Community forum for S802 devices

• I wasn't sure if it was the same in OpenELEC and LibreELEC...

LibreELEC is a fork of OpenELEC and it's almost the same yet.

Also what is "sqlite" ? Sorry if this is all obvious for you guys, but I'm newbie in this kind of stuff.

Is this solutiion still needed with the version of KODI we're using, I don't want to mess it up for nothing?

SQlite is a file based SQL database management system. Don't worry, nobody knows everything. I wouldn't update the pathes by a SQLite client.

I would either try to update the pathes in Kodi or to add new pathes by using "Root filesystem" in Kodi. So you only have to create the mountpoint and to persist it by putting it into the autostart.sh. Forget SQLite.

• Alright, after a lot of testing, everything seems very good with LibreElec S802 (M8 build 7.0.2-2-devel), though I have encountered a few minor issues.

1) When starting a new video, sometimes the video is stuck after around 20 seconds of playback, even though sound is still playing. Just pressing left (skip back) is enough to have the video playing again (even playing the same part, but now not hanging), which is behaviour I haven't seen before in any build.
    2) It seems that audio is occasionaly out of sync. This might be a complete coincidence, but I haven't had this in a very long time on OpenElec 6.0.2, and with LibreElec it happened a few times now.
    3) Long press doesn't seem to work with HDMI CEC remotes. Bluetooth and IR remote function as expected for Jarvis (long press shows the option menu), but on the TV remote (HDMI CEC enabled) it always functions as shortpress. (maybe a key repeat option somewhere?)

Anyway, hope it's useful feedback. It's nothing that is breaking daily use of the box.

• Seems im going to be spending my evening flashing the mxiii again . Thanks for all your hard work Drieschel. Ill keep you guys posted!
    [hr]
    This is really cool! Just threw in LibreELEC-S802.MXIII-1G.arm-7.0.2-2-devel.tar . Copied it to the /update smb share. Updating went without problems. Now the mxiii boots blazing fast! No more errors in red in dmesg. Watching livetv now (legally, paid cable subscribtion, dvblink w. hardware cam solution).

First of all: my mce remote is working! No more cheap tiny flimsy button remote, but the old faithfull mce remote with big buttons. Great!

My first observations: it seems the output is not as "smooth" in comparison to my x86-64 i5 gt610 openelec setup. Cant say it stutters, not at all. Maybe there's a difference in deinterlacing? The nvidia solution has that fancy motion temporal spatial thingy deinterlacing. To be honest: i havent seen anything better at decoding then the nvidia gpu's. It wouldnt be fair to compare a little low budget SOC to a big x86 nvidia setup.

That said, i'm grealty impressed. Im wondering if it would be possible to tweak the video output settings, like deinterlacing technique. Or maybe we could do yadif deinterlacing on the cpu? (would that a9 quadcore be powerfull enough to do that?) What about anti aliasing, would the gpu on the s802 be able to do this?

Edited once, last by dipswitch (August 2, 2016 at 8:37 PM).

• Hi, glad to join the forum, i have a question. My device is MXIII 2GB, though a S802 with Android and Kodi 16.1 Can you help me what the advantage is of installing Libreelec on this? Faster or more options? Before trying out I would like to know.

Thanks!

• Not sure if I may answer, but let me try (disclaimer: I'm not the maintainer of this thread or have anything to do with LibreElec)

Android is an OS that is meant to run everything in an acceptable way. Kodi is one of those applications.
    LibreElec is an OS/application, made only with the intention to run Kodi in the best possible way.

So in my experience, LibreElec boots extremely fast compared to Android, and it runs the latest version of Kodi very smoothly, with a lot less limitations and more options than what you have on Android. If something does not work, LibreElec is being updated by many coders trying to get the best of their favorite piece of hardware, instead of people having to change Kodi to work around Android limitations.

If you want to run anything besides Kodi, stick with Android, otherwise go with LibreElec :)

• Thanks, I will give it a try!

Not sure if I may answer, but let me try (disclaimer: I'm not the maintainer of this thread or have anything to do with LibreElec)

Android is an OS that is meant to run everything in an acceptable way. Kodi is one of those applications.
    LibreElec is an OS/application, made only with the intention to run Kodi in the best possible way.

So in my experience, LibreElec boots extremely fast compared to Android, and it runs the latest version of Kodi very smoothly, with a lot less limitations and more options than what you have on Android. If something does not work, LibreElec is being updated by many coders trying to get the best of their favorite piece of hardware, instead of people having to change Kodi to work around Android limitations.

If you want to run anything besides Kodi, stick with Android, otherwise go with LibreElec

Edited once, last by paulsmid (August 3, 2016 at 1:50 PM).

• I installed the ZIP and all is running OK now. Also with the 'normal' Kodi addons. However if I try to install a specific build (like ****) no luck. It gives all kind of dependencies errors and I have to install all over again.
    So, is this possible or do I have to install the build in another way?

Thanks for the help!

Edited once, last by chewitt (August 4, 2016 at 1:29 PM).

• Yes, DokiTV (which was a Repo I don´t know of...so I had to google first) contains banned addons. So there is no support for you in this case. Please stop asking further questions about those add-ons. Your postings might get deleted.

Edited once, last by DaVu (August 4, 2016 at 1:30 PM).

• Thought I would try this build out on my Matricom G-Box Q, (S802 processor) since they can't work the bugs out of their Android releases, and there hasn't been an OpenElec update for this hardware in what seems like forever....

Bad news - The remote isn't working at all. And it reboots rather than powers down, but it goes into sleep/suspend mode just fine. And I have a Rii 18 keyboard which is working well, so the remote not working is a minor issue.

Good news - Everything else seems to be working great so far. Played both local content and streams to try it out. I would say that LibreElec is even a little faster than OpenElec, at least on this hardware. Hoping that LibreElec will "officially" embrace the Amlogic-based hardware, which OpenElec never did (until they put their own name on the Wetek box, and then it was only that particular player, of course)

• @All here
    There is now a general Amlogic community forum where you can post your S802 related problems and questions. Didn't read the last messages here, so if you still have problems, please create a thread in the Amlogic forum and describe your problems there. You will also find a pinned thread with links to my actual builds and proposals for creating a thread: LibreELEC

I will close this thread now. See ya in the Amlogic forum.