcard, do I just run the TuneFS command from your first post?

• Hi KOPRajs and thanks for these builds.

I had problem using the wifi connection. While the signal was fine, there was constant buffering, slow transfer speeds even from a NAS and disconnections.

It was very much improved by doing the following procedure:

1) Create the file: /storage/.config/modprobe.d/rt8188eu.conf
    2) Paste the following: options 8188eu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0
    3) reboot or reload the module

It apparently disables power management on the wifi module.
    Hope it helps anyone.

So this worked for you and speeds are tolerable? Is this on the matricom MX2? I tried doing this and it would not boot

• Hi KOPRajs and thanks for these builds.

I had problem using the wifi connection. While the signal was fine, there was constant buffering, slow transfer speeds even from a NAS and disconnections.

It was very much improved by doing the following procedure:

1) Create the file: /storage/.config/modprobe.d/rt8188eu.conf
    2) Paste the following: options 8188eu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0
    3) reboot or reload the module

It apparently disables power management on the wifi module.
    Hope it helps anyone.

So this worked for you and speeds are tolerable? Is this on the matricom MX2? I tried doing this and it would not boot.

Sorry this will NOT WORK and it will completely disable your Wifi.

Edited once, last by Dalidavinc: Actually finally got this to work without hosing the boot, however it does not improve wifi, it could be because it is on the SD card and not on the nand. My attempts to run "tune2fs -L LIBREELEC_DISK /dev/data" and transfer librelec have been unsuccessful for some reason. (June 14, 2017 at 2:03 PM).

• I get a connection refused message trying to connect to this device via Putty SSH. I've confirmed the SSH service is enable in the LibreElec configuration screen.

I read somewhere it might have to do with the Storage partition being on an external USB drive. Anyone else having this problem?

• I get a connection refused message trying to connect to this device via Putty SSH. I've confirmed the SSH service is enable in the LibreElec configuration screen.

I read somewhere it might have to do with the Storage partition being on an external USB drive. Anyone else having this problem?

I have done this several ways on both a USB as well as an SD drive and have not run into a connection refused message. Are you sing Wireless or hard wired? The wireless latency may be an issue, if indeed your are using wireless.

• I'm connecting via Wireless. The refusal is immediate.

I get the following "Network error: Connection refused". I also cannot connect from Filezilla over SFTP. Get the same exact error.

I have no trouble at all connecting to an Openelec device using Putty or Filezilla.

• I'm connecting via Wireless. The refusal is immediate.

I get the following "Network error: Connection refused". I also cannot connect from Filezilla over SFTP. Get the same exact error.

I have no trouble at all connecting to an Openelec device using Putty or Filezilla.

Is the /storage partition formatted as FAT32 or EXT4?

I'm connecting via Wireless. The refusal is immediate.

I'm connecting via Wireless. The refusal is immediate.

I would attempt to connect Hardwired as Wireless appear to be an issue. Putty, Bluetooth, appear to be working fine. Wireless "BLOWS" May have something to do with the driver.

• I would attempt to connect Hardwired as Wireless appear to be an issue. Putty, Bluetooth, appear to be working fine. Wireless "BLOWS" May have something to do with the driver.

Ok, I will try that tonight when I get home. I am using an external Edimax 11AC Wireless USB dongle so I can connect to my 5Ghz network. I will also try the built-in wifi device.

Oddly enough, SAMBA works just fine. :)

• Now that I have SAMBA access, I'm wondering it there's anything I can look for in the ZIP files stored in the LogFiles folder. When I unzip the file, there is an 05_Network.log file that has all kinds of info in it.

• I've compared the 05_Network.log file from an OpenElec box that has SSH working and this LibreElec box that doesn't work, and I've found entries missing:

On OpenElec, I'm seeing this in the file:

Code
    Active Internet connections (servers and established)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name    
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      448/sshd
    tcp        0      0 :::22                   :::*                    LISTEN      448/sshd
    Active UNIX domain sockets (servers and established)
    Proto RefCnt Flags       Type       State         I-Node PID/Program name    Path
    unix  3      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED       5139 448/sshd            

None of those entries appear in my LibreElec version of the file.

I'm also wondering if my cloning of the USB flash drive for \storage\ use from another MX2 is the issue. Maybe that messed up SSH.