USB Creator makes USB stick not bootable for pc

• This is all Linux stuff I suppose??? I am working from Windows 7.
    Install Grub Legacy? GRUB are files to make a stick bootable???

It seems simple to you, to me this is all new.

Create two partitions....with...diskpart???
    And after that?
    Pls help, if you want

Give my method a go Harribo, a couple of posts up. Really straight forward. Works for me, I'd tried the USB creator, Rufus, Win32DiskImager, none of them worked. The same flash drive was used in all instances.

• OK, Got this USB stick now bootable on my main pc!

What I did (Windows 7):

1. I used diskpart from the commandline to delete all partitions on the usb stick
    2. then I made a new one with diskpart : "create partition primary" and then exited diskpart.
    3. Windows (7) is after this coming up with a dialog with the question if you want to "format the usb stick"? I selected NO.(!)
    Before I did choose YES so maybe here is the difference? I chose NOT to format the usb stick in Windows.

4. Then I started RUFUS as administrator. I Choose 'Create bootable disk' and chose DD image en selected the LibreELEC gz file.
    Press START and did RUFUS write the image.

5. Ok, now my pc must boot this usb stick.
    My pc seems default to secure boot. This had to be disabled in my bios (got an Asus H97-PLUS MB).
    In the secure boot menu in my Bios, there I could chose "Windows UEFI Mode " or "Other OS".
    I chose "Other OS". (of course)

6. In the boot device menu of my Bios I chose to boot from "UEFI: (FAT) Mulitple Card Reader", so nót "Mulitple Card Reader", which is in fact the same usb stick.

This did do the job for me on my main pc.
    I thought, I will explain it here with pics, so maybe other people might find this useful.

Now I will test my stick on my older dualcore system, let you know

Edited once, last by Harribo (February 3, 2017 at 7:56 PM).

• Tried your way, no joy. Wiped the flash drive and used Openelec create_installstick.exe. Booted no problem, Intel NUCs can be strange things :)

• The options are default: automatic boot, tab gives the 'option' of 'installer live' . Maybe this is run from memory? Who knows. After that you get a choice of Quick Install, Repair/Upgrade or Logfile.
    And (apparently) since version 7, there is no option to install the 32bit version.

When booting from the USB stick you have three options: installer (the initial default), live (uses RAM for storage, ie. non-persistent) and run (uses USB stick for storage, ie. persistent). Both "live" and "run" will not write to your internal drives although they might be mounted which is useful for accessing media (or even recovering a system).

The USB stick will remember the last option used to boot the USB stick, making that option the new default, and the options you see listed when prompted for the boot option won't include the current default.

Since you only see "installer" and "live" this suggests you've already tried "run" which is now your default. Alternatively your USB stick is based on an old 7.0.x version of LibreELEC which doesn't include the "run" option.

LibreELEC has never supported 32-bit x86.

• Tried your way, no joy. Wiped the flash drive and used Openelec create_installstick.exe. Booted no problem, Intel NUCs can be strange things :)

Shame it did not work for you.
    So you use OpenELEC create_install.exe...and then you copy LibreElec files on it?

• Yep I use openelec 5.0.8 and swap the four files. Have a quick read of my method it's really easy.

Easy...but how do you unpack the img file?
    create_installstick.exe....does it exist? I read that with the new downloads this file has been removed

Stick would not work on my older pc....horrible
    I am really getting somewhat frustrated....I am using Windows, that is different than using Linux

Edited once, last by Harribo (February 6, 2017 at 4:57 PM).

• Easy...but how do you unpack the img file?
    create_installstick.exe....does it exist? I read that with the new downloads this file has been removed

Stick would not work on my older pc....horrible
    I am really getting somewhat frustrated....I am using Windows, that is different than using Linux

Use the Libreelec USB creator to create the USB stick. Explore the USB stick . In there you'll find KERNEL, KERNEL.md5, SYSTEM and SYSTEM.md5. These are the files you need. Go here Index of / and download OpenELEC-Generic.i386-5.0.8.tar . Extract the .tar to a folder. Within that folder you'll find one called 'Target', replace the 4 files inside that with the ones from the USB stick as mentioned earlier. Within the Openelec folder is create_installstick.exe use this to create your USB stick. You may have to re partition your stick fat32 active partition prior to this.

Edited once, last by StuinUK (February 7, 2017 at 9:05 PM).

• More and more I get the impression that it is my old pc here whats the problem.
    I read that older hp pc's have the boot from usb option in the bios. But that seems not to be for booting from an usb stick but an external hdd, connected via usb.

That will explain very much.
    I made a Lubuntu bootable usb stick. My normal pc again boots fine. But again not my old pc.
    My old pc is a hp dc7700 sff with bios 1.15. Old.

I read something about Plop boot manager, maybe I will give that a try.
    Otherwise I have to burn this LibreElec to a bootable cd.

Edited once, last by Harribo (February 6, 2017 at 7:35 PM).

• More and more I get the impression that it is my old pc here whats the problem.
    I read that older hp pc's have the boot from usb option in the bios. But that seems not to be for booting from an usb stick but an external hdd, connected via usb.

That will explain very much.
    I made a Lubuntu bootable usb stick. My normal pc again boots fine. But again not my old pc.
    My old pc is a hp dc7700 sff with bios 1.15. Old.

I read something about Plop boot manager, maybe I will give that a try.
    Otherwise I have to burn this LibreElec to a bootable cd.

There is a newer Bios 1.16 (11 oct 2011) your prsent one 1.15 (13 Aug 2008) it should boot from a flash drive (see below)

I think this is yours http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=3232108&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=2104

• Thanks
    Although nowhere is stated that this will fix the usb stick boot.
    I dont know where you found that text about booting from an usb flash device but till now no bootable usb stick seems to work on this pc. Tried also several usb ports.
    But maybe I will give it a try.

• Ok thanks
    Got the Lubuntu usb stick working on the dc7700!

In the BIOS under Storage there is an option: "Boot from removable media". It was disabled, I enabled it.

Now its late, maybe tomorrow I test LibreElec.

• Use the Libreelec USB creator to create the USB stick. Explore the USB stick . In there you'll find KERNEL, KERNEL.md5, SYSTEM and SYSTEM.md5. These are the files you need. Go here Index of / and download OpenELEC-Generic.i386-5.0.8.tar . Extract the .tar to a folder. Within that folder you'll find one called 'Target', replace those 4 files with the ones from the USB stick as mentioned earlier. Within the Openelec folder is create_installstick.exe use this to create your USB stick. You may have to re partition your stick fat32 active partition prior to this.

This worked for me (yay!) with older Intel motherboard. LibreELEC v7.0.3/Kodi 16.1 installed to 2G USB stick. Initially I couldn't change skins or install any Weather aps, but after working with the repositories, was able to and everything works just great! Thanks to all here. Greatly appreciated!

• Ok now I tried to create a bootable usb stick with LibreElec on it for my old dc7700.
    Again it does not work.
    I created one with this LibreElec tool and one with Rufus.

Something seems not be working well with this lib distro.
    I will see what to do nexr. I dont lots of time everyday

• Use the Libreelec USB creator to create the USB stick. Explore the USB stick . In there you'll find KERNEL, KERNEL.md5, SYSTEM and SYSTEM.md5. These are the files you need. Go here Index of / and download OpenELEC-Generic.i386-5.0.8.tar . Extract the .tar to a folder. Within that folder you'll find one called 'Target', replace the 4 files inside that with the ones from the USB stick as mentioned earlier. Within the Openelec folder is create_installstick.exe use this to create your USB stick. You may have to re partition your stick fat32 active partition prior to this.

This worked! Thanks a lot!!
    So for older pcs, dont use the LibreElec usb tool but this method.

Edited once, last by Harribo (February 9, 2017 at 1:52 PM).