Sx05RE v1.8.6 Emulationstation+Lakka+Kodi

• It seems a lot of the commits made to LE have broken (or changed) a lot of stuff regarding emulation. advmame does not work anymore, BT works on some devices, etc, etc.

I am trying to figure this one out :/

• I have an announcement for anyone interested.

LibreElec focus is not on emulation nor games, they focus on getting Kodi working as best as possible, which they made an excellent job at!

Some changes from 1.6.5 to 1.8.3 seem to have broken a lot of stuff, and its very time consuming for someone like me to test each and every commit to LE to see if I need to change stuff around or fix other stuff. in This case advmame will be removed since there are a LOT of commits from one version to the other that broke it. I love advmame and I would love to keep it but its just not possible for me right now.

The same goes for BT, unless I can find an easy way to fix it. which is a shame as I know a lot of people rather use BT for the game pad.

But guys remember my focus was getting Emulationstation working along with other emulators and Lakka on the S905, I don't take credit for a lot of what made Sx05RE work, I don't even ask for donations or recognition since I know the real hard work was made by other guys, but I think I made a good job at getting everything working (sort of) together.

The Lakka team have focused themselves on getting emulation working on these devices, and everything there works perfectly (BT, advmame, ES, PPSSPP, etc) and since I don't use Kodi at all, I am thinking of just moving everything to Lakka even if that means loosing Kodi, I know most of the people that use Sx05RE use if for Kodi first and games second, but its just getting to hard to maintain for a guy that knows very little about how linux/LE works and mostly works by trial and error, pair that with a crappy laptop that takes about 8 hours to compile one version from scratch and you get a lot of wasted time trying to get one thing fixed.

If you focus is sing Kodi first you can always "installtointernal", and use a SD card to boot to Sx05RE when you feel like you want to play some games, or there are now other options like the IARL that work on the S905.

That said, I will still try to fix the remaining bugs on 1.8.3 but my focus will now be moved to Lakka.

• It's an excellent idea niabi.

I myself have LE installed internally to use Kodi, and boot on sdcard some of others distributions when needed...

Lakka is pretty stable and well maintained, but lack ES.

Plugged on lakka, Sx095re will bring the best of both worlds....

• Yeah Sx05RE works pretty well for the most part, and as I said I am not leaving the project to die, I will still try to fix the remaining issues, but as you guys know LE 8.2 for Amlogic is not really being maintained anymore so there will be no more updates to the Kodi side.

But in the future I might work more on the Lakka build as it fits better for my needs.

but don't worry Sx05RE is not dead :)

• Hello niabi.

I know you have things to think, but maybe you can help me...

I compiled sx095re for wetek_core.

After some modifications all went fine, and booting.

But while booting I have a lot of errors displayed : all like "failed to mount tmp-ores.mount".

Then it boots ok but libretro cores don't seem to work.

Have you an idea? Or how can I do logs to investigate the problem?

Thanks

• Lakka-LibreELEC/overlayfs.v18-3.10-rc7.patch at Lakka-V2.1-dev · libretro/Lakka-LibreELEC · GitHub

try placing this patch file into /projects/wetek_core/patches/Linux and recompile

It worked for me when I had that issue on the s805

Edited once, last by mxqproject (March 4, 2018 at 11:58 AM).

• yeah i have 1.8.2 but how i do it, cant find a .tar file to put in .update folder. Or is there another way to update?!

Just place the img.gz, but please make a backup of your SD before you update I am not 100% this will go without a problem. it shouldn't as not many things on LE have changed from 8.2 to 8.3 but you never know.

• Lakka-LibreELEC/overlayfs.v18-3.10-rc7.patch at Lakka-V2.1-dev · libretro/Lakka-LibreELEC · GitHub

try placing this patch file into /projects/wetek_core/patches/Linux and recompile

It worked for me when I had that issue on the s805

thank you mxqproject, it did the trick !

No more error message, but I'm very surprised : sx095re takes much much longer than LE or lakka to boot on my device :(

Maybe I've something else wrong ...

• thank you mxqproject, it did the trick !

No more error message, but I'm very surprised : sx095re takes much much longer than LE or lakka to boot on my device :(

Maybe I've something else wrong ...

ES is very slow, specially with a lot of ROMS, that is why I want to find another front-end like Pegasus which loads extremely fast.

• will there be any sort of hyperpie/attactmode looking builds in the future?

I tried compiling Attractmode, after a long time of fiddling around with SFML I finally got it to compile, but then the actual attractmode will not compile and can't find a solution anywhere :/

HyperPie is AFAIK not open source, but I think its made specifically for the PI using its GPU, which is not compatible with mali. Unless I am missing something.

Edit: I was thinking of hyperspin, but anyways I just saw a video on HyperPi and no, I would not be adding anything like that, it looks painfully slow, I rather find/use a lightweight front end that displays just the right amount of data.

Edited 3 times, last by niabi (March 5, 2018 at 10:31 PM).

• I tried compiling Attractmode, after a long time of fiddling around with SFML I finally got it to compile, but then the actual attractmode will not compile and can't find a solution anywhere :/

HyperPie is AFAIK not open source, but I think its made specifically for the PI using its GPU, which is not compatible with mali. Unless I am missing something.

Edit: I was thinking of hyperspin, but anyways I just saw a video on HyperPi and no, I would not be adding anything like that, it looks painfully slow, I rather find/use a lightweight front end that displays just the right amount of data.

yea the pegasus front end seems very promising, it just needs to be fleshed out more, with more settings,and usability

• Hi,

Sorry to ask a basic question here. First time I install sx05re on my ki plus. Actually I'd like to try running some C64 roms. After dropping games in the ROM folder, nothing is detected by ES or PEGASUS after booting. I did look for some instructions, read me files or such and could not find any. As I recalled, in retropie or lakka there are allocated folders for every emulators. But it is not the case here so I'd be glad if someone could point me out some relevant links or tell me how to start/shrug

Thx:S

Edited once, last by candien (March 7, 2018 at 1:05 AM).

• Hi,

Sorry to ask a basic question here. First time I install sx05re on my ki plus. Actually I'd like to try running some C64 roms. After dropping games in the ROM folder, nothing is detected by ES or PEGASUS after booting. I did look for some instructions, read me files or such and could not find any. As I recalled, in retropie or lakka there are allocated folders for every emulators. But it is not the case here so I'd be glad if someone could point me out some relevant links or tell me how to start/shrug

Thx:S

You need to put them in /storage/roms/c64 you can use Samba for this or if you prefer you can set up a USB with your roms and add a file named sx05reroms to the where they are, e.g. :

USB

/roms

/roms/sx05reroms

/roms/c64

/roms/c64/yourroms-here

/roms/<platform>

if you use the USB method make sure to reboot when you insert it.