Sx05RE v1.8.6 Emulationstation+Lakka+Kodi

• Hi niabi or someone who had the same issue. I have the 1.8.4 running on my s905x. Everything works like charm, except the Dreamcast Emu. I've the bios and all as .cdi files games. But when I start a game, only the screen where you can change the date/time appears and I can do anything. Nothing is responding to my controller inputs (xbox360). Do I miss something? Thx for help.

Sorry it took this long to reply.

you have to log in to SSH and type

Code
    reicast-joyconfig.py 

and follow the instructions, after all of that you get the results and you have to copy them to a .cfg file.

e.g. /storage/.config/reicast/pad.cfg

and then modify the /storage/.config/reicast/emu.cfg to point to this configuration and the device id.

An easier way if you have an Xbox pad is to just notice the device ID and change it in /storage/.config/reicast/emu.cfg

Code
    evdev_device_id_1 = x 

(where x is the device id you got from running reicast-joyconfig.py)

• For those of you that have an S912 and wish to run this, I have some news.

I recently got a S912 donated by an anonymous user (anonymous as in he wishes not to be mentioned) and I did some tests for the S912, I've gotten everything to run on it except for PPSSPP and Reicast, but I am working on it. Everything else seems to run perfectly. I will release an img to test pretty soon.

I can now test and build for the S905(x) and the S912, still no S805 but AFAIK everything works on that one :)

Thanks for the donation!

• thank you for workaround. Will test it tomorrow. After Easter Holiday :)

UPDATE: Work like charm, after changing the ID in emu.cfg - THANKS!!!!!! :)

Edited 2 times, last by SSC_Jarod (April 3, 2018 at 10:20 AM).

• Managed to get this working on a LePotato by inserting the system and kernel into kzaq's LePotato build but man is it crashy. I'm talking full on bring down the entire OS level crashes (seg faults etc). Haven't been able to pinpoint the problem yet but seems to manifest most often under heavy load, I've most often during SMB file transfers but thinking that was the cause tried SSH and had the same thing happen. Tried several different MicroSD cards to take that out of the equation but no difference. I'm fairly new to building stuff for Linux (especially something as complex as LibreELEC) but I'm trying to learn how this all goes together as it seems the kernel used in Adam's Leia builds is a lot more stable. If anyone has messed around with the LePotato and has any suggestions I'm open to hear them.

• bug report with version 1.8.5 - I have 1943.zip MAME ROMs and no matter which MAME core I set in ES (MAME2003, ADVANCEMAME, MAME2010 etc.) it will not load and run the zipped 1943 ROM set.

but if I an retroarch and select CORE -> MAME2003 and then LOAD CONTENT - 1943.ZIP - the game loads and runs with no issues. happens a lot with other MAME rom sets as well.

it appears that the MAME settings in ES are only using the FBA core.

• niabi - what is the script you use please to scrape for box art? I've been searching but not finding it (I want to edit it to scrape game screenshots instead of box art)

EDIT: I've found two copies of the 'scraper' binary - one is about 4KB an in the BIN folder, the other is about 8KB and in the ROMS\NEOGEO folder.

thank you.

Edited once, last by gizmomelb (April 3, 2018 at 1:06 PM).

• bug report with version 1.8.5 - I have 1943.zip MAME ROMs and no matter which MAME core I set in ES (MAME2003, ADVANCEMAME, MAME2010 etc.) it will not load and run the zipped 1943 ROM set.

but if I an retroarch and select CORE -> MAME2003 and then LOAD CONTENT - 1943.ZIP - the game loads and runs with no issues. happens a lot with other MAME rom sets as well.

I will check this.

• niabi - what is the script you use please to scrape for box art? I've been searching but not finding it (I want to edit it to scrape game screenshots instead of box art)

EDIT: I've found two copies of the 'scraper' binary - one is about 4KB an in the BIN folder, the other is about 8KB and in the ROMS\NEOGEO folder.

thank you.

The only one I provide and use is the one in /usr/bin I don't know where the other one came from. I am trying (without much success) to implement it on ES. But for the meanwhile you will have to run it manually.

Edited once, last by niabi (April 3, 2018 at 5:18 PM).

Ok I checked this, and I didn't have the problem you are having.

Can you check es_settings.cfg and see what mame core is selected there?

also, make sure your ROMS are in /storage/roms/mame-advmame (or the one you have in es_systems.cfg if you modified it)

I should have changed this to be just /storage/roms/mame but I forgot :(

• Managed to get this working on a LePotato by inserting the system and kernel into kzaq's LePotato build but man is it crashy. I'm talking full on bring down the entire OS level crashes (seg faults etc). Haven't been able to pinpoint the problem yet but seems to manifest most often under heavy load, I've most often during SMB file transfers but thinking that was the cause tried SSH and had the same thing happen. Tried several different MicroSD cards to take that out of the equation but no difference. I'm fairly new to building stuff for Linux (especially something as complex as LibreELEC) but I'm trying to learn how this all goes together as it seems the kernel used in Adam's Leia builds is a lot more stable. If anyone has messed around with the LePotato and has any suggestions I'm open to hear them.

Does Kszaq version work for you without any modifications? I might be able to compile a version for LePotato, but I have no way to test it.

• Does Kszaq version work for you without any modifications? I might be able to compile a version for LePotato, but I have no way to test it.

Kszaq's builds of LibreELEC do not exhibit the crashing. I've also used Adam's 8.2.4 build and am currently running a self compiled version of his Leia build on the LePotato under my TV without experiencing any crashing. If you do compile a build for LePotato I'm happy to test, I've got 2 LePotato's so very easy for me to test a build on my dev unit without impacting the production one.

• Ok I will let it build overnight and I will send you a img when its ready to test :)

Much appreciated....I'm in the process of dissecting your repo to see how it all goes together so that I can do this kinda thing myself.

I majored in programming at uni but only briefly did it professionally - been a Windows sysadmin/network admin for the past 10 years so as you can imagine I'm a bit out of practice. Been using Linux of various flavours at home more and more the past year but got a lot to catch up on. So far the most complex thing I've done is cherry pick some patches, but I hope to one day send some pull requests your way. :)

• That would be great PR are always welcome!

it takes about 4 hours to compile for each different board so in the morning I will check if it built correctly and upload a test.

• @saunderez just FYI I had an error while building the image for LePotato, not related to Sx05RE so I am looking into it. I will let you know as soon as I find a solution.

No problem, I'm in no hurry.

I've spent a bit of time merging your Leia branch with CoreELEC master (the repo formerly known as LibreELEC-AML) and the merge is more or less done but there's some work to do to successfully compile for the LePotato - IIRC a missing target for the LePotato's DTBs. I'll take another look at it after work tomorrow. I forked your repo (GitHub - saunderez/Sx05RE: 'Just enough OS' for Kodi. Sx05 Retro Edition, an emulation build based on LibreELEC for S905, S805 Devices.) and I've been committing my changes so if I get it working I'll send a PR with my changes.

My build environment is a VM with 4 x 3.7ghz Ryzen 1700 cores (8 threads) and 8GB RAM allocated so compilation time should be alright once I get everything set up, I might be able to give you a hand with your builds.

• No problem, I'm in no hurry.

I've spent a bit of time merging your Leia branch with CoreELEC master (the repo formerly known as LibreELEC-AML) and the merge is more or less done but there's some work to do to successfully compile for the LePotato - IIRC a missing target for the LePotato's DTBs. I'll take another look at it after work tomorrow. I forked your repo (GitHub - saunderez/Sx05RE: 'Just enough OS' for Kodi. Sx05 Retro Edition, an emulation build based on LibreELEC for S905, S805 Devices.) and I've been committing my changes so if I get it working I'll send a PR with my changes.

My build environment is a VM with 4 x 3.7ghz Ryzen 1700 cores (8 threads) and 8GB RAM allocated so compilation time should be alright once I get everything set up, I might be able to give you a hand with your builds.

That is the same error I get when I build for LePotato (DTB related).

Thanks! I saw your repo and it would be of great help!

I still don't know why they changed the AML repo to CoreELEC, can't find any info on that.

• sigh can anyone suggest which DTB to use for a 1GB Mini M8S box please - bluetooth isn't detected or supported even though all other ports / devices are. thank you.