Posts by FORD

Even if AlexElec is working out for you at the moment, that will probably be about as far as you can go with the S812. Alex himself doesn't seem to be updating it, at least not as often as he does the 905/912/whatever other hardware he's building it for. I've actually managed to make it run on the now ancient S802 Matricom G-box Q, which is apparently identical to the S812 version, except for not playing H265 video (which I don't anyway) or possibly the wifi chip, which is not an issue as I use the ethernet port.

I'm planning on holding out myself for the next two months or so, and then see if anybody's got some ridiculous "Black Friday"/"Cyber Monday" deals on new hardware. Definitely looking at the RPi 4 rather than another Android box.

I have also installed AlexElec, and I'm having the same issue with the box not powering down, and having to pull the plug.

Installing to the SD card isn't the problem here, as I did a full installation to the NAND (not running Android/LE/anything else underneath)

The AlexElec forum is in Russian, so the information available there, via Google translate, isn't always easy to follow, if you aren't a native Russian speaker. From what I gather from the poorly translated page, Alex turned off the sleep mode by default, but this is something that should be configurable by SSH connection to the following location:

/storage/.config/sleep.conf.d

So far, I haven't found the right "magic words" to solve the issue yet, but I haven't bricked the box either, so hopefully I'm on the right track. Given the lack of a LibreElec for this hardware (so far) at least, the AlexElec has been a great alternative.... apart from this one issue of having to yank the power cord if I want to turn it off.

Thought I would try this build out on my Matricom G-Box Q, (S802 processor) since they can't work the bugs out of their Android releases, and there hasn't been an OpenElec update for this hardware in what seems like forever....

Bad news - The remote isn't working at all. And it reboots rather than powers down, but it goes into sleep/suspend mode just fine. And I have a Rii 18 keyboard which is working well, so the remote not working is a minor issue.

Good news - Everything else seems to be working great so far. Played both local content and streams to try it out. I would say that LibreElec is even a little faster than OpenElec, at least on this hardware. Hoping that LibreElec will "officially" embrace the Amlogic-based hardware, which OpenElec never did (until they put their own name on the Wetek box, and then it was only that particular player, of course)