Audio DSP manager in LE7.95.2

• After upgrading to LE7.95.2 I cannot open Audio DSP manager on Audio tab of System settings. It was working in LE7.90.008.

I am using adsp.biquad.filters for audio equalization. The EQ is still operating in LE7.95.2l, however I cannot access the graphical settings menu via Audio DSP manager.

Can you suggest any workaround to access audio manager? I tried with Kodi command "activatewindow(10154)". It opens the DSP manager window, however it is empty :(

• If audio is at all important to you, DO NOT upgrade to Krypton. The whole audio system is fubar. Maybe in a year or so. Or Kodi 18?

Please don't post nonsense like this or if you do say that it is in your opinion.

Krypton is a major refactoring and of course there are going to be some bugs but to say that the entire system is fubar is ridiculous. I use it everyday with great success on multiple devices.

• This change was stated in 7.90.009 release notes, and we have been explicitly instructed by upstream Kodi that ADSP is not supported yet and should not be available in Krypton hence there are no ADSP add-ons available in the repo used by 7.90.009 builds. In fact we're missing a patch to completely disable ADSP in code; we'll cook something up before 8.0.0 release (thanks for the reminder).

When the feature is considered fully-baked and supportable by its creators it will reappear. Until then, don't be over dramatic. Krypton has better audio support than any previous Kodi release.

• OK. In my opinion, Kodi 17 is not ready for final release.

I understand that there was a major refactoring in both the audio stack and the video player. However, I am far from the only one who has a problem with the decisions that have been made regarding audio issues. Number one being no passthrough for LiveTV (design choice, not a bug and won't be fixed according to devs.) Number two being buggy, intermittent passthrough in general.

Of course, if you only listen through the built in speakers on your TV or you don't mind never knowing when and if passthrough might actually work then Krypton is just dandy.

• This change was stated in 7.90.009 release notes, and we have been explicitly instructed by upstream Kodi that ADSP is not supported yet and should not be available in Krypton hence there are no ADSP add-ons available in the repo used by 7.90.009 builds. In fact we're missing a patch to completely disable ADSP in code; we'll cook something up before 8.0.0 release (thanks for the reminder).

When the feature is considered fully-baked and supportable by its creators it will reappear. Until then, don't be over dramatic. Krypton has better audio support than any previous Kodi release.

I know that Audio DSP is not officially supported due to issues, however I do not understand the efforts to make harder the usage what has been working. The ADSP addons were removed some release before (I think it was before LE 7.90.009) and now the ADSP manager cannot be opened in Kodi. Meanwhile ADSP is still working.
    There was an updated version of adsp.biquad.filters addon at an early stage of Krypton. I am still using this addon for EQ on my RPi, and it works like a charm. It still does the job in LE7.95.2 the only problem that the settings cannot be accessed. I cannot understand why this change has been made. What is the benefit of such change. New ADPS addons cannot be installed anyway due to removal from the repo, existing ADSP addons still work. What is the point of blocking the configuration of them?

• There was an updated version of adsp.biquad.filters addon at an early stage of Krypton. I am still using this addon for EQ on my RPi, and it works like a charm. It still does the job in LE7.95.2 the only problem that the settings cannot be accessed.

As I am an a quite similar situation, where can I get these addons? Unfortunately I don't have a backup of them.

Edited once, last by jochen02 (February 26, 2017 at 11:36 AM).

• Thank you. It's really not working from within the GUI. Thererfore I am going to wait until the bad decision re. DSP is revised and gone.

Use LE7.90.008. This contains the last Kodi version where graphical EQ GUI is working. BTW the EQ is still able to work in later releases with the inherited settings from 7.90.008. The additional problem is that ADSP is not working after restart. You have to disable/enable it then it works.
    So the removal of the ADSP support is done on a very odd way. It much more looks like a fault than and intended removal. :@

Edited once, last by sakos (February 26, 2017 at 4:15 PM).

• Use LE7.90.008. This contains the last Kodi version where graphical EQ GUI is working. BTW the EQ is still able to work in later releases with the inherited settings from 7.90.008.[/quote]I am a bit restricted in choosing another version because I have to use a version from the odroid forum since I am using DVB-T2 hardware not supported by older 3.x kernels.

• Use LE7.90.008. This contains the last Kodi version where graphical EQ GUI is working. BTW the EQ is still able to work in later releases with the inherited settings from 7.90.008.

I am a bit restricted in choosing another version because I have to use a version from the odroid forum since I am using DVB-T2 hardware not supported by older 3.x kernels.
    [/quote]
    LE7.90.008 contains 4.8.4 kernel

• So the removal of the ADSP support is done on a very odd way. It much more looks like a fault than and intended removal. :@

ADSP removal in the Final 8.0.0 release is completely intentional as the ADSP system remains unstable and crashes systems. Its removal in Final only looks odd because you're coming to it from an alpha/beta build where you could enable ADSP.

The fact some alpha/beta testers still have these unsupported alpha/beta ADSP add-ons installed is something we can't "undo", and is why those users still see these add-ons in their 8.0.0 system. Users coming to 8.0.0 from LE7 won't know anything about ADSP, and won't be able to enable it or install any ADSP add-ons.

tl;dr: there's not much we can do about add-ons installed by users during the alpha/beta cycle and which didn't make it into the official Final release.

Edited once, last by milhouse (February 26, 2017 at 9:59 PM).

• ADSP removal in the Final 8.0.0 release is completely intentional as the ADSP system remains unstable and crashes systems. Its removal in Final only looks odd because you're coming to it from an alpha/beta build where you could enable ADSP.

The fact some alpha/beta testers still have these unsupported alpha/beta ADSP add-ons installed is something we can't "undo", and is why those users still see these add-ons in their 8.0.0 system. Users coming to 8.0.0 from LE7 won't know anything about ADSP, and won't be able to enable it or install any ADSP add-ons.

tl;dr: there's not much we can do about add-ons installed by users during the alpha/beta cycle and which didn't make it into the official Final release.

milhouse, first of all thanks for your response and valuable work in LE. I really appreciate.

I am not sure if you had time to read the complete topic. My concern was not the removal of ADSP addons availability in 8.0.0 final.
    Instead the problem how Kodi works after that. The ADSP enable/disable option is still present in the system settings and it works. The previously installed ADSP addons are still working, only the access to the addon configuration window is blocked. It is odd.
    The correct way would have been making the ADSP checkbox grey and disabled by default. Then it would be obvious for anyone that the feature is blocked by decision.

Nevertheless, is there any progress in ADSP fix? When can the feature be expected back again?

• Ah OK, thanks, that might need to be addressed in 8.0.1.

Unfortunately I don't know when ADSP will be back, but it's unlikely to be in the lifetime of LE8/Kodi 17. Hopefully the remaining issues can be resolved during the development of Kodi 18 (the release of which is another 9-12 months from now).