Posts by StuinUK

Thanks
    Although nowhere is stated that this will fix the usb stick boot.
    I dont know where you found that text about booting from an usb flash device but till now no bootable usb stick seems to work on this pc. Tried also several usb ports.
    But maybe I will give it a try.

This link should open a .pdf from HP . http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=3232029&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c01302182

More and more I get the impression that it is my old pc here whats the problem.
    I read that older hp pc's have the boot from usb option in the bios. But that seems not to be for booting from an usb stick but an external hdd, connected via usb.

That will explain very much.
    I made a Lubuntu bootable usb stick. My normal pc again boots fine. But again not my old pc.
    My old pc is a hp dc7700 sff with bios 1.15. Old.

I read something about Plop boot manager, maybe I will give that a try.
    Otherwise I have to burn this LibreElec to a bootable cd.

There is a newer Bios 1.16 (11 oct 2011) your prsent one 1.15 (13 Aug 2008) it should boot from a flash drive (see below)

I think this is yours http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=3232108&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=2104

Easy...but how do you unpack the img file?
    create_installstick.exe....does it exist? I read that with the new downloads this file has been removed

Stick would not work on my older pc....horrible
    I am really getting somewhat frustrated....I am using Windows, that is different than using Linux

Use the Libreelec USB creator to create the USB stick. Explore the USB stick . In there you'll find KERNEL, KERNEL.md5, SYSTEM and SYSTEM.md5. These are the files you need. Go here Index of / and download OpenELEC-Generic.i386-5.0.8.tar . Extract the .tar to a folder. Within that folder you'll find one called 'Target', replace the 4 files inside that with the ones from the USB stick as mentioned earlier. Within the Openelec folder is create_installstick.exe use this to create your USB stick. You may have to re partition your stick fat32 active partition prior to this.

Tried your way, no joy. Wiped the flash drive and used Openelec create_installstick.exe. Booted no problem, Intel NUCs can be strange things :)

This is all Linux stuff I suppose??? I am working from Windows 7.
    Install Grub Legacy? GRUB are files to make a stick bootable???

It seems simple to you, to me this is all new.

Create two partitions....with...diskpart???
    And after that?
    Pls help, if you want

Give my method a go Harribo, a couple of posts up. Really straight forward. Works for me, I'd tried the USB creator, Rufus, Win32DiskImager, none of them worked. The same flash drive was used in all instances.

My Intel NUC refused to boot from my flash drive created with the Libreelec USB creator utility. No way Pedro whatever I tried !.

I knew it would boot of a flash drive made using the create_installstick.exe from Openelec.

So I downloaded OpenELEC-Generic.i386-5.0.8 and extracted it to a folder on my PC.

Then I installed LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.0.3.img.gz to my flash drive using the Libreelec USB creator.

I opened the Openelec folder and opened the folder 'target' and deleted the four files inside.

Now I explored the files on my USB flash drive and copied KERNEL, KERNEL.md5, SYSTEM and SYSTEM.md5 from there to the folder 'target' within my Openelec folder.

Using MiniTool Partition Wizard Free I deleted all the partitions on my Flash drive repartitioned and formatted it.

Open the Openelec folder and use create_installstick.exe to create the Bootable flash drive

Booted my troublesome NUC of it and worked perfectly. (Previously I had to install Openelec first and update to Libreelec from there. )