Posts by pvchandler

Laptops are not target hardware for this HTPC box oriented project so it's the kind of thing where we'd ask the user to figure out what changes are required; then we can evaluate their proposed solution for inclusion. We are not against supporting things, but we also need to keep focussed on what our target audience is, and we are constantly striving to avoid "the death of a thousand cuts" where many "little" code additions accumulate and become significant over time.

Completely understood and one of my 'loves' is how small, streamlined and quick LE is. My thinking is that an add-on for a relatively limited number of users such as myself (...user, not programmer) might be an option, but I'm only guessing and suggesting.

Does FN + left/right control the brightness when Kodi is running under Ubuntu & Windows ? I would think FN + left/right would be independent of the OS.

Edit: It seems there is an FN Key driver involved and it may not be compatible with all operating systems. Since Libreelec is not a true (full-size) operating system, it may not contain the FN Key drivers necessary to control brightness up/dn on your laptop.

Read the paragraph titled "Fix 3. Update the Fn keys driver" on this page: [Solved] Function Keys Not Working on Laptop - Driver Easy

This same laptop has 3 boot options: (1) Internal HD Win-7 functions work, (2) USB3 w/Ubuntu 16.04 functions work, (3) USB2 w/LE no function. Concerning drivers, they're correctly loaded for Windows (Driver Easy is for Windows only) & Ubuntu. Thanks for the thought, I appreciate your input.

Recent purchase of a like-new Acer Aspire One 725-0802 laptop (netbook.) Under Ubuntu & Windows FN+up/down (audio) & FN+left/right( (brightness) works normally. Under LE 8.2.2 same audio keys control Kodi volume with duplicate effect as F9/F10 (the Kodi control, not underlying system control) & the FN+left/right for brightness do nothing leaving the screen at 100% bright. My best guess here is that the drivers are incorrect for that keyboard, but everything else works flawlessly. Windows reports it as "Standard PS/2 Keyboard". Debug log of D-Bus calls attached. Any ideas, or is there something I've missed? Thanks.

Excellent as always and I'll thank you again. New installation today that worked smoothly (yes, initial run takes some time) and I very much like the colors/series icons. I'd noticed in 0.3.1 that you'd added station/channel icons, and I see in 0.3.5 XML file the web addresses. But how do these import?

You're probably correct on the permissions issue. Tvheadend is pretty particular on that. You could try to search for one of the other (32) grabber files and see what the permission settings are on that.

If you're only using the system as a tv/streaming backend - I think installing LE would serve you well as it is lighter weight than a full ubuntu install. I use my raspberry pi for my tvheadend and video file backend and stream it to many different devices. You can customize the samba share so that you can easily access any files/folders you want.

Of course - the other option is to run the zap2xml addon on a different syste and just tell your ubuntu install to look at that other system for the xmltv.xml file. Lots of options. :)

Just a quick update... I ditched the Ubuntu idea (Ubuntu remains on HD,) and created a new LE stick (just a 2G USB2) which lets me 'serve' from that desktop, and still have Ubuntu which I will continue to use for my weekly backups and other functions. With that computer and it's tuner card running LE 8.0.1 I'm even getting used to Estuary! All of my media is now served from this small/light OS, and also serves the TV streams and now the EPG. Of course all of the addresses (links) needed to be updated, as well as cleaning/rebuilding libraries, but certainly worth the effort. I'll use another desktop in the bedroom which will not only deliver all the media, but allows me to have a (mostly) zero cost TV tuner for an old analog-tube TV, and with this one machine it will stream all media. Your script 'completes the package' making LE/Kodi a full media system.
    During the summer I enjoy movies/TV while sunbathing, and having my laptop(s) point to this new server function, its now better than ever and I'm thrilled.
    My living room media player is an older desktop, and because I fell in love with the Neon skin (sounds like that won't be updated to the newer Kodi versions (but there are lots of skins...)) so I have OE6.0.3 w/Kodi 15.2 and Neon running there on USB. The script hasn't failed on any of these installations, so I'll agree with the others that it's where it needs to be and I (personally) would like to see it published for the users in U.S. Thanks again and congratulations (to all) on some truly impressive software. I'm indebted.... ;)

@pvchandler glad it worked for you!

To get the grabber running on a non-LE system...I think the key is determining where to install the grabber file and making sure it is executable. Do a search on the ubuntu system for the tv_grab_zap2xml file. If it is installed in the appropriate kodi addon folder it is likely just an issue with permissions. Check to see if the file is executable. If not, use the chmod +x command to make the file executable. Then reboot and see if the grabber shows up in tvheadend.

Thanks for the quick reply!
    Searching (Nautilus) for hidden files/folders from any given point (CTRL-H) shows...

On the known good LibreELEC 7.0.3/USB drive, find: /media/paul/Storage/.kodi/addons/script.module.zap2xml/bin/tv_grab_zap2xml. Looking at permissions here, under 'owner' and 'group' it shows 'root' and the check mark for 'Execute'.

On the Ubuntu 16.04LTS Desktop, find: /home/paul/.kodi/addons/script.module.zap2xml/bin/tv_grab_zap2xml. Location is probably correct, and permissions show Owner as Me, and Group as Paul; all 'Read and write' and I was able to simply click the box for the check mark (Execute: x Allow executing file as a program). I believe that this check box is the same as 'chmod +x'.

TVHeadEnd still not pulling in the new module.

Two guesses here: either file needs to be changed to 'root' (I don't know how to to that) or these 32 other XMLTV listings are interfering (unknown how they got there or how to delete.)

Another offshoot idea I've had (might try tomorrow) is to create a new USB drive for that 'Desktop/server' computer; bootable running LibreElec, and share drives/files from there via its internal Samba, then having the laptops point there for shared files and TV stream. In other words, I'm not demanding that that computer run Ubuntu as it currently is. Thanks again,
    Paul.

This is brilliant! Many thanks for all the work. As a rookie user, I got brave last night and installed the script on my NUC w/LibreELEC 7.0.3 on USB2 and after a little configuration on the TVHeadEnd web screen I was overjoyed! I also have a tuner and TVHeadEnd (v.4.0.9) installed on an older Intel motherboard that I use running Ubuntu 16.04LTS Desktop with Samba to serve my library and OTA (antenna TV streams) to other laptops on the network and attempted the script installation there (yes, I understand that the script is for Open/Libre and NOT other Kodi platforms such as this.) Things look fine until I ask for the XMLTV module under TVHeadEnd web page at Configuration>Channel/EPG>EPG Grabber>Module. Available there is 'Disabled' and 32 other XMLTV listings, but 'tv_grab_zap2xml' doesn't show. I understand that I may be asking for the impossible here, but would there possibly be a simple fix so that the module would show and the EPG be available to the laptops? I know that this is asking a lot and is somewhat unrelated to the thread here, but... if you don't ask, the answer is always 'no'. Many thanks again.

Use the Libreelec USB creator to create the USB stick. Explore the USB stick . In there you'll find KERNEL, KERNEL.md5, SYSTEM and SYSTEM.md5. These are the files you need. Go here Index of / and download OpenELEC-Generic.i386-5.0.8.tar . Extract the .tar to a folder. Within that folder you'll find one called 'Target', replace those 4 files with the ones from the USB stick as mentioned earlier. Within the Openelec folder is create_installstick.exe use this to create your USB stick. You may have to re partition your stick fat32 active partition prior to this.

This worked for me (yay!) with older Intel motherboard. LibreELEC v7.0.3/Kodi 16.1 installed to 2G USB stick. Initially I couldn't change skins or install any Weather aps, but after working with the repositories, was able to and everything works just great! Thanks to all here. Greatly appreciated!

I also have the same problem. MOBO is Intel DQ965GF (older, dual core.) Boots fine with USB created Ubuntu (64-bit) installation, but with any OpenELEC or LibreELEC USB installation, computer returns "insert bootable..." I've attempted all BIOS settings (Legacy, UEFI on/off) with no luck. From what I can guess, this is a situation of the USB installer creating the bootable drive that's incompatible with this motherboard/bios. Because installations work fine with Ubuntu 64-bit, we can eliminate bad USB drives or corrupted files (multiple attempts/downloads.) I tried using Rufus, but because this is an IMG file (here & OpenELEC) I can't change any of the settings (IMG defaults to "DD" for IMG) and results are same. If the IMG file could be converted to ISO, I could possibly boot from CD/DVD, but everything I've read says this can't be done. Any suggestions? Thanks.