Posts by saunderez

@saunderez just FYI I had an error while building the image for LePotato, not related to Sx05RE so I am looking into it. I will let you know as soon as I find a solution.

No problem, I'm in no hurry.

I've spent a bit of time merging your Leia branch with CoreELEC master (the repo formerly known as LibreELEC-AML) and the merge is more or less done but there's some work to do to successfully compile for the LePotato - IIRC a missing target for the LePotato's DTBs. I'll take another look at it after work tomorrow. I forked your repo (GitHub - saunderez/Sx05RE: 'Just enough OS' for Kodi. Sx05 Retro Edition, an emulation build based on LibreELEC for S905, S805 Devices.) and I've been committing my changes so if I get it working I'll send a PR with my changes.

My build environment is a VM with 4 x 3.7ghz Ryzen 1700 cores (8 threads) and 8GB RAM allocated so compilation time should be alright once I get everything set up, I might be able to give you a hand with your builds.

Ok I will let it build overnight and I will send you a img when its ready to test :)

Much appreciated....I'm in the process of dissecting your repo to see how it all goes together so that I can do this kinda thing myself.

I majored in programming at uni but only briefly did it professionally - been a Windows sysadmin/network admin for the past 10 years so as you can imagine I'm a bit out of practice. Been using Linux of various flavours at home more and more the past year but got a lot to catch up on. So far the most complex thing I've done is cherry pick some patches, but I hope to one day send some pull requests your way. :)

Does Kszaq version work for you without any modifications? I might be able to compile a version for LePotato, but I have no way to test it.

Kszaq's builds of LibreELEC do not exhibit the crashing. I've also used Adam's 8.2.4 build and am currently running a self compiled version of his Leia build on the LePotato under my TV without experiencing any crashing. If you do compile a build for LePotato I'm happy to test, I've got 2 LePotato's so very easy for me to test a build on my dev unit without impacting the production one.

Managed to get this working on a LePotato by inserting the system and kernel into kzaq's LePotato build but man is it crashy. I'm talking full on bring down the entire OS level crashes (seg faults etc). Haven't been able to pinpoint the problem yet but seems to manifest most often under heavy load, I've most often during SMB file transfers but thinking that was the cause tried SSH and had the same thing happen. Tried several different MicroSD cards to take that out of the equation but no difference. I'm fairly new to building stuff for Linux (especially something as complex as LibreELEC) but I'm trying to learn how this all goes together as it seems the kernel used in Adam's Leia builds is a lot more stable. If anyone has messed around with the LePotato and has any suggestions I'm open to hear them.

these are executables but does not launch:

I can confirm the same issue with retroarch apparently not being an executable. Running it normally (./retroarch) results in a file not found. Running retroarch.start results in the script bombing out because retroarch could not be found. It also has some problem with not being able to create a temp file, but after editing the script to hardcode that filename and creating the file and giving it the appropriate commissions the script did not get much further. retroarch.sh says it is running but theres no process for it and nothing happens.

Just in case the specific version of retroarch had an issue I installed a previous version of your package that definitely worked for me earlier and no dice. Running ldd on retroarch resulted in the same "not a dynamic executable" error as above.

This morning I managed to successfully build and install the image on my box. Thanks for your assistance, it all came together in the end and I learned how to do a few things in Linux that I had never attempted before (such as mounting a LibreElec .img). Unfortunately, unlike your previous build, RetroArch does not work (loops straight back into Kodi). I've dug into the file system and the 32 bit libraries are definitely there, so you script definitely worked there. However there there must be something different than your previous working build. It seems like the libraries aren't actually being loaded but I'm not sure where to start investigating that. If you can give me any pointers I'm happy to troubleshoot.

JoKeRzBoX, any chance you could generate an update for the new 7.9.0 build?

LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-8.0-devel-20161107203518-r24431-g828b0b5.img.gz

I just spent 2 hours trying to do it as per the instructions on your repository (including spinning up a Linux VM and figuring out the steps I wasn't familiar with) but to no avail. Everything looked good, generated my SYSTEM and SYSTEM.md5. Multiple times my repacked files were rejected by the updater. I even regenerated SYSTEM a couple of times to make sure the problem wasn't there. I'm probably just doing something dumb due to being tired and frustrated. I'll try again tomorrow evening when morale recovers because I'd really like to be self reliant rather than bugging you for new builds.

Cheers
    Chris

Any chance you could do the same for kzaq's WIP LibreELEC 7.9.0 Alpha build located here

I'm finding this build better than the 7.0 build for a number of reasons (mainly playback improvements and improved Bluetooth stability) and would love to get RetroArch working on it. I'm fine with injecting the files into the filesystem myself but I'm a bit unsure about how to implement the other changes you've made myself.